RTX 3080

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I love it! Finally some insight!

I agree with you also. Believe it or not we are a bespoke seat manufacturer as well. Unfortunately, I cannot give you name of the company without impeding my own safety. But the scale should give you an idea of how big we really are. On our site currently we employ 4000 associates across 3 single shifts. By associates I mean operators.

We have a Bespoke department which is split into 3 other sub department levels. These departments handle nearly 17000 unique part levels a year. And normally they won’t touch the same part twice 😧. According to the BOM analyst on site the procurement of parts is purely down to the specification of the customer, which means versatility is key. We understand that at the level of bespoke or unique parts used it is imperative that we give accurate build data and build times to the customer. The affluent market we target is probably the same market that PCS sell their pc’s at the £5000 market.

Parts and build processes can always be refined based upon doing simple 5Y exercises to eliminate any waste or complications.

Maybe this is something that PCS are currently doing.

I'm an MRP controller believe it or not 😂 (not sure what the equivalent role would be, I've gone through so many title changes)

So, to quickly summarise. I believe PCS operate exactly the same way as your bespoke department will. The crux of the matter this "weather" is that the one part that every customer wants is on an unknown leadtime, with unknown delivery schedule, and an unknown quantity dispatched...... literally..... and all they are getting from the supplier is, my guess, if's and but's. Couple in with that a suggested NDA where you cannot talk about any of the stock levels received/confirmed/committed and it makes it a very foggy environment.

Save for that particular host of unknowns (Nvidia cards), the rest can be reasonably managed and estimated reasonably. The system does work, genuinely. Initially Covid kicked it right square in the proverbial but the team bounced back and then got absolutely slammed with the Nvidia *cough* launch.

I'm an MRP controller believe it or not 😂 (not sure what the equivalent role would be, I've gone through so many title changes)

So, to quickly summarise. I believe PCS operate exactly the same way as your bespoke department will. The crux of the matter this "weather" is that the one part that every customer wants is on an unknown leadtime, with unknown delivery schedule, and an unknown quantity dispatched...... literally..... and all they are getting from the supplier is, my guess, if's and but's. Couple in with that a suggested NDA where you cannot talk about any of the stock levels received/confirmed/committed and it makes it a very foggy environment.

Save for that particular host of unknowns (Nvidia cards), the rest can be reasonably managed and estimated reasonably. The system does work, genuinely. Initially Covid kicked it right square in the proverbial but the team bounced back and then got absolutely slammed with the Nvidia *cough* launch.
I would say you’re the equivalent to our Materials Analyst positions. To be honest if I was to break down their job descriptions I would be talking out my backside (apologies for the french). I let the professionals do their jobs until they affect mine 😂

If they do have an NDA on all lead times for part shortages and delays, that would make complete sense. A series of suppliers that we used originally had the same arrangements however we decided we wanted to to be a completely transparent company for our customers sake. Which we are big enough to make the amendments without causing constrictive delays to our delivery times. Also, we tend to lead our suppliers not be led. But again, that’s down to our size and market placement.

The Nvidia launch was a complete disaster. To be honest any manufacturer or supplier would agree that to release a new product and not understand the market place currently is sac-religious for any marketing team. Covid19 has proven one thing, and that is online spending is going through the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have done everything from running production scheduling systems on Lotus/Excel and MS Project to manually doing the same on magnetic wall charts, to sticking performance metrics on posters around a manufacturing plant at 3am on Sunday so they're ready for the next shift cycle.

Lately we've also (as have everyone of course) had to deal with the additional effects of COVID on the supply chain. For example helping to keep track of 32000 SKUs (with many more at BOM/component level) across 255 suppliers in 107 countries. We have a very good team, and we're keeping on top of it, but you can see the pressure they're under as this is all on top of their normal workload of writing, renewing, extending or amending contracts & supply agreements.

...and [insert deity of choice here] help any manager who tries to micro-manage them over MS Teams to chase them up for something.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The Nvidia launch was a complete disaster. To be honest any manufacturer or supplier would agree that to release a new product and not understand the market place currently is sac-religious for any marketing team. Covid19 has proven one thing, and that is online spending is going through the roof.

Oh believe me, they know fine well. It's what's referred to as a soft launch basically. They will deny it, but I think the evidence is there for all to see.

They HAD to get their brand out there and the bees all buzzing around it. They have made a cracking product, at a reasonably fair price..... so the demand is high. The more their cards are in the press/forums/social media outlets.... the better. Even the negative press is because of how good a product it is, how highly sought after it is and how hard it is to get one..... that's all good press.

Nvidia have been in a good place up until now, the profits will be rolling in...... negative press is due to how popular their product is (good)..... but it may all come crashing down if the AMD offering is a proper launch. People will jump ship, given the numbers I've seen so far, if availability is there. This is where their early launch may go against them. I'm sure they will all sleep soundly on their beds of money though.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
All the talk of JIT, Kaizen, etc have given me flashbacks to Business Studies A level...

tenor.gif

Voeille

Bronze Level Poster
I literally follow this thread because I'm curious as to when Nvidia will sort their stock issues out but I have to say these are the weirdest flex posts I've ever seen.

All these posters like "I'm a 5 Star PooperScooper so I know stock control" :LOL:
There are times at work when I basically do nothing else but flex for the whole day...

My order is awaiting dispatch now. That spectral PC I ordered a long time ago is finally becoming a tangible being.

I literally follow this thread because I'm curious as to when Nvidia will sort their stock issues out but I have to say these are the weirdest flex posts I've ever seen.

All these posters like "I'm a 5 Star PooperScooper so I know stock control" :LOL:
😅 Flex posting. This is the 21st century. Next you will be asking for C.V’s as a proof of honesty/integrity!

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I would have swapped but was told I'm reasonably close to the front of the queue, if enough arrive this week it could go into build end of the week.
Though I'm worried about the psu being out of stock but had no reply yet and can't get through on phone.

6800xt hasn't appeared for me in the configurator anyway.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I would have swapped but was told I'm reasonably close to the front of the queue, if enough arrive this week it could go into build end of the week.
Though I'm worried about the psu being out of stock but had no reply yet and can't get through on phone.

Fingers crossed the PSU stock is there for you. :)

Furgiar

Go on, with reasonably close to the front of the queue, what was your order date/time? :) Out of curiosity of course. ;)

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
Given I was only 8 days in I've swapped to the 6800xt as well. If there is no movement and the price isn't too much more I might go for the 6900 when that comes out.

Have to rethink my monitor though, as was planning to get one with gsync.