RTX 3080

amiwood18

Bronze Level Poster
Are the builds for the normal RTX 3080 still on the day of release or have others that ordered after the 17th went into building yet?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
@Scott Would you recommend 1440p 240Hz for the 3080 or would it still be 4K minimum?
I know you asked Scott, but I would still be leaning towards 4k over 1440p 240Hz, but there is a bit more of a case for a 1440p 240Hz over 1440p 144Hz. I've had to get the calculator out as I don't trust my maths, and this is kinda numbers heavy. Apologies to any non-maths minded people!

A 4k 144Hz monitor has 3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels and runs at upto 144 FPS, which is 8,294,400x144 = 1,194,393,600 total frames per second for the screen.
A 1440p 240 Hz has 2560x1440 = 3,686,400 pixels and at 240 FPS is 3,686,400x240 = 884,736,000 total FPS. The 4k screen can handle approximately a quarter higher FPS and as the 3080 can max out the 4k in a pretty good number of titles, the 1440 240Hz monitor is going to be a bottle neck over the 4k.
For the sake of completion 1440p 144Hz is 2560x1440 = 3,686,400x144 = 530,841,600 so has less than half the pixels of the 4k so the 3080 would be severely bottlenecked by the monitor.
Rather than a standard 1440p monitor, going Superwide (Samsung G9!) would arguably get the very best out of the 3080 as that screen has 5120x1440 = 7,372,800 pixels and runs at 240Hz, so runs at 7,372,800x240 = 1,769,472,000 total FPS, which is even higher than a 4k 144Hz screen, which is why I feel they're probably the better value, at least in this metric.

It's gone midnight here and my bed is calling me, but I'm hoping my methodology is clear enough to follow should you wish to crunch further numbers, perhaps 1440 ultrawide as that'd be inbetween the 1440p and superwide.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know you asked Scott, but I would still be leaning towards 4k over 1440p 240Hz, but there is a bit more of a case for a 1440p 240Hz over 1440p 144Hz. I've had to get the calculator out as I don't trust my maths, and this is kinda numbers heavy. Apologies to any non-maths minded people!

A 4k 144Hz monitor has 3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels and runs at upto 144 FPS, which is 8,294,400x144 = 1,194,393,600 total frames per second for the screen.
A 1440p 240 Hz has 2560x1440 = 3,686,400 pixels and at 240 FPS is 3,686,400x240 = 884,736,000 total FPS. The 4k screen can handle approximately a quarter higher FPS and as the 3080 can max out the 4k in a pretty good number of titles, the 1440 240Hz monitor is going to be a bottle neck over the 4k.
For the sake of completion 1440p 144Hz is 2560x1440 = 3,686,400x144 = 530,841,600 so has less than half the pixels of the 4k so the 3080 would be severely bottlenecked by the monitor.
Rather than a standard 1440p monitor, going Superwide (Samsung G9!) would arguably get the very best out of the 3080 as that screen has 5120x1440 = 7,372,800 pixels and runs at 240Hz, so runs at 7,372,800x240 = 1,769,472,000 total FPS, which is even higher than a 4k 144Hz screen, which is why I feel they're probably the better value, at least in this metric.

It's gone midnight here and my bed is calling me, but I'm hoping my methodology is clear enough to follow should you wish to crunch further numbers, perhaps 1440 ultrawide as that'd be inbetween the 1440p and superwide.
This is a rudimentary view of pixels per second, but it is a good metric to go by.

I would strongly agree with it also.

While 1440p 240Hz is a thing, it's only going to be noticed by a very small percentage of people as most can't appreciate anything over 120Hz.

Superwide or 4k 144Hz is the only decent pairing with a 3080.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
This is a rudimentary view of pixels per second, but it is a good metric to go by.

I would strongly agree with it also.

While 1440p 240Hz is a thing, it's only going to be noticed by a very small percentage of people as most can't appreciate anything over 120Hz.

Superwide or 4k 144Hz is the only decent pairing with a 3080.
With a C grade at Maths GCSE, rudimentary is about the best I can do. I'm glad that my metric makes sense to somebody else though, so you can see what I was aiming for.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for that! Definitely looks like imma have to spend a bit more than planned on a monitor but I do what I must 😂 I don't think I would go with the G9 as I can't bring myself to spend that much on a monitor atm but the £700-£800 4K ones I can at least contemplate getting. I will take a more detailed look closer to my PC being built as I think it still has at least a month to go. Thanks for your help!

Its Also gone midnight for me but what is sleep xD
Sleep is for the tired.... that's a bit obvious... what's not obvious is why I'm not tired? o_O

kozuki

Enthusiast
while you're all out here talking big monitors and stuff, i'm sitting here with my xiaomi 34″ ultrawide for 450eu (that's gone down to 380-400eu now in EU warehouses). best bang for buck tech, can't wait to fully use all of its power

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for that! Definitely looks like imma have to spend a bit more than planned on a monitor but I do what I must 😂 I don't think I would go with the G9 as I can't bring myself to spend that much on a monitor atm but the £700-£800 4K ones I can at least contemplate getting. I will take a more detailed look closer to my PC being built as I think it still has at least a month to go. Thanks for your help!

However, from benchmarks I have seen the 3080 cant really run 4K at anywhere near 144FPS doesn't that make the 144hz redundant? Sorry, I don't really know how Refresh rates work.
G9 Def too pricey for me to comfotably consider buying it, plus no free sync support for rx6800xt (I think) and it would barely fit on my desk and I would in theory have to relegate my pc rig to the floor which I rather not. iiyama red eagle flat 34 inch is plenty for me

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
while you're all out here talking big monitors and stuff, i'm sitting here with my xiaomi for 450eu (that's gone down to 380-400eu now in EU warehouses). best bang for buck tech, can't wait to fully use all of its power
That's an astoundingly good monitor for the price, it's a really premium panel, up there with ones more like £500 - 600

kozuki

Enthusiast
That's an astoundingly good monitor for the price, it's a really premium panel, up there with ones more like £500 - 600
yup, the only thing to improve here is reduce reaction time from 4ms to 1ms and it would be top tier (for that price range), but considering what you get for the price anyway, it's more than you could want

scarpa1

Enthusiast

However, from benchmarks I have seen the 3080 cant really run 4K at anywhere near 144FPS doesn't that make the 144hz redundant? Sorry, I don't really know how Refresh rates work.
Could pick up some good deals next week with it being black friday. I have a number of monitors I'm looking at, PC may come next week as well so hopefully one of the monitors will have a good deal, though I guess all the ones you want wont have much if anything off.

If I can't find what I want next week I may even hold off and just use the PC on my LG CX 4k 120hz TV for any gaming and on my old 4k 60hz monitor for web browsing etc until I find a monitor I want instead of buying something for the sake of it.
I want a 4k one as I prefer looks to FPS, the LG CX will probably look just as good as anything really but its just too big at 55inch for regular use, even the 48" could be too much even for me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
See I never watch TV and whenever I use consoles I use my crappy 1080p 60hz monitor so I don't have anything near 4K or above 1080p to use so when I get my PC I'm gonna have to get a new one or its gonna be 1080p for a while. 😂

But yeah imma have a look at any deals that appear. What sites would people recommend for monitors?
Amazon, Overclockers, Currys would be the best for returns policy.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Yeah G9 is definitely a no for now. My University used IIyama monitors so I don't think of them as gaming-oriented but I will take a look :D

As I also go Games Design I want a monitor that has good colour etc to help with that
If you are with nvidia rtx 3000 series gpu maybe it would be a good idea look out for monitors with gsync support. Something like G7 offers gsync

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you are with nvidia rtx 3000 series gpu maybe it would be a good idea look out for monitors with gsync support. Something like G7 offers gsync
I wouldn’t recommend GSYnc over freesync, now AMD are competitive again, you never know what your next gpu may be. I wouldn’t limit your options by going gsync.

Most monitors these days in the high end are gsync compatible anyway which is freesync.

All Samsung’s are freesync

NatPic

Are the builds for the normal RTX 3080 still on the day of release or have others that ordered after the 17th went into building yet?
Mine was ordered on 18th Sept, 11:31am. Went into building, testing and awaiting dispatch all yesterday - very quick once they have the cards. Standard RTX3080, the rest of my parts must have all been sat ready to go. Yesterday my order was on 45 working days.

The queue is definitely moving, it just doesn't feel like it at times!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Mine was ordered on 18th Sept, 11:31am. Went into building, testing and awaiting dispatch all yesterday - very quick once they have the cards. Standard RTX3080, the rest of my parts must have all been sat ready to go. Yesterday my order was on 45 working days.

The queue is definitely moving, it just doesn't feel like it at times!
Queuing is horrible. It's horrible in computers as well. By far the biggest impact on performance (apart from resource exhaustion) is queuing. We call it 'bottlenecking' but in fact what's happening is that faster processes are queuing up trying to access whatever is causing the bottleneck. When the hardware experts on here talk about a 'balanced' build they mean one where there should be no queuing. One reason why SSDs make such a difference to performance is not just their raw speed, it's that the speed means there is much less queuing for the device.

Perhaps these awful and frustrating experiences that you guys and ladies are going through has a positive aspect? You're now better able to appreciate how bad queuing is in your PC and how much it's worth devoting time and planning to ensure that it doesn't happen! :)

Voeille

Bronze Level Poster
It's here! It arrived right after 7AM (both me and my better half were asleep but I heard the doorbell), which was very unexpected, so now I'm having fun installing Windows updates. But even such basic things like opening folders etc. are so fast compared to my laptop that it's just unbelievable. I had to take a day off as I would not possibly be able to focus on work properly (too excited!), but my manager understands. I may post pictures at the weekend (won't be great though as the PC is in the corner).

The 3080 I got is a Zotac. Everything was well packaged and undamaged. And, most importantly, the PCS book was in there despite the email they were out of stock...