RTX 3080

doof

Nice to see the 970 getting a few mentions over the past couple of pages on this thread. I had (and still have safely stored in a box) the MSI variant with the large bit of red paintwork around one fan and go-faster stripes. That card served me very well.
The 970 has been great to me too. I replaced my old 580 after it melted in 2015 with a 970, and for 1080p gaming, it was a fantastic card. I never felt the need to upgrade.

Until I bought a 1440p 144hz monitor that is. Then I felt the need to consider an upgrade, and the 30 series reveal was super impressive.

But for 1080p 60hz gaming, the 970 is still a good card today :)

But how does it look compared to the teasers we’ve seen over the past year and what settings are you running? I’d be interested to see some screenshots if you get a chance 👍
cyberpunk running on my 1080 ultra settings ;D ( well what i think it would look like )

Attachments

• cyberpunk.jpg
    cyberpunk.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 249

ReggieBaby

I kinda had that issue, i wanted to turn my lights off. Did the update and it failed then went to a strobing light on the card and i couldnt turn off. They send out a manual update for it if you ask. That worked for me. And incase you are wondering why i would want lights off.....I have a 2 year old xD.
All good now. Tried the update again and it worked!

P.S moderators on hear are quality. I have had some great advice!! Little tips like the type of warranty and the WIFI/Bluetooth card which cost hardly anything has made a massive difference. Keep up the good work.

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
Nice to see the 970 getting a few mentions over the past couple of pages on this thread. I had (and still have safely stored in a box) the MSI variant with the large bit of red paintwork around one fan and go-faster stripes. That card served me very well.
On my second Palit GTX 970 (first mysteriously died shortly after I started researching the 3000 series ... I am guessing it died of a broken heart). The 970 was state of the art in 2015, although I waited until 2016 to upgrade to it. Currently working my way through RDR2 and it all looks great to me. As did Metro Exodus, Battlefield I and Fay Cry 5.

The (stock) 3080 will be a big improvement but I am trying not to think about it. Still on pre-production of 26 days, so it is going to be a while.

Hoping that this will also last me five years. So I will be back here in 2025 anxiously waiting for a build with an 8000 series. Note to future self: Place order as soon as the pre-order becomes available.

AzhMoh

Haven't upgraded my PC in a loooong time now, with not doing as much graphics work at home and more games on consoles. So going from my current 670 to a 3080 whenever it arrives is going to be something 😅😁

polycrac

Rising Star
I'VE GIVEN UP (after 52 working days)

Way too much uncertainly at PCS and indeed globally for 3080s to keep it my order. I've removed the ASUS Strix from my system build (still keeping my AMD 5900x) in the hope of getting it delivered in a couple of weeks. I've just been offered a ASUS 3080 TUF OC for £1050 from a scalper. Would you go for it? My other option it to stick my current 2080 into my new PCS system and wait for the 3080 situation to stabilise.
Put the 2080 in and enjoy. Not only is it a great card that will do fine and still look after you for some time, you get to shop for electronic toys AGAIN when there is finally stock to upgrade to at a reasonable price. By then there might be other, better options too. I freely admit to being a bit of a ponce about graphics settings but once you turn off that FPS counter and just ask yourself what settings make the game look good and play right, turns out I might have been mugging myself a bit chasing the max FPS. Think of the games you want to play being future-proofed: when you do upgrade you get to enjoy them again as they get a re-paint. I certainly wouldn't want to reward scalpers, that just wouldn't sit right with me.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
But PCS are short on Asus 3080 Strix? or on all 3080 series? i got wee confused there :D
Take a read of this & i think you'll get the picture

Stevewtw

Bronze Level Poster
Put the 2080 in and enjoy. Not only is it a great card that will do fine and still look after you for some time, you get to shop for electronic toys AGAIN when there is finally stock to upgrade to at a reasonable price. By then there might be other, better options too. I freely admit to being a bit of a ponce about graphics settings but once you turn off that FPS counter and just ask yourself what settings make the game look good and play right, turns out I might have been mugging myself a bit chasing the max FPS. Think of the games you want to play being future-proofed: when you do upgrade you get to enjoy them again as they get a re-paint. I certainly wouldn't want to reward scalpers, that just wouldn't sit right with me.
You guys are right and I refused the offer for a 3080 I had from a scalper. I'll wait for things to settle and who knows, they might even have a 3080ti by then!

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
You guys are right and I refused the offer for a 3080 I had from a scalper. I'll wait for things to settle and who knows, they migth even have a 3080ti by then.
It wouldn't surprise me if the 3080Ti AIB models are somewhere round that scalper's price for a 3080 - got a feeling Nvidia are going to price the 3080Ti around £900 to a grand as it'll likely beat a 6900XT while being competitive on price and the AIBs tend to be a little more than the FE cards.

I feel you've made the right decision there.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It wouldn't surprise me if the 3080Ti AIB models are somewhere round that scalper's price for a 3080 - got a feeling Nvidia are going to price the 3080Ti around £900 to a grand as it'll likely beat a 6900XT while being competitive on price and the AIBs tend to be a little more than the FE cards.

I feel you've made the right decision there.
I reckon you're right too.

doof

Now I have no idea how supply chains work, but I assume eventually a large order of 30 series hardware will come in and as a result, a large portion of orders at the front of the queue will start getting ticked off.