RTX 3080

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Disaster!!!!

Move mix to get ready to open and hear what sounds like marbles!!!

Open box, with better half recording as proof first opening, and gutted to see broken glass all over the top of case.

Not fully taken out yet to see which one has broken but to have it in the top of the build makes me wonder on the treatment of the box during transit

Gutted and raging
That doesn't sound good, hopefully it will just be damage to the case glass and PCS could get you a replacement sent out if possible.
Hopefully no other damage.
Keep us all updated

whoami

I hit 65 days today. Been in touch with PCS by email since last week when we confirmed that at least one later build was done before mine. Apparently now awaiting GPU stock again though, so we’ll see what happens.

Hoping Scarpa is right and the PC is just superficial damage rather than anything too serious!

Dannyjw

im on 52 days. This is what im waiting on.

Case
LIAN LI LANCOOL II GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z490-P (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans

Guilders

Silver Level Poster
Front panel gone!!
That doesn't sound good, hopefully it will just be damage to the case glass and PCS could get you a replacement sent out if possible.
Hopefully no other damage.
Keep us all updated
Went over it with a fine tooth comb, nothing visible inside the case, less microscopic glass shards. Hopeful @SpyderTracks will give some advice about starting it once its acclimatised to the house, with all the small piles of glass within the case (cleaned now)

Now I’ve had a look inside I’m away to call them, its a Corsair 680x and I’m sure I seen somewhere the front glass panel could be removed to improve airflow so like you say hopefully a quick replacement

Will keep forum updated

Just come off the phone with PCS... it seems now my motherboard (ROG Strix X570-I Gaming - it's mini-ITX) is out of stock... got the email to say it was out of stock on the 18th of December, only just called today 'cause of Christmas... but it's weird as that mobo had been part of my order since swapping to the new Ryzen CPUs on the 5th of November.

My 3080 is also still unallocated and I'm on 61 days now (ordered 5th October). They told me that they're not actually allocating stock of any component in accordance to when orders come in - components are instead being allocated to builds where everything else is otherwise ready. So now I'm picturing a nightmare scenario whereby:
  1. 3080's come in, mobo out of stock - 3080's go to fulfil other orders where all other components are available, none allocated to me
  2. mobo's come in, 3080's out of stock - mobos go to fulfil other orders where all other components are available, none allocated to me
  3. Point 1 happens again
  4. Point 2 happens again
  5. Cycle continues
Surely it would be better for each component to be allocated to orders according to age, rather than whatever orders are otherwise completeable now? Otherwise people are going to be in this never-ending cycle of different components coming and going.

The option for me to change tack completely and order a full tower-size spec is out the window too... that would be a complete cancel and restart situation. Getting very frustrated now!

kozuki

Enthusiast
Just come off the phone with PCS... it seems now my motherboard (ROG Strix X570-I Gaming - it's mini-ITX) is out of stock... got the email to say it was out of stock on the 18th of December, only just called today 'cause of Christmas... but it's weird as that mobo had been part of my order since swapping to the new Ryzen CPUs on the 5th of November.

My 3080 is also still unallocated and I'm on 61 days now (ordered 5th October). They told me that they're not actually allocating stock of any component in accordance to when orders come in - components are instead being allocated to builds where everything else is otherwise ready. So now I'm picturing a nightmare scenario whereby:
  1. 3080's come in, mobo out of stock - 3080's go to fulfil other orders where all other components are available, none allocated to me
  2. mobo's come in, 3080's out of stock - mobos go to fulfil other orders where all other components are available, none allocated to me
  3. Point 1 happens again
  4. Point 2 happens again
  5. Cycle continues
Surely it would be better for each component to be allocated to orders according to age, rather than whatever orders are otherwise completeable now? Otherwise people are going to be in this never-ending cycle of different components coming and going.

The option for me to change tack completely and order a full tower-size spec is out the window too... that would be a complete cancel and restart situation. Getting very frustrated now!
oh man.. This is what I was talking about earlier too, lots of us have 3080 and a 5000 series ryzen cpu, both are on pre-order and if they get the stock on different days, we're never getting our builds even after waiting since early October, and I thought Ghosthud was watching over the oldest 3080 orders to make sure they get priority..

Dannyjw

3. Point 1 happens again
  4. Point 2 happens again
  5. Cycle continues

Shouldnt we at least get e-mailed if different parts are out of stock?

Guilders

Silver Level Poster
Eeesh... At least it's safety glass, much less chance of any tiny little shards entering the system.
You think it should be ok to switch on after I've let it acclimatise to the house??

Should let people see all images, including glass inside case. Hence why I ask about turning on when acclimatised

Last edited:

TwiggyHaz

Bit the bullet after reading about the massive delays for strix cards and swapped from 3080 strix to a non strix 3090. Fingers crossed it comes sooner now.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You think it should be ok to switch on after I've let it acclimatise to the house??
Tough call... I'd definitely wait until you've spoken to PCS first.

Would I switch it on, personally? Yes. But before doing so I'd use my air blower on the inside of the case (but outside of the house), then I'd pretty much take the system apart and examine individual components to make sure there was no stray bit of glass that had managed to find it's way in. I'm fairly comfortable doing that kind of thing so that's not an approach for everyone.

Thankfully you picked the best possible case to be able to have a good look around in, the 680X is an absolute peach in that respect.

EDIT - I hadn't actually seen ALL the pics at the time of writing that message, just the initial one that had been posted... there's many more minuscule fragments in there than I'd anticipated, I retract my statement. I'd DEFINITELY take the whole system apart and I'd be doing that before I used the air blower. It's a big job...

Last edited:

scarpa1

Enthusiast

Should let people see all images, including glass inside case. Hence why I ask about turning on when acclimatised
Jeez, looks like someone has been chucking it around the van.
Was there any damage to the box where the broken glass panel was?

With the broken glass on top of case to olooks like it may have been stacked on top of something and then fell off.

Think PCS need to get some fragile and glass stickers or something to put on the boxes.

Guilders

Silver Level Poster
I would assume you've checked carefully for any other damage? That being the case I would switch it on.
I have checked, with very bright LED head torch, still finding small glass pieces, like top right pic on post earlier.

I'm new to PC so wouldn't know if anything subtle is wrong, but would know if its more obvious, the worry is would any of those extremely small pieces get into something, GPU for example, as there like hens teeth and how long for a replacement, or anywhere else.

Seen the social media post of DPD employees and their handling of parcels, and hoped it would arrive in one piece, even the wife was like seriously after all this time and then that :D

Bloody been cursed from the start :oops:

Guilders

Silver Level Poster
Jeez, looks like someone has been chucking it around the van.
Was there any damage to the box where the broken glass panel was?

With the glass on top of case to looks like it may have been stacked on top of something and then fell off.

Think PCS need to get some fragile and glass stickers or something to put on the boxes.
There is a small crease, barely noticeable!!!

It either fell or was rolled around, I had to drag it in, weight was quite surprising

extreme cold in warehouse for long period, maybe caused toughened glass to be more fragile??

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I have checked, with very bright LED head torch, still finding small glass pieces, like top right pic on post earlier.

I'm new to PC so wouldn't know if anything subtle is wrong, but would know if its more obvious, the worry is would any of those extremely small pieces get into something, GPU for example, as there like hens teeth and how long for a replacement, or anywhere else.

Seen the social media post of DPD employees and their handling of parcels, and hoped it would arrive in one piece, even the wife was like seriously after all this time and then that :D

Bloody been cursed from the start :oops:
I would wait before turning it on and see what PCS suggest. Little bits of glass get everywhere.
Only takes a small bit stuck in the gpu somewhere and it could cause problems.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Disaster!!!!

Move mix to get ready to open and hear what sounds like marbles!!!

Open box, with better half recording as proof first opening, and gutted to see broken glass all over the top of case.

Not fully taken out yet to see which one has broken but to have it in the top of the build makes me wonder on the treatment of the box during transit

Gutted and raging
Ah, that’s not good!