RTX 3080

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
i just think for the cost of getting it now you could get a brand new 4k monitor for £621 or upgrade all the ssds get more m2 etc etc you could get a whole new set of top end keyboard mouse desk everything for £621 its alot of money for 5-9% but i completely understand hey itll be a beast with a 3090 but in my opinion its a massive waste of money but completely understand you have been waiting ages
I'd like to point out a 4k monitor for gaming that isn't 144hz on a top-of-the-line GPU is a bit of a waste, and you won't find a 4k 144hz* monitor for £621 let alone one in stock.

*I put an asterisk there because there are monitors that can do 4k, and 144hz but they do them separately E.G. drop down to 1440p or less for 144hz. These will also be cheaper than the mentioned price, however may also have High Response time also.

Not that it counters your argument, if anything it reinforces it. A worth-while monitor is NOT CHEAP, and it is probably best to squeeze every cent you have into making what you're paying for worth while. After all, why have such a strong graphics card and a monitor that makes it look like you're using a 1080ti anyway?

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
Whats the difference in for example standard 3090 and the one they have in stock "zotac 3090" do you need certain other parts to match ? Sorry I'm new to all this pc stuff first time buying one which is why I'm now getting so impatient 😅
You're going to be looking at main differences being Aesthetics, Cooling, build quality, and maximum clock speeds (Largely determined by maximum power capabilities)

However Nvidia has changed their chip practices and have actually kept the best clocked Cores mostly for themselves, leading to AIB partners like Zotac, Asus etc, not actually able to achieve much better than Founders Edition cards. This has this awkward effect of Most cards out-the-box being damn near identical.

Most Premium AIB's are for enthusiasts who enjoy pushing for higher clock speeds or creating specific aesthetically pleasing builds. So depending on the look you're going for may influence which cards you actually purchase.

BizzHood

Bronze Level Poster
You're going to be looking at main differences being Aesthetics, Cooling, build quality, and maximum clock speeds (Largely determined by maximum power capabilities)

However Nvidia has changed their chip practices and have actually kept the best clocked Cores mostly for themselves, leading to AIB partners like Zotac, Asus etc, not actually able to achieve much better than Founders Edition cards. This has this awkward effect of Most cards out-the-box being damn near identical.

Most Premium AIB's are for enthusiasts who enjoy pushing for higher clock speeds or creating specific aesthetically pleasing builds. So depending on the look you're going for may influence which cards you actually purchase.
Thanks, given me a better understanding now😁

BizzHood

Bronze Level Poster
a 3090 is massively overkill for that monitor so to make the most of it you will have to eventually buy a pritty expensive monitor :(
Yeah I litterally cant find a decent rated/reviewed monitor that's 4k with decent refresh rate so just went with 1440p ones that friends etc recommended. Trouble is they don't have a 3080 so guess they don't realise the potential and me being new to it all don't have a clue to be honest... thats being said any recommendations are welcome lol id rather spend the money there if a better monitor is available

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Yeah I litterally cant find a decent rated/reviewed monitor that's 4k with decent refresh rate so just went with 1440p ones that friends etc recommended. Trouble is they don't have a 3080 so guess they don't realise the potential and me being new to it all don't have a clue to be honest... thats being said any recommendations are welcome lol id rather spend the money there if a better monitor is available
The XG27UQ is a 144Hz 4k monitor available for under a grand (although the places where you can get them for £800 are often sold out - had to do a lot of checking to get my hands on one from Currys, although Scan list them at that price too) and is pretty good - speaking from my own personal experience.

BizzHood

Bronze Level Poster
The XG27UQ is a 144Hz 4k monitor available for under a grand (although the places where you can get them for £800 are often sold out - had to do a lot of checking to get my hands on one from Currys, although Scan list them at that price too) and is pretty good - speaking from my own personal experience.
Thanks ill keep an eye out for stock, eventually I'm going to want 2 monitors so I'll just keep the 1440p one as the 2nd monitor

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
Lol you speak sense and realistically its what I should do but I don't know if its going to be a few more weeks is whats swaying me to waste money 🤣
If you take the extra £621 you’ve said it would cost to upgrade to a 3090 and divide it by the time you’d get it early by I still don’t see it as worth it, for example you get it early by 30 days that works out at £20.70 a day just to get it earlier

BizzHood

Bronze Level Poster
If you take the extra £621 you’ve said it would cost to upgrade to a 3090 and divide it by the time you’d get it early by I still don’t see it as worth it, for example you get it early by 30 days that works out at £20.70 a day just to get it earlier
Okay now you put it that way 😳 think i just need to be patient and see it out

I'd like to point out a 4k monitor for gaming that isn't 144hz on a top-of-the-line GPU is a bit of a waste, and you won't find a 4k 144hz* monitor for £621 let alone one in stock.

*I put an asterisk there because there are monitors that can do 4k, and 144hz but they do them separately E.G. drop down to 1440p or less for 144hz. These will also be cheaper than the mentioned price, however may also have High Response time also.

Not that it counters your argument, if anything it reinforces it. A worth-while monitor is NOT CHEAP, and it is probably best to squeeze every cent you have into making what you're paying for worth while. After all, why have such a strong graphics card and a monitor that makes it look like you're using a 1080ti anyway?
my god after reading this went on the hunt for a 4k monitor you were not joking 144hz is not cheap

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
4 STOPS AWAY!!! Wooooo
@amiwood18 will soon be standing in the middle of her road...

giphy.gif