RTX 3080

DanFrewer

Weird feeling the COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P RGB GAMING CASE is out of stock I cant find it when trying to build a pc now?

The GPU shortage is 'acceptable' to a degree as obviously this is a worldwide problem, and as frustrating as it is, we can't do much about it and so must wait. The problem I have is with PCS and their lack of communication to customers. I don't understand why we as paying customers must resort to a forum to get answers. I work in the manufacturing industry, and we would lose customers quickly if we didn't keep them up to date on shortages and lead times for their products (I know PCS can't estimate the GPU lead times, but they could give us a queue number which would give us an indication of where we are with our builds). I understand the problem, I'm not moaning about the problem, I just wish I knew where I was in the queue (this could quite easily be automated...I work in Lean manufacturing...it's doable) and some sort of communication to keep me 'in the loop'. And no, I'm not siting in a queue on the phone for 3 hours - a simple automated email will suffice. It's a shame, because my previous PC was purchased via PCS about 6 years ago and the customer service was fantastic.

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
The GPU shortage is 'acceptable' to a degree as obviously this is a worldwide problem, and as frustrating as it is, we can't do much about it and so must wait. The problem I have is with PCS and their lack of communication to customers. I don't understand why we as paying customers must resort to a forum to get answers. I work in the manufacturing industry, and we would lose customers quickly if we didn't keep them up to date on shortages and lead times for their products (I know PCS can't estimate the GPU lead times, but they could give us a queue number which would give us an indication of where we are with our builds). I understand the problem, I'm not moaning about the problem, I just wish I knew where I was in the queue (this could quite easily be automated...I work in Lean manufacturing...it's doable) and some sort of communication to keep me 'in the loop'. And no, I'm not siting in a queue on the phone for 3 hours - a simple automated email will suffice. It's a shame, because my previous PC was purchased via PCS about 6 years ago and the customer service was fantastic.
This has been answered previously (multiple times) throughout this thread, essentially the short answer is no. They cannot give you a queue position as everyone’s builds are different. They can see where you are in the queue for a certain component, but I believe that these are only rough numbers, because if we both had the same case selected and there was only 1 left but your order had 2 other items that were out of stock, but my order only needed the case, they would assign the case to my order as that way they could have 1 completed order and 1 pending rather than having 2 pending.

Hoping I’ve understood that right from previous posts @SpyderTracks or @AgentCooper please correct me if I’m wrong!

This has been answered previously (multiple times) throughout this thread, essentially the short answer is no. They cannot give you a queue position as everyone’s builds are different. They can see where you are in the queue for a certain component, but I believe that these are only rough numbers, because if we both had the same case selected and there was only 1 left but your order had 2 other items that were out of stock, but my order only needed the case, they would assign the case to my order as that way they could have 1 completed order and 1 pending rather than having 2 pending.

Hoping I’ve understood that right from previous posts @SpyderTracks or @AgentCooper please correct me if I’m wrong!
But surely they must therefore have a selection of PCs in WIP status waiting for just the GPU, another selection waiting for cpu and GPU etc...these could be categorised and a queue generated from that based on order dates? The main thing for me is the lack of communication as a whole. We shouldn’t even be having this conversation. I’m only in day 18 (yup..ouch) and I feel frustrated already (again, not at the GPU situation - just want to make that clear). I can only imagine how those waiting for 60+ days must feel with no correspondence from PCS. I realise this is probably not the place to vent so I’ll leave it there.

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
But surely they must therefore have a selection of PCs in WIP status waiting for just the GPU, another selection waiting for cpu and GPU etc...these could be categorised and a queue generated from that based on order dates? The main thing for me is the lack of communication as a whole. We shouldn’t even be having this conversation. I’m only in day 18 (yup..ouch) and I feel frustrated already (again, not at the GPU situation - just want to make that clear). I can only imagine how those waiting for 60+ days must feel with no correspondence from PCS. I realise this is probably not the place to vent so I’ll leave it there.
I’m one of those at 60 days just hit it today! I’m of the opinion no news is good news, I feel like having an email each week showing I was still going to be waiting ages because I was number X in a queue would frustrate me more, especially if they hadn’t received anymore stock so had an email multiple weeks in a row where I hadn’t moved or only moved a couple of places because of swaps and cancels. But I appreciate everyone is different, I guess the saying ”You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all the people all of the time” applies to this.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

No, you’re right. It’s a JIT setup and with everything that’s going on, it’s near impossible to create that assignation. So many components are in demand and of short supply that the automated emails are redundant. They’ve placed orders for hundreds of 3080 cards but it seems they’ve no way of knowing how many they’ve been allocated until the stock arrives, such is the shortage. If PCS aren’t able to be sure of what’s coming in (and it’s not just the GPUs, we’ve got to factor in the new AMD processors too), they’re not in a position to be giving customers an assurance of lead times.

I can only concur that it’s incredibly frustrating for the customer, especially those who haven’t joined the forum and been able to keep track of what’s going on. Those souls are in the dark more than most of us on here. Which is why the recent suggestion by @Gavras might be really helpful. A weekly update on the forum by a PCS staff member (with maybe an link which is emailed and cc’d into recent buyers) might just provide a bit of clarity. It’s going to be nigh on impossible to say exactly when your system will be built due to availability of components but you have not been forgotten about.

There’s no evil genius sat at the top of the food chain at PCS laughing maniacally and twirling his villainous moustache. What there is at PCS is a group of people who feel that they’re just as in the dark as you regarding supply issues, are working overtime to try and meet demand, and have been doing so throughout three lockdowns.

Keep the faith, it’s going to be worth the wait 🙂👍

Jamessmith182

Hey guys, i just want to ask about the 3080 i ordered 3080 but looking at the forums its a incredible long wait, im a video editor and a gamer, so i need the PC in a short amount of time as mine is very outdated and on its last legs (from PCS originally), i really want the 3080 but seeing the times of getting it i cant risk it, looking at the forums people have been switching to the 3090 to get it faster but i dont have that type of money sadly, is it worth me switching to either the 3060ti or the 3070 to get it faster has anyone here done that or has anyone got any knowledge on that?
Sorry for the long message im just worried i wont be able to carry on my business for these few months ahead, thank you.
James.
Side note: looking at the 3070 forum no one is really active so really i cant gain knowledge, so just asking if anyone switched from the 3080 to the 3070 and what their times are like.

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, i just want to ask about the 3080 i ordered 3080 but looking at the forums its a incredible long wait, im a video editor and a gamer, so i need the PC in a short amount of time as mine is very outdated and on its last legs (from PCS originally), i really want the 3080 but seeing the times of getting it i cant risk it, looking at the forums people have been switching to the 3090 to get it faster but i dont have that type of money sadly, is it worth me switching to either the 3060ti or the 3070 to get it faster has anyone here done that or has anyone got any knowledge on that?
Sorry for the long message im just worried i wont be able to carry on my business for these few months ahead, thank you.
James.
Side note: looking at the 3070 forum no one is really active so really i cant gain knowledge, so just asking if anyone switched from the 3080 to the 3070 and what their times are like.
Those are also out of stock.

Jamessmith182

Those are also out of stock.
im currently on 9 working days (pre-production) ill wait till the 17-18th of jan which is the 24th day of when i ordered (which is the time they said they would send it to me) ill give them a call to ask what is happening, thank you for telling me appreciate it.

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
James.
Your best bet would be to contact PCS and see what they advise regarding the other graphic cards. Other alternative it to try and source a graphics card from elsewhere have seen the 3070 been restocked with component sellers more than the 3080, could always sign up to alerts from stockinformer, but have to be quick as soon as you receive notification.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Personally I share your frustration at the level of communication from PCS. It's been an unfortunate fact that communication has never been one of PCS's strengths, quite possibly because in the past they were able to turn orders around in a matter of days. The global shortage not just of graphics cards, but of the components that go to make up these cards and even of the raw materials used to make those components, has resulted in the JIT system on which PCS's entire process is built collapsing.

Yes, I agree that PCS could have done a better job of communicating these issues to customers, though it is difficult to imagine what they could tell you when they don't know themselves when (or how much) stock is arriving. I get the sense from what @Ghosthud (a PCS employee) has been saying in these posts that they don't have a separate queue for each card (or possibly each component) and that they strive to get builds out of the door in the order in which the orders were placed. @Ghosthud has said for example...
you could have a customer who has been waiting 40 working days with a standard 3080, it hasn’t shown up, they are informed that the STRIX has arrived, you could be someone who has ordered the STRIX and waited 25 working days and theoretically could have a viable build ready to go, but we would always give priority to the oldest order if they wish to make a change.

@Ghosthud also posted this on 5th Jan 2021 on the subject of 'queue position'...
But I must stress that we have upwards of 10+ individual batch orders from many of our suppliers, each of which have request dates starting in November and early December, these have still not come to fruition and strictly NO ETA is being given from the manufactures.

Giving "queue" positions leads to inaccuracies and false hope under the assumption that we are not guaranteed any stock at this moment in time, this is not a failure of communication, but a failure of not being able to provide detailed communication.

We will not entertain guesswork under the current situation.

I do understand your frustration, and your desire to vent. But neither of us (in fact nobody at all on here bar the PCS staff) know what's actually going on inside PCS regarding stock deliveries - though it is clear that they're coming in dribs and drabs. Telling you for example, that you're number 42 in the queue and that they shipped 30 builds today doesn't mean yours will be built soon - it might be another 6 weeks before they get another delivery of cards that you're waiting on, and they may be snapped up by people ahead of you switching....

If you hear nothing from PCS then it's because nothing has changed and your order is unlikely to be built any time soon I'm afraid.

Boomer

Bronze Level Poster
Back in November (about the 25th), some of us in the queue at that time got an Email saying that the 850W power supply was out of stock and we needed to change. I remember there was a scramble to get the 1000W. The 850W appears to be back in stock (website has it listed in the picker)

Personally, I am not going to bother swapping back just yet (only on day 44 ... several weeks to wait).
However, those of you that are getting closer, might want to get some money back (I would double check with PCS though, as you don't want to end up in yet another queue for parts).

DanFrewer

Back in November (about the 25th), some of us in the queue at that time got an Email saying that the 850W power supply was out of stock and we needed to change. I remember there was a scramble to get the 1000W. The 850W appears to be back in stock (website has it listed in the picker)

Personally, I am not going to bother swapping back just yet (only on day 44 ... several weeks to wait).
However, those of you that are getting closer, might want to get some money back (I would double check with PCS though, as you don't want to end up in yet another queue for parts).
Please tell me this is a joke 🥺😂

dieselnut

Why would you post this? Now I don't feel the need to complain endlessly that PCS are making a fort out of all the 3080s they are hiding from us. ;)
<joke alert> There is a large part of me finding humour in the customer service reps hiding behind a big wall made of the 3080 retail boxes with nerf guns waiting for us to call!<joke>

In reality they're probably sobbing quietly into a can of redbull watching the email queue piling up faster than anyone can humanly answer them.

Keep up the good work customer service chaps (and forum chaps) and we shall have our new machines soon. And for those complaining about their old machines, feel for me with my i7 2600 with a GTX 1060 trying to run 3d CAD simulations working at home.

Jonathan Formosa

<joke alert> There is a large part of me finding humour in the customer service reps hiding behind a big wall made of the 3080 retail boxes with nerf guns waiting for us to call!<joke>

In reality they're probably sobbing quietly into a can of redbull watching the email queue piling up faster than anyone can humanly answer them.

Keep up the good work customer service chaps (and forum chaps) and we shall have our new machines soon. And for those complaining about their old machines, feel for me with my i7 2600 with a GTX 1060 trying to run 3d CAD simulations working at home.
Lol I'm a VFX artist who is running a gts450 and a 2 core processor. I am still in High school and this is the first big buy with a 2k pc.

I need the power for my VFX work to build my portfolio for when I finish school in April. I don't play games though so my friends said I don't deserve a rtx3080 🤣

I got the 3080 to speed up my 3d rendering I tell them, but they are trying to convince me to give them it 🤣

Not happening.