RTX 3080

SilkShadow23

Bronze Level Poster
No, you just optimise the games.

3080 at 1440p doesn’t make sense period.

3070 has you covered at 1440p.

cyberpunk just isn’t ready for market yet, I personally wouldn’t bother playing it until they fix it. There’s zero sense in speccing a card to play a broken game.

warzone runs absolutely fine on a 3070. 3080 is not going to improve it on a 1440p monitor.
But if you have 165 fps monitor wouldn't a stronger gpu mean you are less likely to suffer fps drops? Especially with future games.

Stacey

I’ll boot it up again later this morning to confirm but it never dropped below 60 in the first few hours and stays around 70/80 most of the time.

Don’t get me wrong I was pleasantly surprised. Only tried the max settings just to see the pretty areas before I made any tweaks to it but felt like I didn’t need to :)

Are those benchmarks before or after the most recent update? The game has run much better since then.
That's definitely promising to hear, and I appreciate that thankyou :) Is that with graphics & ray-tracing on ultra and DLSS on quality ?

Those benchmarks are from a month ago, so I'm not sure if that's before or after the update dropped?

These benchmarks have been the main reason I opted for a 3080 instead of a 3070 (as much as I would have liked going for a 3070) with a poorly optimised game like this it seems the 3070 usually pushes max high 50s, whereas the 3080 seems to hit 70s with those settings, and obviously the preference is getting 60fps or above.

But if you're getting above 60fps with your 3070 using these settings then that's pretty big for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210126-083344_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210126-083344_YouTube.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 161

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But if you have 165 fps monitor wouldn't a stronger gpu mean you are less likely to suffer fps drops? Especially with future games.
No, not at all. If we're talking 120fps being the optimal baseline, the 3070 will cover that absolutely fine. The 3080 is going to give zero benefit.

99% of humans can't appreciate anything over 120fps, so it's not going to look any better unless you're a competitive gamer, and then you wouldn't be playing on max settings anyway.

Jaycensolo

Bronze Level Poster
There are currently loads of 4k 144hz monitors on the market.
Agreed on the Eve spectrum, they haven’t been very good at delivering promised specs and have been massively delayed.

did you see the recent LinusTT video on the spectrum?
Yes I watched it and it made me cringe. You could see he wanted to give it praise and judge it fairly but they had so many key features either missing or just plain not working. I looked into back when I was looking for a monitor but after feeling kind of betrayed by the last crowd funded project I backed (Star Citizen) it is has kind of made me really cautious.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes I watched it and it made me cringe. You could see he wanted to give it praise and judge it fairly but they had so many key features either missing or just plain not working. I looked into back when I was looking for a monitor but after feeling kind of betrayed by the last crowd funded project I backed (Star Citizen) it is has kind of made me really cautious.
Yeah, was a bit shocking.

What they promised at the price point was always a bit too good to be true though.

That's definitely promising to hear, and I appreciate that thankyou :) Is that with graphics & ray-tracing on ultra and DLSS on quality ?

Those benchmarks are from a month ago, so I'm not sure if that's before or after the update dropped?

These benchmarks have been the main reason I opted for a 3080 instead of a 3070 (as much as I would have liked going for a 3070) with a poorly optimised game like this it seems the 3070 usually pushes max high 50s, whereas the 3080 seems to hit 70s with those settings, and obviously the preference is getting 60fps or above.

But if you're getting above 60fps with your 3070 using these settings then that's pretty big for me.
The update only recently dropped, I waited for it to release before playing after playing the travesty that was the Ps4 version (even on my Ps5 was crap). It's what pushed me back into PC gaming.

Just loaded up as have a couple of minutes spare and was hitting between 86 and 92 FPS in one of the training areas. (admittedly not one of the most demanding areas). I'll head to night city later on today once i've finished a few jobs.

I've since learnt its not the game to use for benchmarking as CDPR really dropped the ball on it :ROFLMAO:. I'm sure it will continue to get better and better optimised in time mind.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The update only recently dropped, I waited for it to release before playing after playing the travesty that was the Ps4 version (even on my Ps5 was crap). It's what pushed me back into PC gaming.

Just loaded up as have a couple of minutes spare and was hitting between 86 and 92 FPS in one of the training areas. (admittedly not one of the most demanding areas). I'll head to night city later on today once i've finished a few jobs.

I've since learnt its not the game to use for benchmarking as CDPR really dropped the ball on it :ROFLMAO:. I'm sure it will continue to get better and better optimised in time mind.
When you've got your own government investigating you and threatening to fine multiple millions of pounds if you don't fix it within a time frame, and all your own investors suing you, you kinda gotta realise that the game is broken :ROFLMAO:

SilkShadow23

Bronze Level Poster
No, not at all. If we're talking 120fps being the optimal baseline, the 3070 will cover that absolutely fine. The 3080 is going to give zero benefit.

99% of humans can't appreciate anything over 120fps, so it's not going to look any better unless you're a competitive gamer, and then you wouldn't be playing on max settings anyway.
What about modded Skyrim? Especially with enb? Are you familiar with the modlist installer called wabbajack? There is a heavy 170gb modlist called Living Skyrim, it made my 4th gen i7 gtx 1080 run at barely the mid late 20s at 1440.

I had been playing Valorant capped to 120, yet uncapped it jumped between 130 to 160.

Games like Battlefield were harder to run, I would want what ever card could keep me over 144 fps with minimal dips....

Mind you I have not ordered a 30 series nor do I intend to, going to keep my 1080 which had been serving well once my 5900 system arrives...

Although I plan on keeping my 165 monitor for as long as it lasts, it is not out of the realms of possibility I get a 4k tv... On which I will play modded Skyrim or perhaps Tekken. I'd be interested in getting the best card I could get to future proof. Yet there is no point paying more for something if a cheaper item meets my needs.

I want a smooth experience more than anything. Unless its modded Skyrim, than I just want to push everything for the sake of pushing it lol.

Edit:soz for the ramble, got no pc at the moment and I got nothing better to do while I wait for the new one

Stacey

The update only recently dropped, I waited for it to release before playing after playing the shitshow that was the Ps4 version (even on my Ps5 was crap). It's what pushed me back into PC gaming.

That's so true 😅 but I have to take it into account sadly though as it's one of the games I'm looking to play, and if I cater for that, then any other game I'm looking to play shouldn't be an issue, because I'm basing my build on the most demanding and badly optimised lol, but yeah, they really did drop the ball.

Sorry to keep asking (I sound like some graphic nut) but are you getting that FPS with the graphics setting and ray-tracing on ultra ? And the DLSS on quality ? Or are certain things bumped down a little ? It's just so I can get a good idea of the comparison. :)

Yeah I heard that it was pretty much unplayable on the PS, my PC died before I got a chance to play it on there, but after hearing everyone's nightmare experiences, I thought I'd wait for my new build to drop rather than buy it on the PS4 lol.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What about modded Skyrim? Especially with enb? Are you familiar with the modlist installer called wabbajack? There is a heavy 170gb modlist called Living Skyrim, it made my 4th gen i7 gtx 1080 run at barely the mid late 20s at 1440.

I had been playing Valorant capped to 120, yet uncapped it jumped between 130 to 160.

Games like Battlefield were harder to run, I would want what ever card could keep me over 144 fps with minimal dips....

Mind you I have not ordered a 30 series nor do I intend to, going to keep my 1080 which had been serving well once my 5900 system arrives...

Although I plan on keeping my 165 monitor for as long as it lasts, it is not out of the realms of possibility I get a 4k tv... On which I will play modded Skyrim or perhaps Tekken. I'd be interested in getting the best card I could get to future proof. Yet there is no point paying more for something if a cheaper item meets my needs.

I want a smooth experience more than anything. Unless its modded Skyrim, than I just want to push everything for the sake of pushing it lol.

Edit:soz for the ramble, got no pc at the moment and I got nothing better to do while I wait for the new one
Mods are not a normal scenario, they usually require much higher VRAM buffers which is often why performance suffers so much. That's down to the individual mod though.

But if we're talking mods, I would probably advise either a 3080ti as a minimum nvidia card for the higher VRAM, or one of the AMD cards as they have a much more respectable 16Gb VRAM on the 6800 and above.

SilkShadow23

Bronze Level Poster
Mods are not a normal scenario, they usually require much higher VRAM buffers which is often why performance suffers so much. That's down to the individual mod though.

But if we're talking mods, I would probably advise either a 3080ti as a minimum nvidia card for the higher VRAM, or one of the AMD cards as they have a much more respectable 16Gb VRAM on the 6800 and above.
That makes sense, I am hearing the 4080 series is going to be significantly better, overall it's an exciting time to be a pc gamer with all the new stuff, just a shame there are stock issues.

Do we know if competitive games are implementing dlss?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That makes sense, I am hearing the 4080 series is going to be significantly better, overall it's an exciting time to be a pc gamer with all the new stuff, just a shame there are stock issues.

Do we know if competitive games are implementing dlss?
Most competitive games would be played with settings on low and at 1080p resolution, so DLSS would be moot.

That's so true 😅 but I have to take it into account sadly though as it's one of the games I'm looking to play, and if I cater for that, then any other game I'm looking to play shouldn't be an issue, because I'm basing my build on the most demanding and badly optimised lol, but yeah, they really did drop the ball.

Sorry to keep asking (I sound like some graphic nut) but are you getting that FPS with the graphics setting and ray-tracing on ultra ? And the DLSS on quality ? Or are certain things bumped down a little ? It's just so I can get a good idea of the comparison. :)

Yeah I heard that it was pretty much unplayable on the PS, my PC died before I got a chance to play it on there, but after hearing everyone's nightmare experiences, I thought I'd wait for my new build to drop rather than buy it on the PS4 lol.
Just spent a bit of time going through some areas.

Checked again and DLSS was on auto, putting it to quality knocks about 10FPS off as a rough average.

I've also noticed there's a ray tracing setting higher than ultra which i've never noticed before. That thing really kills performance. Dropped down to around 50 FPS in a city mission i just did. So don't think i will be using that :ROFLMAO: (although its still a fairly decent performace given the workload)

Ray traying with ultra and quality DLSS was around 60-65FPS most of the time.

Visually i'm failing to see any real difference during gameplay between the settings and if it wasn't for the counter in the top corner I wouldn't have even noticed the framerate drop.

If your heart is set on playing cyberpunk cranked to the absolute max and hitting above 60fps nearly all of the time then i'm sure you can justify the extra couple of hundred it costs for the 3080 and no one will stop you doing that :) It's this generations crysis. (Although Flight Sim might give it a run for its money)

I just couldn't recommend it at 1440p as by the time more games in a few years are starting to feel the pinch it will be time to upgrade the GPU anyway to maintain max settings and you won't get the most out of the card during your time using it :)

Its going to be a while yet before ray tracing becomes the norm and even then i suspect most games will be developing using the style of ray tracing used in Spiderman for the PS5 which looks pretty but isn't such a resource hog.

Wuffles

Good Morning, not out to offend anyone or cause discord amongst you obviously tekkie sorts but ....
When I last checked I am an adult with quite a well paid and responsible job and if I want to spend my money on a 3080, surely that should be my decision and I am sure that I will enjoy the experience and not obsess about "C Clocks & M Clocks" and have I spent foolishly as I am sure there are forums on here where aficionado's of such things can impress each other with their knowledge.
I drive a rather expensive Boeing Aircraft for a living and I am quite content in the knowledge that the majority of my passengers (in the old days when we had them) were more than content that it "went up, stayed up & came down where it said on their ticket" not that I have available thrust ratings from 77,000 to 95,000 LBF on my expensive Trent 800's

I ordered a 3080, I want a 3080 and I am following this thread to hear other peoples experiences in waiting and the unparalleled joy of those who have received one (DHL not withstanding)

And there endeth the first rant

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good Morning, not out to offend anyone or cause discord amongst you obviously tekkie sorts but ....
When I last checked I am an adult with quite a well paid and responsible job and if I want to spend my money on a 3080, surely that should be my decision and I am sure that I will enjoy the experience and not obsess about "C Clocks & M Clocks" and have I spent foolishly as I am sure there are forums on here where aficionado's of such things can impress each other with their knowledge.
I drive a rather expensive Boeing Aircraft for a living and I am quite content in the knowledge that the majority of my passengers (in the old days when we had them) were more than content that it "went up, stayed up & came down where it said on their ticket" not that I have available thrust ratings from 77,000 to 95,000 LBF on my expensive Trent 800's

I ordered a 3080, I want a 3080 and I am following this thread to hear other peoples experiences in waiting and the unparalleled joy of those who have received one (DHL not withstanding)

Bully for you! (y)

As said previously, no one is ever saying not to buy it so long as you're educated that 1440p will bottleneck it.

What we're against is advising others that it's NECESSARY for gaming at 1440p which is conclusively incorrect and bad information.

No one is saying that :ROFLMAO:

Stacey

Checked again and DLSS was on auto, putting it to quality knocks about 10FPS off as a rough average.

I've also noticed there's a ray tracing setting higher than ultra which i've never noticed before. That thing really kills performance. Dropped down to around 50 FPS in a city mission i just did. So don't think i will be using that :ROFLMAO: (although its still a fairly decent performace given the workload)

Visually i'm failing to see any real difference during gameplay between the settings and if it wasn't for the counter in the top corner I wouldn't have even noticed the framerate drop.

If your heart is set on playing cyberpunk cranked to the absolute max and hitting above 60fps nearly all of the time then i'm sure you can justify the extra couple of hundred it costs for the 3080 and no one will stop you doing that :) It's this generations crysis. (Although Flight Sim might give it a run for its money)

I just couldn't recommend it at 1440p as by the time more games in a few years are starting to feel the pinch it will be time to upgrade the GPU anyway to maintain max settings and you won't get the most out of the card during your time using it :)

Its going to be a while yet before ray tracing becomes the norm and even then i suspect most games will be developing using the style of ray tracing used in Spiderman for the PS5 which looks pretty but isn't such a resource hog.

You're awesome.

Thanks for testing all that, it's a little more personal to hear someone's performance with their 3070 rather than a random YouTube benchmark, so I appreciate that.

The fact you're hitting 60fps and above with everything important turned to max has definitely given me something to think about, especially if there's more chance I'd get my build a little sooner if I switch. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That's not a rant. ;)

What you say is true, but PCS isn't quite like that. The overwhelming majority of its customers are gamers and techies who want the ability to spec their PC simply because they do understand the technicalities. The best analogy would be if the overwhelming majority of your passengers were aeronautical engineers, they would obsess about the characteristics of the aircraft - and possibly whether you were making best use of them. :)

It's very difficult to give advice on a forum because you don't know what the people reading your posts already know. And you can't see people's eyes glazing over on a forum either. ;)

TBH if you just want a PC you can switch on and forget then you're better off buying in a high street store.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You're awesome.

Thanks for testing all that, it's a little more personal to hear someone's performance with their 3070 rather than a random YouTube benchmark, so I appreciate that.

The fact you're hitting 60fps and above with everything important turned to max has definitely given me something to think about, especially if there's more chance I'd get my build a little sooner if I switch. :)
Just additionally, it’s expected that performance will improve with each patch.

It’s basically the same as when RDR2 was first launched, ram like a dog and took them a while to get it up to the performance it runs at now.

Its just cyberpunk is even more of a disaster than RDR2 was at launch.

You're awesome.

I've got no doubt there will be areas which will see substantial Framerate drops at somepoint during this game just given how the game has been made :ROFLMAO: But that's not on the hardware.

If it helps for your reference i'm using a 5600x, Gigabyte gaming OC 3070 and 32GB Ram :)

It's why I'm holding off from really getting sucked into it until later down the line and each update it should improve. There is plenty of other games I'm playing in the meantime.

I'm really looking forward to raytracing in the future as tech improves and handles it better. Now i'm treating it like an expensive tasting session :ROFLMAO: