Ryzen 2600X sudden temperature increase

danamb

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I bought my PC from PCS a bit more than a year ago and ~2 days ago my mobo started giving CPU temperature warning sound. I actually have never checked the temp of the CPU, but as the Bios setting was originally set to warn me when it reaches 80 Celsius I am a bit afraid that it might or will get damaged. It happened during playing Rocket League (1080p, but quite low settings due to gameplay reasons, though my PC can easily handle this game at max settings, too). In the background RL Tracker was also running, just as usual (for recording key gameplay elements, like goals). RL uses around 20-25% CPU and the tracker uses around 10% (based on what the task manager says) and even yesterday when I turned the case fans to max cooling mode (from the usual medium), the CPU temp still went up to 63-65 Celsius. I used the AMD Ryzen tool to check the temp and was monitoring the CPU for about 35-40 mins. I also temporarily set the CPU temperature warning to 60 Celsius to make sure it is not something else, and at the very moment the temp reached 60, I got the warning (so it is confirmed, that it was the CPU).

While I have not experienced any unusual gameplay issues in any of the games, one thing I noticed within the past ~6 months: when we watch a film, sometimes the video drops its framerate to about 1/5th of its original, but I thought it might be some codec issue. Now I am a bit worried that this is also because of the CPU. Interestingly, the audio is all good.

One of my friend has a normal Ryzen 2600, but he has a Noctua cooler and yesterday during palying together he was also monitoring his CPU temp, but it was around 36-39 Celsius. My cooler is a "CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler" and the case (PCS SR-621GG TEMPERED GLASS CASE) has 6 fans. I also cleaned the inside and the fans with an air duster 2 days ago to make sure that no dust is blocking any of the heating.

I wrote to the support as I have silver warranty, but as I trust the knowledge of the members here I would like to ask your opinion about this. Is it possible that I need to take off the cooler and apply a new layer of thermal paste? How can I check that the CPU was not damaged? Shall I just send it back to PCS?

Thanks in advance!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
First things first is to check actual temps, you can download hwmonitor to check temps when idle and under load.

Motherboards have been known to give false positives.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Might it be better to use Ryzen Master to check temps? Ryzen before 3000 series was weird with temp reporting I think? No harm in using both I guess.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Might it be better to use Ryzen Master to check temps? Ryzen before 3000 series was weird with temp reporting I think? No harm in using both I guess.
Ah, that’s a very good point, I’d forgotten about the temperature anomalies on older chips.

danamb

Bronze Level Poster
"I used the AMD Ryzen tool to check the temp " - I meant I used the Ryzen Master, but I did not remember the name.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
"I used the AMD Ryzen tool to check the temp " - I meant I used the Ryzen Master, but I did not remember the name.
Sorry, totally missed that.

In that case, yes, it’s likely a repaste would be a good thing. I’d suggest thermal grizzly kryonaut which you can pick up on amazon or other places.

80c on the CPU is well within tolerances so I very much doubt there’s been any damage to the cpu.

I would certainly log it with PCS so it’s on their systems that this issue has been highlighted, will cover you if you come across any issues after a repaste.