Ryzen 4000 mobile - Clevo have shown some chassis at CES

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

For all you converts appreciating AMD's epic comeback into the gaming space (and generally every single other space apart from phones), you may be as happy as I am to hear that they announced their Ryzen 4000 mobile chips at CES with some generalised performance numbers. And my god does it look promising! Now, as always, we have to take any numbers released directly from the manufacturer with a grain of salt until 3rd party reviewers get their hands on them and do some real world performance benchmarks..... BUT, that being said, since Lisa Su has been at the helm, AMD have been quite transparent in their announcements.

ryzen-4000-h-series-gaming-100826206-large.jpg

2020-01-07-image.jpg

AND..... crescendo please.... we have a US builder who has announced a Clevo chassis being released on the Zen 4000's. So they're out there and Clevo will be supplying them.

That US based one is set for availability in February, so I'm sure PCS won't be far behind.

Considering PCS's quick support for Epyc Servers and the massive enthusiasm generally for threadripper and Ryzen 2 systems, I have no doubt in my mind that they will be offering some Zen 4000 based chassis.

I'm so exited.

The expected benefits, other than performance are:

Much better thermal management.

Much better overall performance for gaming and content creation over intel

Less power usage so better battery life

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Great news, especially if the thermals are good. Will be interested to see battery life with Linux as that has always been a problem area across most/all Distros.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Great news, especially if the thermals are good. Will be interested to see battery life with Linux as that has always been a problem area across most/all Distros.
Should be very interesting indeed. I'm so hyped and apologies, I never usually get so hyped about things, but AMD just can do no wrong in my eyes at the moment.

Stephen M

Author Level
I agree. It seems quite odd that it is not long ago the proverbial barge-pole was the first thing that came to mind when AMD was mentioned. I just hope Nvidia are up to the challenge and go for it, that can only be good news for all computer users.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I agree. It seems quite odd that it is not long ago the proverbial barge-pole was the first thing that came to mind when AMD was mentioned. I just hope Nvidia are up to the challenge and go for it, that can only be good news for all computer users.
I suspect you’re referring to Intel with processors rather than nVidia with GPU’s.

But even at the GPU side, there’s rumours (and I stress just rumours atm) that there’s an AMD test card that just broke the 2080ti VR benchmark by 17%, which is no small feat!

But yes, as you say, it would be fantastic if Intel could remain competitive to spur some serious innovation, but unfortunately according to their roadmap and current releases, I just don’t see how that’s possible for the next 2 years at least.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good spot, yes I should have said intel. Had not seen their roadmap so things not looking great.
They’re stuck on 14nm in the mainstream segment for another year at least with 7nm being breached later on next year so releases not expected until end of 2021/early 2022.
I just can’t see how they can eek any more performance out of 14nm given TDP limitations already being hit. The 10000 series processors don’t really improve on the 9000 by any meaningful amount despite the extra cores.

Unless they pull something completely unexpected like 3D stacking, I just can’t see how they can possibly compete with upcoming Ryzen.

Stephen M

Author Level
That seems a crazy plan, it is not as though the Ryzen has only just appeared, I am sure the Intel bods will have noticed it by now. Of course, most brands have their die-hard fans who will refuse to move but if Intel are relying on them it is very poor business sense.

I suppose if the Clevo AMD chassis works and I cannot see any reason why not, it may force Intel's hand a bit but how quickly and how much they can catch up is another question.

Finishing on a positive note. My desktop i9900K has not set my house on fire yet.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That seems a crazy plan, it is not as though the Ryzen has only just appeared, I am sure the Intel bods will have noticed it by now. Of course, most brands have their die-hard fans who will refuse to move but if Intel are relying on them it is very poor business sense.
I have some sympathy for Intel, research & development is a costly and risky business. Many decades ago during some management training I was involved in a 'business game'. In the game your company made widgets and you could continue to make widgets using the existing process at no extra cost, the problem was that if another company was able to make widgets cheaper you'd lose market share and revenue. On the other hand you could invest in R&D which mean high costs and lower incomes with no guarantee that you'd be successful. If you were then your widgets were cheaper and you cornered the market, but if your R&D failed to yield a better manufacturing process your business failed with massive debts....

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It really does look to be the year for team red. As much as they broke through last year I have a feeling Intel saw it as a potential blip. As much as we look at benchmarks and cores and powaaaarrrrr, the big thing for AMD is simply value. Look at their performance leading chips vs price, it's staggering.

These swings aren't short term either. As much as we know Intel will come back with a bang it will be a while before they do. This scenario exactly replicates, for me at least, when the AM2/AM3 socket chips were out (Phenom II etc) and AMD really started to blow Intel out the water in price vs performance. It took a year or 2 for intel to start to claw back and that was only because of AMD resting on their laurels.

The thing is, when AMD did it the last time the market wasn't even remotely close to what it is like nowadays. With that in mind Intel will be hurting big time. I cannot sympathise with them though, their situation isn't through mistaken judgement with R&D or wrong investment.... it's through lack of investment, greed and pompous posturing.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
And the decision to keep developing and using their own processes / fabs instead of using 7nm made by external fabs like everyone else.

Which probably seemed like a good idea until they tried 10nm.