Ryzen 5 5600X temperatures

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Hi all. I am sheepishly posting this as I feel some of you will be facepalming when you see me bring this topic up again. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

I have read so much on the Internet (also termed 'The Rabbit Hole') about 5600X temperatures with the stock Wraith Stealth cooler installed and flicked through so many reviews of alternate cooling options that I just can't help myself posting this here for info. Please forgive me! šŸ™

Forums (Fora? Fori? What's the plural?) are filled (relative term of course) with people complaining about high temps in the 90+ region under load causing throttling.

Swapping out the stock cooler - for almost anything at all you care to choose - seems to have a big impact and resolve issues for pretty much everyone involved. An example table of results follows that matches the majority of results I have seen - this one is solely air cooler though (the test failed with the stock cooler so results are incomplete at 82 degrees) - and there are plenty of examples online of similar results for individuals who swapped out the stock option and saw similar temp reductions.

2021-02-18.png

Just FYI is all......

The 5600x has a max temp of 95oC So those numbers would still be fine.

You would expect anything above the stock cooler to perform better, so the data above is no surprise. However for most users the stock cooler will be fine.

Like all PC's you need to look at the users uses and the rest of the components when deciding what cooler to use. If you were planning on using heavy CPU programs you would look to have a better cooler to compensate it as it will spend more time under load, however if the user is only going to use the PC for browsing, youtube, office and average gaming, the stock is more than fine and you can look at other areas in the PC to improve.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thanks R100.

Again, that screenshot at 82 degrees isn't indicative of what many appear to be seeing. Running anything near it's max rated temp isn't a good idea so I find the 95 degree ceiling somewhat moot personally. Cooler is always better (unless we are talking about the bottom end of the operational temp curve).

Use cases are the key as you say I guess. Case airflow also of course. Yet, buying a fancy CPU but sticking with a cooler that will potentially have it throttle itself, even under non-OC conditions, just seems like a pointless waste to me - however unlikely you are to actually see it.

Anyway, my point really is that the Wraith Stealth doesn't seem to be all that great possibly.....

I won't debate it any further here so - lest I be ejected on my rump!

Anyway, my point really is that the Wraith Stealth doesn't seem to be all that great possibly.....
It's a point many agree with, however there is a difference between being fine and great :)

If you want great cooling, I don't think many will recommend the stock cooler.

Don't think I was attacking your post, however it would be wrong to dismiss a product that is capable of doing a job for a user based on their requirements.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It's a point many agree with, however there is a difference between being fine and great :)

If you want great cooling, I don't think many will recommend the stock cooler.

Don't think I was attacking your post, however it would be wrong to dismiss a product that is capable of doing a job for a user based on their requirements.
Oh good Lord you certainly werenā€™t doing anything of the sort R100. Certainly not taken that way at least!

I guess there is an element of the Google Doctor here - where I go into my surgery and tell the doc sheā€™s wrong because Google told me I have an infection/tumour/disease (delete as appropriate - or leave them all in maybe!).

No doubt there is an element of me trying to justify my own decisions also.

Point taken and well made on scenarios where itā€™s capable for specific end uses.

An FYI and FWIW sort of thread in intention at least.....

Oh good Lord you certainly werenā€™t doing anything of the sort R100. Certainly not taken that way at least!

I guess there is an element of the Google Doctor here - where I go into my surgery and tell the doc sheā€™s wrong because Google told me I have an infection/tumour/disease (delete as appropriate - or leave them all in maybe!).

No doubt there is an element of me trying to justify my own decisions also.

Point taken and well made on scenarios where itā€™s capable for specific end uses.

An FYI and FWIW sort of thread in intention at least.....
If itā€™s any consolation Iā€™m one of those people who want great thermals and have a H100i paired with my 5600x and struggle to produce temps above 60 degrees, (I have my rgb set to cpu Temp so it changes colour if it goes above that) but I know I didnā€™t need to spend all that extra money to have a solid PC but donā€™t regret spending the extra money as it was one of my main requirements and allowed extra budget to meet it :)

Ash_

Master Poster
If itā€™s any consolation Iā€™m one of those people who want great thermals and have a H100i paired with my 5600x and struggle to produce temps above 60 degrees, (I have my rgb set to cpu Temp so it changes colour if it goes above that) but I know I didnā€™t need to spend all that extra money to have a solid PC but donā€™t regret spending the extra money as it was one of my main requirements and allowed extra budget to meet it :)
I have a H150i elite capellix with a 5800x so i feel you šŸ¤£.

stock cooler will do the job and i wouldnā€™t sacrifice other things, when working to a budget. But if you have Ā£50 going spare, iā€™d 100% recommend a cooler master 240 for a 5600X.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I think that is kind of what I was trying to do myself - just probably tried to do it on a bit of a misguided budget target that had me feel that an AIO was totally unnecessary, but a stock cooler mightn't keep me totally happy - but I like my electronics running cool too.

My build should have silly amounts of air going through it - and a nice blowy tower cooler will hopefully help the components wonder why they were selected as parts in the first place if they weren't going to be asked to even come in from the cold.... :rolleyes:

MicSve

I think that is kind of what I was trying to do myself - just probably tried to do it on a bit of a misguided budget target that had me feel that an AIO was totally unnecessary, but a stock cooler mightn't keep me totally happy - but I like my electronics running cool too.

My build should have silly amounts of air going through it - and a nice blowy tower cooler will hopefully help the components wonder why they were selected as parts in the first place if they weren't going to be asked to even come in from the cold.... :rolleyes:
Bought a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler last year and it was the noise that got to me and made me buy the Noctua u14s. Got a bit carried away and added a second fan for push/pull effect. Almost completely silent now with idle temps at 25c and struggling to get past 60c (before I regularly hit mid 80s during gaming). I have not regretted that move :giggle:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Bought a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler last year and it was the noise that got to me and made me buy the Noctua u14s. Got a bit carried away and added a second fan for push/pull effect. Almost completely silent now with idle temps at 25c and struggling to get past 60c (before I regularly hit mid 80s during gaming). I have not regretted that move :giggle:
Yes the stock cooler noise is also mentioned a lot in various review.....

My plan is for an exhaust fan at the rear working in tandem with the cpu cooler - and with the three intakes too it should allow me run everything at fairly low speed and noise. Hopefully! The push-pull option is something I should consider also actually.....

D

Deleted member 17413

I think AMD have been pretty open about their thoughts on this, I'm sure i've seen a video where they talked about assuming high end users etc would buy a cooling solution, rather than using the stock one.
I think the last CPU that came with a cooler on its own that was reasonable for the chip was the 3600XT, anything above that I would strongly recommend a custom choice cooler.

Extra fans will help in terms of overall temp, but an actual cooler upgrade should have fan more impact.