Ryzen OC

Stephen M

Author Level
Am curious, have read here that it is not worth a Ryzen OC for gaming but is it worth it in other areas?

Have no intention of getting a new rig at moment, cannot justify it, even if prices and world situation was not crazy. Just wondered whether for video, photo, audio or work like that an OC may be of value.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above. There are definitely times where overclocking is worthwhile. It needs to be a use case where the multi-core use is greater than the single core use.

AMD are VERY close to coming up with a chip that can OC like the Intel counterparts but not quite there yet. With Intel you can pretty much OC every chip to the maximum boost speed of a single core. With AMD you are usually 0.1 or 0.2Ghz lower than the maximum box speed (actual speed is way higher now, so you end up around 0.5ghz slower).

The more cores, the less effective the OC is for top speed. Unfortunately, the more cores is where you would want use of it.

I don't think overclocking on an AMD is worth it for any scenario really. You may eek out a few % points in the task you are doing but they are designed to perform at their optimum so you won't net a lot given the extra heat output you're going to be dealing with.

I would OC an Intel every time..... they need all the help they can get right now 😂

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If overclocking Ryzen is something you’re interested in, there’s a really handy tool to aid with per core overclocking rather than a blanket all core which will only reach the max of the weakest core.

this tool should help get the max overclock.

Stephen M

Author Level
If overclocking Ryzen is something you’re interested in, there’s a really handy tool to aid with per core overclocking rather than a blanket all core which will only reach the max of the weakest core.

this tool should help get the max overclock.

It is very dangerous to give me ideas:)

Stephen M

Author Level
Am always glad of the PCS open case policy, almost everything I get I like to take apart to see what goes on inside.

Not quite as bad as a friend, when the shop called to say his new guitar had arrived he asked if they would remove the strings so he could have the pleasure of stringing it himself.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Am always glad of the PCS open case policy, almost everything I get I like to take apart to see what goes on inside.

Not quite as bad as a friend, when the shop called to say his new guitar had arrived he asked if they would remove the strings so he could have the pleasure of stringing it himself.
When i was a kid, I had a wind up record player, that i regularly took apart and reassembled, including removing the main spring from its case, it still works to this day as it's stored in the loft up at mums

Stephen M

Author Level
When i was a kid, I had a wind up record player, that i regularly took apart and reassembled, including removing the main spring from its case, it still works to this day as it's stored in the loft up at mums
I find mine very handy for my Lonnie Donnegan 78s. Only downside is no USB connection to rip them to the PC :)

DMC

kinda late for this thread but if anyone is still interested i got a OC ryzen build...5950x and it was a stable OC at 4.4ghz with a simple AIO Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans ...so when i render in vray for instance its around mid 70's C heat...and thats fast and cool for this 16 core beast :) i think the silicon q is mid..as ive seen higher OC under air.,...did see someone use LN and get 5.88ghz with a 5950x...lol

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
kinda late for this thread but if anyone is still interested i got a OC ryzen build...5950x and it was a stable OC at 4.4ghz with a simple AIO Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans ...so when i render in vray for instance its around mid 70's C heat...and thats fast and cool for this 16 core beast :) i think the silicon q is mid..as ive seen higher OC under air.,...did see someone use LN and get 5.88ghz with a 5950x...lol
I was always curious to know how these PCS OC's chips are presented. So did PCS simply manually OC it - or set it to Auto-OC before delivery? In other words is it boosting to a max of 4.4 GHz whether it's a single core or multi core workload?

4.4 GHz is a good return on the standard 3.9-4.0 GHz sustained multi core boost for sure and will be great for your rendering, particularly with 16 cores. It does seem though that applying PBO alongside a Boost Override could get the same multi-core performance with the original or better single core speeds too. Add in some voltage tweaks and it could be even better maybe....

DMC

its boosting to a max of 4.4 GHz whether it's a single core or multi core workload but of course not all cores are used in some workloads so only those will boost ..i haven't looked at the bios to tell you what way round they did it...but i'm thinking it's the heat that's stopping me from getting more..as I cheeped out on the cooler..and should of gone bigger then 240mm rad ..temp under full load is around 71c - 77c

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
its boosting to a max of 4.4 GHz whether it's a single core or multi core workload but of course not all cores are used in some workloads so only those will boost ..i haven't looked at the bios to tell you what way round they did it...but i'm thinking it's the heat that's stopping me from getting more..as I cheeped out on the cooler..and should of gone bigger then 240mm rad ..temp under full load is around 71c - 77c
Thanks @davidmcnamara699 - just for nothing other than my own interest - would you mind letting me know whether it is an Auto-OC or a Manual OC in BIOS if you ever find yourself in there in the future and can see it? Just curiosity on my part is all.

I don't think your temps are that bad at all - and your 4.4 GHz all core is more or less in line with other Auto-OC results I have seen on the 5950X. Cooler would likely get you more boost but I don't think it would be a huge difference.....