Samsung 980 Pro

Any news on whether PCS will be offering these drives in their configurator when they launch later this month? They're brisk performers by the look of it and I would want one or two in my new system when I order (post Zen3 announcement) if possible.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I'm imagine they will put them on the configurator at some point but as nobody here works for PCS, we're not in a position to confirm. You can try contacting PCS direct via the Live Chat and seeing if they can give you any information regarding your query.

Only PCS would be able to answer that with any confidence however as they offered the previous Samsung speedy m.2 drives I'd say they will eventually.

Thanks. It's a question of being patient then, and also waiting for Zen3 / 3080 (10 or 20GB) / RDNA2

As a side note... which of PCS' current case offerings has the best airflow for a high end gaming rig, would you say? Would likely look to use a Zen3 8/10 core CPU / 32GB 3600MHz RAM.

Also, would the Noctua DH-U14S be sufficient or would I need an AIO? Not overclocking. I've posed similar questions elsewhere but no detailed replies thus far. Thanks in advance!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
@Scott had this to say on an older thread, he knows his stuff...

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 240mm water cooler on any high end chip nowadays. With the 3800X it runs fairly cool by comparison so you can get away with lesser brands such as the PCS variant, or the Coolermaster. If you want to go premium then you want the H100i RGB platinum or the H115i.

@Scott had this to say on an older thread, he knows his stuff...

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 240mm water cooler on any high end chip nowadays. With the 3800X it runs fairly cool by comparison so you can get away with lesser brands such as the PCS variant, or the Coolermaster. If you want to go premium then you want the H100i RGB platinum or the H115i.

Thanks. I had looked at the H100i and the H115i too. I was just concerned about serviceability / maintenance but I understand that with AIO's it's not an issue?

What do you want from a case? Ultra quiet and understated or a flashy beast?

Pertinent question! Thanks. Not interested in RGB for a start. As long as it doesn't sound like a leafblower it'd be okay so the focus would be on cooling rather than noise dampening. It'll still be quieter than my 10-year old Core i7-870 I am sure!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks. I had looked at the H100i and the H115i too. I was just concerned about serviceability / maintenance but I understand that with AIO's it's not an issue?

They're zero maintenance and whisper quiet, I've got the H100i RGB Platinum and it's brilliant. The Fractal Define 7 Quiet is the best classy non-RGB case, it has superb airflow.

They're zero maintenance and whisper quiet, I've got the H100i RGB Platinum and it's brilliant. The Fractal Define 7 Quiet is the best classy non-RGB case, it has superb airflow.
Thanks. I looked at the Lian Li Lancool II (thinking I could maybe just set the RGB to white, or off) but is the FD7Q a better case overall then? Re: the cooler, is the 115i worth the extra or are you totally happy with the 100i? I think the 155i has a larger, but slower moving fan, yes?

In either case, would I need to spec the MX-4 HTC or is that unnecessary? Again, not overclocking but just want a cool-running system, mainly for component longevity.

I appreciate the "off-topic" conversation here - thanks again.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
No worries, happy to help. The Lancool is also excellent for airflow and lower budget, so the choice is yours. It might be little noisier though.

The H115i has the larger radiator so will offer more heat dissipation. If it fits the case, it's worth opting for that. I had to go for the H100i as my case is dinky! The premium paste will not be required as the Corsair comes with a quality paste pre-applied.

No worries, happy to help. The Lancool is also excellent for airflow and lower budget, so the choice is yours. It might be little noisier though.

The H115i has the larger radiator so will offer more heat dissipation. If it fits the case, it's worth opting for that. I had to go for the H100i as my case is dinky! The premium paste will not be required as the Corsair comes with a quality paste pre-applied.
Thanks! Great feedback. I'm sure the PCS configurator would catch the sizing issue with the Fractal Case and the 115i so I would go for that I think. Not that I am wanting to throw money away here, but if we think the FD7Q is a better case than the Lian Li for some reason, I'd go the extra. What makes it superior do you think?

If you have time, I'd also like to discuss monitors!

steaky360

If you have time, I'd also like to discuss monitors!
1600947189044.png

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It's all in the design, Fractal really put thought into their cases. Have a look at some pics and you'll see the lovely venting at the front. Its consistently recommended by the superusers and mods on here.

Monitors! Okay, I'll try and help out. If I can't assist, I know people who can and we'll call in the big guns 😁 (y)

Okay! I'm now sold on the FD7Q then. In the overall scheme of things it's not a big deal. It was never going to be a cheap PC replacement :)

Re: monitors... the system will be used for gaming (obviously!) but also, it's my main work PC (my own company so it's a part-funded thing as it were). I do IT Support and currently have 3x Dell monitors (2 old 30" 3008's and a generic Dell 20"). I want to go 4K and replace all 3 screens with 3x 4K versions. As I don't want to be stupid and blow a mint, I'm happy to settle for 60Hz. HDR would be nice. Height adjustability and thin bezels (see previous re: 3x monitors) will be important.

Regarding size - I think my desk would accommodate 3x 32" units at at push, but I would be happy with 3x 27" if that is better in terms of spec per £. As long as they're all the same of course! Not bothered about multi-monitor gaming really either. I'd just stick to the one I think.

I did think about 1440p and higher refresh rates, but I do like the additional clarity and "screen real estate" of 4K, especially since my current 30" panels can do 2560x1600 anyway - it'd be like taking a step backwards, no?

Again, I thank you all for your comments!

Thanks but I think I want 3x separate panels because I like to snap windows to individual screens. Plus, 3x 4K will give an effective desktop of 11520 x 2160 whereas the G9 sports "only" 5120 x 1440.

I agree though - it's a beast!