Samsung 980 Pro

steaky360

Thanks! I will check that thread out and of course, welcome any input from @SpyderTracks or @Scott too.

Er... what about motherboards? It doesn't sound to me (from poring over all the specs) that I need anything more than an ASUS x570 TUF Gaming? I don't need WiFi and I am not overclocking. Am I right here?

Really do appreciate the feedback guys!

steaky360

Thanks! I will check that thread out and of course, welcome any input from @SpyderTracks or @Scott too.

Er... what about motherboards? It doesn't sound to me (from poring over all the specs) that I need anything more than an ASUS x570 TUF Gaming? I don't need WiFi and I am not overclocking. Am I right here?

Really do appreciate the feedback guys!
Do you have a spec you're looking at? If you just post the full spec and budget its much easier rather than discussing each component in isolation :). We can and will obviously help out identifying why certain components are being selected where its not clear.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I believe when you get to around the 12 core 3900X level chips you're generally recommended to go for the Rog Strix x570 as it has better VRM and heat sinks (y)

Do you have a spec you're looking at? If you just post the full spec and budget its much easier rather than discussing each component in isolation :). We can and will obviously help out identifying why certain components are being selected where its not clear.
No I am sorry I don't have a spec yet as it's going to be based on Zen3. I think 8 or 10 core CPU, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, Fast M.2 drive (980 Pro or similar), nVidia 3080 10GB or 20GB (or RDNA2 if it's compelling). I can't draft the spec yet as there are too many unknow variables but I was just wondering in principle about some of the sub-components. I am sorry I can't be more specific just yet.

@AgentCooper so would the rule of thumb be Strix if we're at 12 cores or above? I hear Zen3 might have a 10-core part which obviously sits in the middle of "5800X and 5900X" (or whatever they're going to be called).

If we would prefer to hold off on further conversation until the various announcements (Zen 3, RDNA2) then of course that is fine but general chat on the topic will definitely aid me (and maybe others) in making the right decisions I think!

Apologies @neilrobinson881 I'm absolutely not trying to stop the discussion, I was just wondering as if you did, its far easier to discuss the whole spec as certain bits of advice might change knowing the full context/build/budget/etc/etc.

That's no problem at all. I just didn't want to be a pest as it were! I do realise that recommendations need context and some knowledge of the system's overall design goals so I was looking to pose my questions in isolation as it were, since the actual specs of the machine (cores / RAM / GPU etc.) I think I can determine anyway. It's more of the unknowns I was looking at, (motherboard choices (CPU dependent I know), cooling solutions and cases etc.). @AgentCooper has already been extremely helpful on that case / cooling side so it's down to monitors and motherboards now I think.

In terms of the storage solution, per the thread name, I'm looking at probably 2x 1TB 980 Pros (when available) and then probably a basic Windows 10-based Storage group of 4x SSD's (I'll fit these myself) for bulk files. They'll mainly be my work's Dropbox cache anyway so no issues with resilience. My game data will reside on one of of the 1TB PCIe4 volumes to be exploited when nVidia IO or Microsoft DirectStorage comes to pass!

I hope all this makes sense, and you have my continued thanks!

@AgentCooper I have been reading up on the Fractal Design Define 7 Quiet and it would appear that thermals might actually be an issue?

1600954520243.png

The above was taken at the 15:49 mark of of a Gamers Nexus video which I generally find to be pretty good. A pity that PCS seem to have no availability for the Meshify S2 as that would fit the bill perfectly.

Video link below:-

Thanks for any comments!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@AgentCooper I have been reading up on the Fractal Design Define 7 Quiet and it would appear that thermals might actually be an issue?

View attachment 18616

The above was taken at the 15:49 mark of of a Gamers Nexus video which I generally find to be pretty good. A pity that PCS seem to have no availability for the Meshify S2 as that would fit the bill perfectly.

Video link below:-

Thanks for any comments!
The Fractal is a quiet case, any quiet case will compromise on thermals to some extent, it remains one of the best performers for both noise and thermals. If you've got an AIO cooler though which we would recommend for the most part, the thermal issue addressed in that screenshot are moot as the ventilation is not particularly done by the case but by the radiator which is directly outputting out of the case. That screenshot is relating to aircooling.

If you go to the conclusion in the video, he sums it up that if you're using a AIO, then the thermals aren't as much of a consideration. (24:48 in the video)

If you particularly want the S2 Meshify, you can always order elsewhere and have it shipped to PCS for them to build in, it's a superb case.

Thank you thank you! In that case I'll stick with the FDD7Q since it's a better-looking case than the Meshify. Will definitely go with the H115i too. I just didn't want to have to open the door every time I played a game!

This forum is epic! Brilliant help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you thank you! In that case I'll stick with the FDD7Q since it's a better-looking case than the Meshify. Will definitely go with the H115i too. I just didn't want to have to open the door every time I played a game!

This forum is epic! Brilliant help.
H115i Platinum is a stonking cooler, it's quite remarkable actually.