Samsung G9 on order finally!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So have you got it set up yet...........
I'm "working" until just after 2 then gotta pop out and get my booster. Then if I'm feeling half human I'll get it setup tonight hopefully.

Gotta dismantle my current deskmount and monitor and then find some way to raise it by 2cm so I can squeeze the speakers under it.

barlew

Godlike
I'm "working" until just after 2 then gotta pop out and get my booster. Then if I'm feeling half human I'll get it setup tonight hopefully.

Gotta dismantle my current deskmount and monitor and then find some way to raise it by 2cm so I can squeeze the speakers under it.
You are a better man than me. I would be chinning work right off at this point. Just twitch the mouse every now and then!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You are a better man than me. I would be chinning work right off at this point. Just twitch the mouse every now and then!
Lols, that's exactly what my colleague said :)

So it's in.

Very first impressions, I've literally done nothing with it other than get it plugged in, still need to check firmware version which will likely need updating, need to set HDR up and of course 240Hz, perhaps alter out of box settings a little although not too bothered about that.

Firstly:

I know this is gonna sound stoopid, but it's worth mentioning..... THIS IS A BIG MONITOR!!! I've been measuring this out on my desk the last few days, and the measurements were all accurate, but when it's actually in there, it's BIG. When you actually do the measurements, it's 2 x 24" 1440p screens together, but it just doesn't feel like that when you have it in front of you, it feels huge, you really are looking side to side, especially when it's on a desk in front of you rather than wallmounted, it's a wrap around behmoth.

And @KriSta is absolutely right, it's unweildy. Once you've set it up (which is simple) actually getting it in place and getting all the cables connected if you're in any kind of tight space is actually quite challenging. I found the only way was to tilt the screen upwards and stick my head under the chassis to try to see the ports.

And then of course I made some wonderful rookie mistakes like forgetting to plug the DP cable into the PC! and getting worried when I was getting no signal on all channels :) I also somehow managed to get the pc into an OOBE state and the keyboard is now preparing for firmware download which I need to sort out (literally no idea how I managed that!).

Clever things:

Power cable has a 90 degree angle on it, has to be the case to fit snuggly, but still, it's a nice touch.

Annoying things:

DP cable DOESN'T have 90 degree angle on it, and really could do with one.

I used all the supplied cables just in case aftermarket power cables were causing the popping that a number of people have reported. So far no issues, but they may well present once the firmware is updated and it's in 240Hz.

But currently:

No popping from the PSU
No visual defects on the actual display or bezels.
It is currently sleeping and waking from sleep correctly.

20211222_171534.jpg

I'm actually feeling a little lightheaded and drowsy after my shot (and flat tyre on the way back!!!) so am gonna take a nap with Die Hard on in honour of this ridiculous visual panorama.

But I shall update further once it's all setup.

barlew

Godlike

So it's in.

Very first impressions, I've literally done nothing with it other than get it plugged in, still need to check firmware version which will likely need updating, need to set HDR up and of course 240Hz, perhaps alter out of box settings a little although not too bothered about that.

Firstly:

I know this is gonna sound stoopid, but it's worth mentioning..... THIS IS A BIG MONITOR!!! I've been measuring this out on my desk the last few days, and the measurements were all accurate, but when it's actually in there, it's BIG. When you actually do the measurements, it's 2 x 24" 1440p screens together, but it just doesn't feel like that when you have it in front of you, it feels huge, you really are looking side to side, especially when it's on a desk in front of you rather than wallmounted, it's a wrap around behmoth.

And @KriSta is absolutely right, it's unweildy. Once you've set it up (which is simple) actually getting it in place and getting all the cables connected if you're in any kind of tight space is actually quite challenging. I found the only way was to tilt the screen upwards and stick my head under the chassis to try to see the ports.

And then of course I made some wonderful rookie mistakes like forgetting to plug the DP cable into the PC! and getting worried when I was getting no signal on all channels :) I also somehow managed to get the pc into an OOBE state and the keyboard is now preparing for firmware download which I need to sort out (literally no idea how I managed that!).

Clever things:

Power cable has a 90 degree angle on it, has to be the case to fit snuggly, but still, it's a nice touch.

Annoying things:

I used all the supplied cables just in case aftermarket power cables were causing the popping that a number of people have reported. So far no issues, but they may well present once the firmware is updated and it's in 240Hz.

But currently:

No popping from the PSU

View attachment 31281

I'm actually feeling a little lightheaded and drowsy after my shot (and flat tyre on the way back!!!) so am gonna take a nap with Die Hard on in honour of this ridiculous visual panorama.

That looks absolutely class, and you are right it is enormous! Hopefully the jab doesn't lay you out too badly and you can get some decent testing in soon!

TomBerry

Bright Spark

So it's in.

Firstly:

Clever things:

Annoying things:

But currently:

No popping from the PSU

View attachment 31281

Looks fantaaaastic!!! What brightness do you have yours on? I can't have it above 65 when not on Eye Saver Mode, it's so bright!!! Fully recommend keeping it on Eye Saver Mode apart from when gaming, otherwise your eyes will dry out super quick. Can't even imagine this monitor at 100% brightness...

P.S. Welcome to the G9 family!

D

Deleted member 41971

I know this is gonna sound stoopid, but it's worth mentioning..... THIS IS A BIG MONITOR!!!

"just need to see what's on the right of the monitor, wait a min"

Man walking gif 11 » GIF Images Download

"there we go"

it does look really cool through, i hope you enjoy say flight sim on it in all its curved glory

so am gonna take a nap with Die Hard on in honour of this ridiculous visual panorama.

yippee ki yay mother SPARTA :LOL:

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
I guess we will have to wait until Samsung produces a 49" True 4K 32:9 screen :-D But I don`t get all the hype of this screen . Like every other screen is below or worse than this :) Sure the G9 is good and unique in it`s own way , but Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX is probably equal or better ( minus the size ) , or for sligthy larger size ROG Swift PG35VQ or ROG Swift PG43UQ . But I see no one are actually mentioning these screens when pairing with an RTX 3080 or 3080Ti or even 3070Ti . It always ends up with Samsung . But it is nonetheless an impressive purchase :)

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I guess we will have to wait until Samsung produces a 49" True 4K 32:9 screen :-D But I don`t get all the hype of this screen . Like every other screen is below or worse than this :) Sure the G9 is good and unique in it`s own way , but Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX is probably equal or better ( minus the size ) , or for sligthy larger size ROG Swift PG35VQ . But I see no one are actually mentioning these screens when pairing with an RTX 3080 or 3080Ti or even 3070Ti . It always ends up with Samsung , Samsung and more of it :)
I think it’s because it’s such a game changer in terms of immersion for gamers and the potential productivity options it opens up for people who’d normally double screen.

The FOV when I’m sat in my virtual cab in American Truck Sim? Oh, yes please!

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
I think it’s because it’s such a game changer in terms of immersion for gamers and the potential productivity options it opens up for people who’d normally double screen.

The FOV when I’m sat in my virtual cab in American Truck Sim? Oh, yes please!
That might be well enough , but when recommending a screen for a user that wants to pair his RTX 3070/Ti or 3080 /Ti it always ends up with just the Samsung being recommended , like no other screen is worth mentioning . I feel that is a bit biased and not accurate . These Asus screens mentioned ( there are others , but I`m making a point here ) are high quality superb screens that will more than enough saturate these GPU`s while working superb with productivity tools . Not everyone have space for a 49" Superwide and yet even if user says " nahh I`m not sure " there is no mentioning to equal quality screens with similar properties ( Local Dimming , HDR 600+ , 144Hz+ ) and so on . Discussion kind of ends with the Samsung G9 .

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
3070Ti would go nicely with a 34" ultrawide like the Gigabyte M34WQ-EK in my signature & @AgentCooper regularly has recommended monitor that he has hooked up to his 3070

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That might be well enough , but when recommending a screen for a user that wants to pair his RTX 3070/Ti or 3080 /Ti it always ends up with just the Samsung being recommended , like no other screen is worth mentioning . I feel that is a bit biased and not accurate . These Asus screens mentioned ( there are others , but I`m making a point here ) are high quality superb screens that will more than enough saturate these GPU`s while working superb with productivity tools . Not everyone have space for a 49" Superwide and yet even if user says " nahh I`m not sure " there is no mentioning to equal quality screens with similar properties ( Local Dimming , HDR 600+ , 144Hz+ ) and so on . Discussion kind of ends with the Samsung G9 .
Not true. Whenever a spec thread comes up with 3080 upwards the response from the people who volunteer their time helping is almost always ‘you’re looking at 4K 144Hz or super ultrawide’

I won’t deny that there’s a group of people here who are huge fans of the G9 and it is recommended often. But to say the discussion ends with the Samsung is somewhat misleading.

We also had a fairly long period where getting hold of a 4K 144Hz screen was nigh on impossible, and the ones that were available were around 28 inch.

I kind of see where you’re coming from, the long and short of it is that you’re always welcome to actually get involved with monitor and spec threads if you feel so strongly about the matter.

Bhuna50

Author Level

Most recommendations come from what people themselves are using or have used in the past. It is also pointed out though that other alternatives are available and all depends on peoples budgets, requirements etc.

As said, feel free to make some recommendations yourself too if you see a thread - thats the whole idea of it being a public forum - everyone has an opinion.

In fact - for anyone looking at 1440p 144hz 27" monitor - I highly recommend the Dell that I just purchased.

It came in slightly more expensive than the highly recommended Samsung G5, but I think it might have been @SpyderTracks who had the earlier version of this monitor and mentioned how good it was.

Vajra

Silver Level Poster
As a lifelong laptop user who just bought his first ever desktop I'm absolutely amazed and supper happy with my AOC CU34G2X 34inch recommended by AgentCooper and SpyderTracks (the biggest laptop I've ever had was 17inch so half the size of what I have now) and I'm still getting used to monitor this size.

I just can't imagine how enormous G9 is.