Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Big thank you to @Martinr36 for his post on the Fold 2, I'd been looking at it with eager eyes as soon as it was released, they did such a great job of it from the Fold 1, was just a monumental improvement in a very short space of time. I would say the Fold 3 is an incremental improvement over the 2 in the right areas, but it's by no means a huge difference.

I decided I'd hold out for the September phone releases, it was all down to price really, there were rumours the Fold 3 was going to be £2k which would have been an absolute no no, but it ended up being quite substantially less, even £100 less than the Fold 2 was on release. I was very close to getting the Fold 2 on more than one occasion, my iPhone's battery was knackered and I was having to charge it twice a day, the wireless charging was just overheating the phone and not fully charging.

The phones on my radar were only 2, the Fold 3 and the Surface Duo 2 (which is announced next month). I don't think Apple are going to have anything particularly competitive this year, it's just been incremental upgrade after incremental upgrade since the iPhone X 4 years ago. And the Duo is a lovely phone, but it's still 2 screens, and my main usage will be video playback through Plex, YouTube and Twitch as well as Teams for work, so not having that central crease was all important.... But again, it was all down to price.

On the 11th, Samsung held their Unpacked livestream at 3pm. I managed to catch the main bit about the Fold while working and saw enough to convince me it was worth it. Pre-orders went live straight after the stream at 4pm and when I saw the price I didn't hesitate.

As seems to happen with any big release these days, EE's website and app went down a couple of minutes after pre orders went live for about 30 minutes. I had one in my basket just as the site went down. So I phoned up thinking I'd never get through, but after about 15 minutes in the queue, there was a beautiful lady with a strong European accent there to serve me.

Their internal systems were struggling as well, I do wonder if they had some pretty heavy bombardment on their network somewhere because it seemed like everything was affected. She persevered though, and within about 30 minutes, after she had to put me on hold and speak to her manager to verify the order was secure, we had it done. By the time I was off the phone with her, the 256Gb model had already sold out, so I was very lucky.

So, fingers crossed, the phone gets released on the 27th August. I'm fully prepared that I won't get mine that date, there's almost certainly going to be a delay, although Samssung really ramped up production to try to escape the low volumes they were able to supply during release week of the Fold 2.

This will be my first Samsung phone since the original Note in 2011, and my first android device since the Sony Xperia Z Ultra I sold in 2015, so it's gonna be a great refreshing change all round.

Will post further when I get my hands on it!

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
According to a friend of mine who went into an EE store to check one out hands on, EE are getting their stocks a week prior to release date.

It's not unheard of for suppliers to "accidentally" ship units early.

It's only a week to go anyway until official release date.

I'm keen!

1629414625325.png

A nice little bonus is that after pre order, EE reduced the price of the phone so the contract will be £4 per month cheaper.

Also, something I wasn't aware of, for UK pre orders, Samsung have thrown in a "Starter Kit" worth £80 which includes:

Flip Case + S Pen and 25W Super Fast Charger

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's an update on the order page:

1629918806310.png

I'm hoping it's despatched tomorrow for delivery on Friday. I know they use DPD which I'm really happy about, it's a while since I've seen our local driver. If they manage that, I'll be seriously impressed, I think this phone has been more popular than Samsung were even hoping from what I've read, despite the high cost.

D

Deleted member 41971

There's an update on the order page:

View attachment 28826

I'm hoping it's despatched tomorrow for delivery on Friday. I know they use DPD which I'm really happy about, it's a while since I've seen our local driver. If they manage that, I'll be seriously impressed, I think this phone has been more popular than Samsung were even hoping from what I've read, despite the high cost.

the new love of your life will be with you soon

Love Phone GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
the new love of your life will be with you soon

Love Phone GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
It's so nice, I haven't been this excited for a phone since the iPhone X which was a while ago now and all in all a bit of a let down.

This I know already is going to pique my interest, not just for the form factor, but being back on Android as well.

Really looking forward to it.

Will have to book the local Church for a ceremony :love:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's so nice, I haven't been this excited for a phone since the iPhone X which was a while ago now and all in all a bit of a let down.

This I know already is going to pique my interest, not just for the form factor, but being back on Android as well.

Really looking forward to it.

Will have to book the local Church for a ceremony :love:
Which will arrive first , the z fold 3 or the Berserker :ROFLMAO:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thanks to work I’m well and truly indoctrinated in the way of the iPhone these days. I think the Apple Flip is still a couple of years away, I wonder what they’ll have in their locker as a USP… or if it’ll just rely on being an Apple product.