Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And battery life.... that was my main concern was would it last through the day, and it's a point that came up in a lot of reviews.

It's 100mAh less capacity than the Fold 2, but it's a newer generation 5G chip which the early ones were renowned for sucking juice, but that's balanced out with the front screen now being 120Hz. So it's Apples and Oranges really.

Yet I charged it to full at about 1pm yesterday afternoon as it was only about 65% charged out of the box, and used it EXTENSIVELY all day yesterday until about 2am, and it was still on about 55% when I went to bed, so much so I didn't bother sticking it on charge.

It's on charge now as it was down to about 35%.

But that's seriously impressive considering the pixel count and size (and brightness) of the new screen.

I haven't really looked too into the Snapdragon 888 SOC that's in this thing, but it appears they've made some very impressive improvements to power consumption.

Either that or Samung have vastly optimised the firmware and software on the phone.

I'm rather impressed to say the least.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Folding phone screens - now roll up teles too:

Rumoured to cost £100,000 so will have to save a couple of months umm years ummm decades before I get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've always noticed that the battery life seems to deteriorate quite rapidly after a year or 2. You might find that you were equally impressed with the Fold 2 on day one, but it diminished over time to the memory that you have of it now. That's certainly been the case with all of my previous phones :ROFLMAO:

The roll up screens have been in the works for a while now. If they can get the technology nailed I think we can say cheerio to the Projector.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just getting fully into the integration of android with windows, it's really impressive.

This dynamic lock so that your phone automatically unlocks your PC when you're within a certain distance and locks it when you walk away is a really nice touch.

Just posting this in case there are people who don't realise you can do it:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've always noticed that the battery life seems to deteriorate quite rapidly after a year or 2. You might find that you were equally impressed with the Fold 2 on day one, but it diminished over time to the memory that you have of it now. That's certainly been the case with all of my previous phones :ROFLMAO:

The roll up screens have been in the works for a while now. If they can get the technology nailed I think we can say cheerio to the Projector.
Oh yeah, battery deterioration is a given. On iPhones though the batteries aren't that great, even new, you'll just about manage a day, but with power use, you won't last that. And the iPhone XS that I previously had was the first wireless charging Apple device, but not sure if it was my charger or the phone, but I had to stop using it after a couple of years as it would only charge part way and then start overheating the phone which damaged the battery further. I wasn't into it enough to look into the cause or solution. I could have got a new battery for it, but couldn't be bothered as I was at home so much, it wasn't that important.

The real test is when travelling and using bluetooth headphones while streaming, that's where it really drains the battery. Won't be able to test that for a while though.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The real test is when travelling and using bluetooth headphones while streaming, that's where it really drains the battery. Won't be able to test that for a while though.
I’ve just commenced a weeks annual leave, filled the car up with petrol and checked my tyre pressures, we can test it as soon as you like.

I’ll point us towards Scotland, about ten minutes into the drive I’ll inevitably start talking about cable management and Twin Peaks, you can put your headphones on and begin the experiment.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just getting fully into the integration of android with windows, it's really impressive.

This dynamic lock so that your phone automatically unlocks your PC when you're within a certain distance and locks it when you walk away is a really nice touch.

Just posting this in case there are people who don't realise you can do it:

That's been a feature with Bluetooth devices for a while now, I tried it.... it worked great. I did it with my phone and my earbuds initially but I ended up switching it off as my phone would remain unlocked when I was just in the room.... not handy with workmates!

I dare say the same issue wouldn't be there for Windows but with Hello I've not really needed to look into certain features.

I would only advise caution ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's been a feature with Bluetooth devices for a while now, I tried it.... it worked great. I did it with my phone and my earbuds initially but I ended up switching it off as my phone would remain unlocked when I was just in the room.... not handy with workmates!

I dare say the same issue wouldn't be there for Windows but with Hello I've not really needed to look into certain features.

I would only advise caution ;)
Yeah, understood, and appreciated (y)

It's only at home on my personal machines, I don't normally lock them as don't really mind if the others look at my stuff, there's nothing sensitive on them and I trust them anyway.

My machines are too old to support Windows Hello unfortunately, my laptop has a fingerprint scanner, but it's one of the very early ones with a metal bar that you drag your finger across and I never found they worked particularly well so have never used it.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Just turned mine into an iPhone fold to see what all the hypes about [emoji23]

4ada47e6f7c1dea13b05f52cb1fb30c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So it appeared that the android edge browser was sucking a lot of battery for mo apparent reason, so I've switched to the DuckDuckGo browser temporarily to audition.

Edge may well have been the cause for overheating when folded closed also. Liking duckduckgo off the bat, very light and no frills.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So it appeared that the android edge browser was sucking a lot of battery for mo apparent reason, so I've switched to the DuckDuckGo browser temporarily to audition.

Edge may well have been the cause for overheating when folded closed also. Liking duckduckgo off the bat, very light and no frills.
I use Edge on my Galaxy S9 and have done for a long time. I like the auto language translate feature.

It's far from the biggest user of my battery and I use it quite a lot.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I use Edge on my Galaxy S9 and have done for a long time. I like the auto language translate feature.

It's far from the biggest user of my battery and I use it quite a lot.
I think it may be connected to syncing, although not certain but seems to be an ongoing issue for a few people: