Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (1TB)

Boggy

Would a Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (1TB) fit in an ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s. If so, would I notice any difference with what it's running now a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)?

Boggy

Well, the motherboard supports a type 2280 M2 drive...the Samsung 970 Evo is a Type 2280 so I see no reason why it wouldn't. The M2 drive would be a lot faster than what you have now (3500/3300 read/write speeds versus the 540/520 you have now)...in practice how much you will notice is is a different matter....Windows will load a few seconds quicker, games will load a little quicker...it would be more noticeable if doing large file transfers between drives or working with large data sets
Thanks for reply. I'll give it some thought, as the system is getting a bit long in the tooth after six years of hammering.

Frypot

I have an X99-S and whereas my M2 (WD Blue SN550) sort of works I have had some technical problems setting it up - getting the mobo to read it as a boot device has been a bloody nightmare. For a while it would boot after one restart from the M2 then after a second restart it would try booting from my HDD. After some settings wrangling currently I have it so it will always boot from the M2 but I don't currently have a BIOS screen, I get a error sound every time I turn on the PC and it usually requires me on start up to go through the process of turning it on, waiting for the error sound and hitting the hard restart button on the case. Only then will it boot to desktop..... This is after updating the BIOS prior to installing the M2. I figure maybe flashing the BIOS may sort it but I have put it off as I don't want to get back into it trying to boot from the HDD and it's still quicker than running on the HDD.

Contrary to NUREMORPH's comment, despite the problems, I have found it has been a worthwhile upgrade and has breathed new life into an otherwise ageing desktop (I7-5930K, GTX 980, 16GB 2133mhz CRUCIAL DDR4)

Frypot

@Frypot Did you upgrade to the M2 from a SATA drive or an SSD? The jump from a SATA to M2 is more extreme than SSD to M2. Also, I don't deny that an M2 can breathe new life into an aging and slowing system....my point was that the price of the Samsung is rather expensive and not sure it would make enough of a difference to warrant the very high cost. If the OP was going for a cheaper M2 drive, then I would've recommended it
Apologies, yes, it was an 8+ year old (maybe more) SATA HDD so was well out of date. I misread the original post, I would agree a SSD to M2 on that system probably wouldn't be the best use of the money.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would also add that sometimes it is the new Windows install that makes the most difference to a slowing system rather than the drive itself as all Windows installations slow as time goes on...it is why people recommend regularly re-installing Windows (every 6 months to a year) to keep it at optimal speed
The slowdown of Windows over time is an effect of HDD fragmentation, SSDs don't suffer in the same way. They do still collect a lot of garbage so a reinstall every so often is still a good idea. :)

Boggy

Thanks for all your imput but after being involved with IT since the early 70's and writing software I find the thought of reinstalling Windows every six months bloody crazy and totally unnecessary. Reinstalling all the pirated software would give me a heart attack.🤭

Boggy

Well installed the card but not showing in Bios it's showing in "file explorer" but no sign of it in the bios so can't use it to boot to. Do I need a firmware update or is there something else amiss.

I formatted the card and cloned the complete system to it. Obviously the original ssd drive is still active.

Boggy

Installed a Samsung SSD Interne 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (1TB) fit in an ASUS® X99-S No sign of it in BIOS but Windows explorer sees it. The card is formatted and cloned with the OS. Wanted to use it as boot drive but can't if the BIOS doesn't see it. Any sensible suggestions would be appreciated.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
First thing I'd do is check the motherboard manual to confirm it supports booting from M.2 NVMe drives...