Sandy Bridge Systems

dontsimon

How soon after release will you have Sandy Bridge systems available? I assume it must take a while for you to work out / try different configs to find the most suitable components? Ideal systems surely don't come together straight away.

Or do system builders get pre release examples to try out so you're already prepared?

Also, how much risk do you consider it is to be an early adopter? For example maybe a motherboard / memory combo could have issues that don't spring up immediately??

Thanks.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We're ready to go now, all stocked up, so you can order on 9th Jan onwards...:)

Early adopter = higher prices for new technology releases (not charged by us, but the manufacurers)

dontsimon

Will the Sandy Bridge motherboards you'll be offering have PCI slots?

I'm a little confused. The details I've seen for the P67 / H67 boards state that they don't support PCI slots any more. But then this board does appear to have 2 PCI slots.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
It's a myth - the board we will be selling have PCI ports, some more PCI than PCI-E. :)

dontsimon

Done it a bit more research. It isn't a myth as such - the P67 / H67 chipsets don't natively support PCI, but some board manufacturers are including PCI slots via a PCI express bridging chip on the mobo.

Freeley

I assume PCS will have it all sussed out on their configurator so that idiots like me won't be able to choose stuff that is incompatible.
Or at least i hope they do anyway.

Meds

As far as I'm aware the 1155 socket (sandy bridge CPUs) will have it's own configurator on our website to prevent any compatibility issues, it will be easy to use & understand :)

LFFPicard

Godlike
Ok, trying not to be the dumb person here. But to put it in a nutshell..

Sandy Bridge CPU's have intergrated graphics about powerfull enough to play most games on medium.
They will still have the standard PCI-E slots for "External GPU'" to the CPU
They may not or will have limited PCI slots for things like the Killer network card, sound card, tv tuner etc.

Hope i got that right without sounding to stupid :)

Meds

1. The integrated Graphics will be good but I'd still not say they're adequate for gaming. If somebody wants a PC to play games I'd always recommend getting a dedicated graphics card.
2. The Motherboards will come with PCI-E x16 Slots to fit dedicated Graphics Cards.
3. The Motherboards will come with both PCI and PCI-E slots - numbers will vary depending on the Motherboard model.

wiserommer

Bronze Level Poster
OK can anyone answer this question....will there be i7 2600k available? also, the P series motherboard.

thanks

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
All Sandy Bridge processors that are due for launch on 9th January will be available to order.

cknbbq

Hello. Does this apply to laptops too. Are they going to be live for config's come Monday morning or are they going to be a little bit later.

Cheers

Neil

Meds

The new CPUs Intel are launching ("Sandy Bridge") are for desktops only. There will be no new Laptop CPUs available to order on Monday.