sata cable

conner

I've recently decided to install a gtx 750ti graphics card to my pc. I managed to fit the card in without any problems and to supply power to the card I needed a 6 pin cable (not sure of the name of the cable) so I bought an adapter which gets me from 2x 4 pin molex's to the 6 pin cable needed. But it turns out I only have 1 available molex. I have a spare sata and was wondering if I use an adapter for sata to molex? One thing I noticed was the the sata cable only had 2 wires going into it (yellow and red cable) I'm not sure what I can do. Sorry if it doesn't make sense I'm new to PC's. Any help would be appreciated. :)

steaky360

I assume you've already double checked there isn't a spare 6pin (PCI-E) cable coming from the PSU? What PSU do you have?

Not convinced I'd be happy having a sata to molex then a molex to 6pin. But maybe that's just me?

conner

I don't really know its exact specs. Its 500w, rail 1 is +3.3v 25a, rail 2 is +5 27a, rail 3 +12v 22a. That's all I know sorry lol not very good with all this PC stuff. My first time doing anything on my PC.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
PSU without a 6 pin power adapter.... odd. I mean really odd.

That problem usually corps up when adding a 2nd card, as nearly all PSU's have at least 1 x 6 pin.

You 110% sure you havnt just missed it as its tucked away somewhere?

conner

I'm pretty sure, checked it all over. All I have is a spare molex and a spare Sata cable. I was wondering if the Sata to molex would work then use my molex to 6 pin using both the molex plugs.

conner

That is the connector I have. But I only have 1 spare molex. So I was going to buy a sata to molex adaptor to get my other molex I needed. But I was having doubts as to weather it would work or not.
And that is the power supply that I have by the looks of it. Would you say I have to upgrade my psu?

Last edited:

conner

Yea I'm with you guys. I've been looking at the corsair CS550m. Would any of you guys say it's any good? It has everything I need and more than enough power. And for only about £60 it seems stupid to risk blowing anything else like you said. :)

conner

Need a new PSU.

Not very good with PCs so I wouldn't know where to start looking. I need a new PSU because I've recently bought a GTX750TI and my current PSU isn't good enough for it. My current PSU is 500w but has no PCI-E cable I need for the card. Need some suggestions on new PSU's preferably with extra PCI-E cables and 4 or more molex cables. would like to pay less than £100 if possible. Any help is appreciated. :) Also I have a MSI H81M-E33 Board if that needs to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Where do you get a decent PSU for £30?

You can get some alright (albeit low wattage ones) for about that price from. PCS will sell you a VS series from Corsair for about £30 delivered. Are they the best in the world, nope... But on a low end machine I would be more than happy to use one.

You can get similar units from EVGA and XFX for about the same money if not a fraction more when you include delivery. So it is possible to get 'decent' for only £30 IMO.