Saved Myself From a Costly Mistake!

kam67

Enthusiast
I have selected a system with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F motherboard which is currently in pre-production. However I have just noticed that PCS provides the option to use Gigabyte Auros motherboards. I was wondering if any of you guys have an opinion on the pros and cons of the two line ups.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have selected a system with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F motherboard which is currently in pre-production. However I have just noticed that PCS provides the option to use Gigabyte Auros motherboards. I was wondering if any of you guys have an opinion on the pros and cons of the two line ups.
Totally depends what the build is.

TBH, you keep going back and forth and changing things, you're going to really mess up your build if you keep doing this.

kam67

Enthusiast
Yes you have a point. It’s just given I’m spending a lot of money and it will be a while till the system is built - it seemed wise to be sure about my choices! Maybe should have spent more time doing this before pulling the trigger :unsure:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes you have a point. It’s just given I’m spending a lot of money and it will be a while till the system is built - it seemed wise to be sure about my choices! Maybe should have spent more time doing this before pulling the trigger :unsure:
I don't even know what your current specs are, you seemed to ignore most of the previous advice?

kam67

Enthusiast
Yes, admittedly in the end decided to play safe and go with the 9900k. However, I would be very interested to hear about the pros and cons of Gigabyte vs Asus performance motherboards. I’m not an overclocker by the way!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, admittedly in the end decided to play safe and go with the 9900k. However, I would be very interested to hear about the pros and cons of Gigabyte vs Asus performance motherboards. I’m not an overclocker by the way!
Without knowing your specs it's impossible to say.

kam67

Enthusiast
Case FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case FansNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
CaseFRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case FansNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.1 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
And remind me what it's for? I lament already.

kam67

Enthusiast
However let’s just assume I’m wasting money - I still think the choice of motherboard is significant.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's nothing to do with Intel over AMD.

On that rig as it's configured assuming Intel were the best choice (which they're not), you're wasting hundreds of pounds on parts that aren't relevant to the build.

I realise you may have been gaming on Intel for 15 years, but that was before AMD were the better option, so it's a bit moot. It's a bit like saying I've driven a Fiat for 15 years, why are you now telling me that Tesla are better. Fiats were great in the 60's but companies lose their way, intel is now the poor performer at expensive cost for no benefit.

At 1440p, Intel will perform exactly the same as AMD, but will cost significantly more. The only area Intel are superior is at 1080p 240Hz.

But you've been told all that before.

stegor

Bright Spark
Apparently the Gigabyte Bios is very poor.
Why are you interested in the BIOS if you aren't overclocking? And if you aren't overclocking then a 1200W PSU is ridiculous for that build.
FYI the VRM on Gigabyte boards is better than Asus.
And why do you want Windows 10 pro?

kam67

Enthusiast
I am not sure even the OP knows why to be honest....they are jumping all over the place...settles on something and then decides something else is wrong. An excellent spec was posted but the OP has pretty much ignored the advice and done their own thing. I'm not even sure why they asked for advice to begin with if they aren't going to listen to it :unsure:

I’ve asked for advice and have been very grateful to receive it. If in the end, I decide to act in a way not totally in accordance with that advice, it does necessarily make me foolish or rash. And even if you consider that I am making a mistake, there are ways to communicate that with becoming personal and disrespectful.

As for choosing a motherboard and being interested in how user friendly the bios is - these are relevant even if one is not overclocking.

Last edited: