Screen Randomly Going Black and Have to Force Shut Down

Will06

I bought my pc at the beginning of the year and in the past couple of months my screen has randomly been going black. The only way to fix the screen is to force shut down my computer. The frequency of the screen going black is inconsistent, but it has only happened when playing games (so far). At first a thought that the computer was overheating, but I have concluded that that is not the case. I have checked that it is not my HMDI cable or monitor at fault and all my drivers are up-to-date. When the screen goes black I cannot do anything like ctrl alt delete or switch to another program, however, my Bluetooth devices are still connected and the computer is still running like normal. This can become very annoying especially if my games don't autosave.

Here are my specifications:
Case
PCS 3312B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700 (3.0GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® H310M-A R2.0: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
How did you establish that it's not overheating? It would be good to see some actual temperatures, both at idle and at maximum load.

Will06

Idle temperature is about 33 and I did a stress test on the full system where it got up to 98, but the screen did not go black at all. Also the screen can go black even if the computer is not hot to the touch.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's far too high.

TBH, the PC is not well configured at all.

The cooler is not appropriate for the CPU.

The case isn't suitable for the build.

The motherboard isn't really designed for the CPU.

The recommended PSU for that GPU is 700W, so it's likely powering off because it's out of juice and hence just shutting down.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there's no way of getting around it really without a major overhaul.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Idle temperature is about 33 and I did a stress test on the full system where it got up to 98, but the screen did not go black at all. Also the screen can go black even if the computer is not hot to the touch.
Just to add to the above:

98 degrees is far too high. I don't know what CPU temperature parameter you are referring to as there is more than one. The max permissible temp at the CPU die for the 9700 is 100 degrees - so your CPU would have been doing everything it could to prevent itself cooking.

I know you say it was only during a stress test - I don't know which stress test - but it's important to understand that a stress test - no matter which one - is supposed to confirm if your CPU can operate correctly under pressure and remain cool at the same. Yours CPU has unfortunately failed that latter aspect of the test at least. :cry: There isn't a stress test out there for which achieving the max permissible temp is a acceptable result I'm afraid.

1621083599517.png

could you set your maximum processor state to 90 and run the stress test again would be interested to see the temps at 90

yeah this test for me is basically do i need a aio cooler or dedicated fan for my cpu that isnt a amd or intel standard so if i was in your shoes i would either run cpu at 90% which is such a waste and not really a option but you can if you want

or b invest in better cooling for your cpu cos its overheating at 100%

This is a basic undervolt without going into jargon and multiple settings I did some tests on my 5800x cpu dropped about 6 frames in gaming nothing massively noticeable but I would just get better cooling hope it helped you

Last edited:

Will06

The screen went black again and I checked the temperature as soon as I booted it back up and it was at 56. The processor state is still at 90 and I have tried to increase the airflow around the computer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The screen went black again and I checked the temperature as soon as I booted it back up and it was at 56. The processor state is still at 90 and I have tried to increase the airflow around the computer.
You need to monitor temps as you're using it, reading it after the fact has no relevance as the temp can go from 90c to 10c in a matter of micro seconds.

You need to have a temp monitor open as you're using it and preferably logging so you can see what the temps are when it goes black.

LAUGUT

Perhaps a red herring but i have the same Graphics card as you and there is some reporting of a black screen event on other forums. I have put a thread in on this site to see if anyone has had a problem concerning the AMD bug reporting which some seem to think may have something to do with it.