Screen resolution set ok, but appears low after Windows10 update today?

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
I can hardly read what I type. Remember this in any answer.

So Windows 10 this evening did an update WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, and now my DELL (Nvidia) display is 'bity'. I was expecting to go to display settings and find I just needed to set it back to high-res....but it is still set to high-res.

Huh? Windows Troubleshooter says everything is fine.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any fixes?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows 10 doesn't need your permission to update or upgrade. The End User License Agreement (EULA) that you must agree to before installing makes it clear that you agree to accept all updates that Microsoft sees fit to ship out.

If your text is too small to read it sounds like the display scaling has been changed by the update. Right click on an empty space on the desktop and select Display Settings from the drop-down menu. In the settings window that opens look for the Scale and Layout section, in there is a setting that says 'Change the size of text, apps and other items'. It's probably set to 100%, click the down arrow to the right and try selecting a higher percentage (125% or 150% for example) to find a setting that suits you.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you ubuysa. Good note. The display settings looked as you described so it remains a mystery when three hours later I returned to my PC and,... all was good again without me changing anything.

Hmmm.

ragnar28

I would run through my update logs and see if something was happening during the initialisation of the downloaded update, then again i may be paranoid, my windows ten has done some odd things too whilst updating. It is tinkering with the software as its running, i think this is why they advise to not turn off ( or really touch anything ) haha. Nowadays i tend to turn a blind eye and hope when i get back that nothing blew up. So far so good :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you ubuysa. Good note. The display settings looked as you described so it remains a mystery when three hours later I returned to my PC and,... all was good again without me changing anything.

Hmmm.

I would run through my update logs and see if something was happening during the initialisation of the downloaded update, then again i may be paranoid, my windows ten has done some odd things too whilst updating. It is tinkering with the software as its running, i think this is why they advise to not turn off ( or really touch anything ) haha. Nowadays i tend to turn a blind eye and hope when i get back that nothing blew up. So far so good :)

This is highly possible. It's possible that a video card update was done in the background during that 3 hours and that's why all is well now. As ragnar28 says, check the update history to see whether any updates were installed in that 3 hours...