Seeking wisdom about VR

RobertsE

Im hoping someone here knows something about VR, as i know absolutely nothing. The most i know is the main companies and some headsets.

Im looking into getting a VR headset and would love some recommendations and some wisdom about this platform. I've heard that the quest 2 is amazing but from what i can see its amazing because of the price with the combination of its features, i honestly dont have an issue with spending some more money to get a better experience and i'll happily put down £900 on something like the valve index. But my problem comes down to choice, i know HTC used to be like the only option a while ago, and ever since they failed to really compete after their HTC VIVE headset and their first pro headset was quite a disappointment. But it seems like their newer headsets have just completely gone under the radar.

Would love to hear what you guys recommend :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Here’s some word from our very own @Scott that may influence your decision…

I’m sure he’d be happy to answer more in depth questions if you’re looking for more info 🙂👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The ultimate headset experience currently is the Valve Index, but it's pricey and hard to get hold of.

The second is probably the HP Reverb G2 but again it's expensive and hard to obtain.

If you're willing to sell your soul then the Oculus is certainly the best value while maintaining a decent experience. But do remember it's a Facebook company.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There's rumours about the Index 2 but nothing concrete on when it's being released. The last thing you want to do is spend big and then a new version comes out within months.

It's a tricky one. There's not really a lot on offer that has it all. The Index wins on peripheral vision, the Reverb G2 wins on clarity. The Quest 2 wins on value.

You need to be sure to have a powerful system if opting for the big hitters. I would genuinely recommend the Quest 2 as being the best value right now, especially with what's on the horizon. However, it's very much worthwhile getting the powerpack, headset and case combo pack with it. That puts the price up to around £415 but you wouldn't lose a lot on the 2nd hand market.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
I honestly love the quality of the Quest 2 as well,

At first it was all the hype about VR but after a few months, you start noticing how much you leave it to the side, so with this in mind, a price tag of what it currently is, is really a touch.

I mostly use it now a days for a session of meditation or some exercise, it still didn't replace my love for PC gaming as since I ever saw "Player 1" I always imagine that VR will be only worth it when we can fully have the haptic experience, sure there's already some vests and the quality of the Quest 2 is already really! immersive but not yet good enough to replace real world.

I would say, start with the Quest 2 and see if you can get yourself in a position of craving more of it and then upgrade, re-selling a Quest 2 is also an easy task these days or you could just give it to a family member to share their first time experiences.

RobertsE

There's rumours about the Index 2 but nothing concrete on when it's being released. The last thing you want to do is spend big and then a new version comes out within months.

It's a tricky one. There's not really a lot on offer that has it all. The Index wins on peripheral vision, the Reverb G2 wins on clarity. The Quest 2 wins on value.

You need to be sure to have a powerful system if opting for the big hitters. I would genuinely recommend the Quest 2 as being the best value right now, especially with what's on the horizon. However, it's very much worthwhile getting the powerpack, headset and case combo pack with it. That puts the price up to around £415 but you wouldn't lose a lot on the 2nd hand market.
yeah, that could be an issue. Especially with the cost of the index. But i think at this point i'd just accept my fate, Its constantly a game of "when does the next thing come out" with technology.

And I've literally just gotten an upgrade to my pc, with a 12900k and a 3080, i would be shocked if there was a vr game it couldn't run. Which is part of the reason why I don't mind spending more. If i remember correctly the quest 2 has an option to run standalone and doesn't really even require a pc, which probably would have been a large selling point if i was on my old system.

And as I've read others recommend as well + with the apparent rumours. I'll probably get the quest then, see how i like using it after a few months and then upgrade if i love the experience and still use it regularly. and then we hopefully know if there is any truth to those rumours.

Although do you recommend getting the Link cable? do you know if there's any real benefit to it?

RobertsE

The ultimate headset experience currently is the Valve Index, but it's pricey and hard to get hold of.

The second is probably the HP Reverb G2 but again it's expensive and hard to obtain.

If you're willing to sell your soul then the Oculus is certainly the best value while maintaining a decent experience. But do remember it's a Facebook company.
* its a Meta company. If it was facebook then i would truly be selling my soul, But luckily meta is a totally brand new company with absolutely no shady business behind it.

Is the index hard to get hold of? Atleast from what i can see from the store page they promise pretty quick delivery. And its been so long since i've looked at VR that i didnt even know that HP was making vr headsets

RobertsE

I honestly love the quality of the Quest 2 as well,

At first it was all the hype about VR but after a few months, you start noticing how much you leave it to the side, so with this in mind, a price tag of what it currently is, is really a touch.

I mostly use it now a days for a session of meditation or some exercise, it still didn't replace my love for PC gaming as since I ever saw "Player 1" I always imagine that VR will be only worth it when we can fully have the haptic experience, sure there's already some vests and the quality of the Quest 2 is already really! immersive but not yet good enough to replace real world.

I would say, start with the Quest 2 and see if you can get yourself in a position of craving more of it and then upgrade, re-selling a Quest 2 is also an easy task these days or you could just give it to a family member to share their first time experiences.
yeah, i can see how that becomes an issue especially when you use a device that costs £900 a few times and then never touch it again. Although i think that something like beat saber could keep me playing with VR especially if there arent any decent games being released. But i think i'll definetly take your advice and just experiance that the quest 2 offers and then see if i want to upgrade