Send in the GPU

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
I have recently bought a GTX480 and im still wondering wether or not to have a new pc built.

My question is: Is it possible to say put a spec together which includes 1 gtx 480 and then send in my current zotac gtx480 so they can go in the same machine SLI??.

Cheers.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - we can normally arrange this, subject to the specification you order being compatible. Before/on confirming your order, please contact us on 0844 499 4000 to arrange this.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

3rd Graphics Card
NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
80GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)***SPECIAL***

2nd Hard Disk
640GB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD6400AARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

RAID
NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NONE

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£100)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Floppy Disk Drive
NONE

Firewire & Video Editing
NONE

TV Card
NONE

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL

Monitor
NONE

2nd Monitor
NONE

DVI Cable
NONE

GeForce 3D Vision
NONE

Keyboard & Mouse
NONE

Mouse
NONE

Speakers
NONE

Webcam
NONE

Headsets (VOIP)
NONE

Surge Protection
NONE

Printer
NONE

External Hard Drive
NONE

Home Installation
NONE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Data Recovery
NONE

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days

Quantity

This is the build and take into mind that the 850w corsair will be powering 2 gtx480 cards if i am able to send my current one in to you.

As for the SS drive i want to use it to speed up load times on the game i will be playing, im not sure if i am correct in assuming it will speed up loading time.

Any hints or advice would be great, my twin just recieved his order from you guys 2 days ago and he is loving his new PC.

Meds

The specification looks great, however the PSU needs upgrading. I would recommend minimum of 1000W, preferably the Corsair HX1000 or the AX1200.

Gishank

Bright Spark
In my opinion, 2 GTX 480's in SLi would be more or less a waste of money given a single card can run any current game without hinderance and should do for several years to come. Perhaps you should place your order without a graphics card but with SLi compatible gear and a powerful enough PSU so you can upgrade when it becomes neccessary? As for SSD's speeding up game load times, in theory yes. But worth the extra cash on a far larger SSD? No, not really yet that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
The specification looks great, however the PSU needs upgrading. I would recommend minimum of 1000W, preferably the Corsair HX1000 or the AX1200.

So will I be able to send in my current Zotac gtx480 to be slotted into the desktop for SLI if I improve the PSU??. Any other comments??.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes, you will. Everything else looks pretty nice to me, however, are you intending to put this CPU through some sort of overclock? if not, consider downgrading the cooling solution.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, you will. Everything else looks pretty nice to me, however, are you intending to put this CPU through some sort of overclock? if not, consider downgrading the cooling solution.

I don't plan to overclock so good suggestion there, the problem with my current set-up with gtx480 installed is that the fan is not man enough to keep it cool and the card runs at 92 degrees and makes a racket, now I know fermi's are hot and loud bit not to this extreme, a friend of mine has one and it seems to run a lot quieter then mine, does the fans and the air flow have big impact on card noise and temp and because my case is smaller then averrage maybe a confined space makes matters worse??.

Thoughts??.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
Also the current motherboard seems to have a glitch as the sound on my games tends to go all scratchy after awhile and I have to restart to get it to work for abit longer and then it repeats!

Gishank

Bright Spark
Simple answer - Yes, a smaller case naturally has less airflow and isn't designed for large high-end GPU. Make sure you give your 480 a dust when you put it in your new system though. ;)

Last edited:

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
This is my new revised Desktop, its made to power 2 gtx480's in SLI and blow the water out of anything i throw at it.

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (£120)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

3rd Graphics Card
NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

2nd Hard Disk
NONE

RAID
NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NONE

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 1200W MODULAR PSU (AX1200) PRO SERIES 80+ GOLD (£206)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Floppy Disk Drive
NONE

Firewire & Video Editing
NONE

TV Card
NONE

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL

Monitor
NONE

2nd Monitor
NONE

DVI Cable
NONE

GeForce 3D Vision
NONE

Keyboard & Mouse
NONE

Mouse
NONE

Speakers
NONE

Webcam
NONE

Headsets (VOIP)
NONE

Surge Protection
NONE

Printer
NONE

External Hard Drive
NONE

Home Installation
NONE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Data Recovery
NONE

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days

Quantity

The kind guys at PCS will be able to attach my current Zotac GTX480 if i mail it to them correct? and any suggestions?.

P.S whats the delay on the Case please?.

Last edited:

Nemesis

hmmmmm if u go ahead withh the SLI 480's then everyone will be begging you to join the PCS folding team :p:p

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
1. No delay on HAF 932, only 600T and HAF 922.

2. We should be able to install your GTX480. You will need to arrange this directly with our call centre on 0844 499 4000 at the point of ordering.

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions, what I am thinking of doing is ordering the PC spec above in the next couple of days or early next week, I don't think I will send in my current gtx480, think I will wait till I have my PC and then take it to the techguys to fit at a later date....there isn't anything different in adding SLI if one card is installed already is there and do you think pc world tech guys competent enough to fit it when I get the machine??.

Sleinous

Author Level
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions, what I am thinking of doing is ordering the PC spec above in the next couple of days or early next week, I don't think I will send in my current gtx480, think I will wait till I have my PC and then take it to the techguys to fit at a later date....there isn't anything different in adding SLI if one card is installed already is there and do you think pc world tech guys competent enough to fit it when I get the machine??.

They will charge you probably, and, the process is very easy as long as you ground yourself throughout the whole thing nothing can go wrong. It's just a case of flipping up the lock on teh side of the PCIe x16 slot you want to insert the card into, clotting it in (correct way round) usually the PCB facing upwards for these cards. -Look at the little plastic tooth that's showing up in the PCIe x16 slot and just make sure that the indent on the GPU fits in. Basically, just look at the Palit card, and copy it.

Then, get the 2x PCIe power connectors (6 pin each) plug them into the blue sockets on the PSU :) Should be labelled PCI express power or something on it if its the same as my HX1000W

steve jones

Bronze Level Poster
They will charge you probably, and, the process is very easy as long as you ground yourself throughout the whole thing nothing can go wrong. It's just a case of flipping up the lock on teh side of the PCIe x16 slot you want to insert the card into, clotting it in (correct way round) usually the PCB facing upwards for these cards. -Look at the little plastic tooth that's showing up in the PCIe x16 slot and just make sure that the indent on the GPU fits in. Basically, just look at the Palit card, and copy it.

Then, get the 2x PCIe power connectors (6 pin each) plug them into the blue sockets on the PSU :) Should be labelled PCI express power or something on it if its the same as my HX1000W

I get discount with them so I don't mind paying them to fit it as long as they know what they are doing, they fit my current gtx480 in my current desktop, I was under the impression there was some special installation requirement for SLI function in bios etc, also my card has 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin connectors.