Setting up a home server (hopefully using Windows Server 2003)

MickyG

Enthusiast
Hey all

Well, I've had my new PC for a while now, all working great :D
And to use my old PC I was thinking of setting up a home network, I was basically wondering how I'd go about setting one up and what sorts of hardware/software I'd need.

When I get home I'll have a look at the spec of my old PC so I can give you all a better idea of what I have. I'm just looking at a basic file/printer sharing, but I'm looking at setting up a proper server as I'm hoping to move into a job dealing with networking and would like some practice at home.

All help/info is appreciated

G

MickyG

Enthusiast
Any idea on the cost of it? I've messed around on some virtual labs for 2003, is it similar to that?

G

misterdave

Enthusiast
Home server is cheap and chearful, I used it for a while (freebie from Microsoft during a technology day). Gives you the ability to share and backup sync files and folders and distribute stuff but its quite limiting.

But if your wanting a more advanced server you'll need S2K3/R2, R2 is better. My personal home server is running on a Q6600 8Gb 800mhx DDR2 and a Abit Fatlaity motherboard and various servers running as VM's I have a total or 3 VM's running and dont gent much in the way of slow down.

for more info on the servers and hardware Gorman is the man, I'll poke him see if he responds

misterdave

Enthusiast
Home server is around £75 (google it), I think 2k3 would have to be an ebay job as i can't see any places offering it anymore, Server packages arent that cheap either. I live off the eval copies and when they finish it's usually time to load a Linux image on.