Setting up a wired home network.

Mad_Dog_McCracken

Hi guys, the kids have now got their PCS desktops up and running and I'm in the market for a new lappy for myself. I do tend to sit in the same place when on my laptop so am now thinking of setting up a wired home network connecting all the PC's in the house to the broadband router. How easy would this be? I assume you can buy reels of ethernet cable but how easy is it for a layman to cut the able to the required lengths and connect the plugs etc?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I use things called home plugs, they basically turn your electricity ring in your house into a massive router.

I have one plug at the phone line BT fibre optic box, out of the BT box into the plug which send the signal through the mains supply to my MAN CAVE :) where i have the wireless broadband router, and then i prefer wired so i have a wired coming out of the router to my PC and Laptop.

you can buy additional plugs for different rooms too, its a pretty cool method in my opinion. I have a house with thick walls so wifi ain't really an option.

If you google "home plugs" you should get examples and shopping options.

Hope this helps

Mike

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I also think home-plugs are your best option. You really won't want to be running Ethernet cable all over the place, you'll need a crimp tool to fit the sockets too (and that's fiddly if you're not used to it). And I can pretty much guarantee that once it's installed somebody will want a socket moved......

Mad_Dog_McCracken

Massive rep to you guys (especially Mike). Just googled Homeplugs and they sound like exactly what I need. I was a bit concerned about the amount of ethernet cable I would need as I live in a 3 storey house and my Man Cave is on the top floor. Bit of a noob question but I assume with a wired connection I will get much better connection speed than with wifi?

LFFPicard

Godlike
Wired is much better speed wise and reliability.

If you got BT Infinity you get a pair of homeplugs free, if not they are not massivly expensive and much more reliable than wireless. I have everything with a Ethernet port wired up. Simple things like the PS3, the wireless adapter is a bit naff and slow so downloading games from PSN is loooong, plug a Ethernet in there and it is done in no time.

Also on the topic of Ethernet cables, if you go to a computer shop, preferably an independent one they will usually be more than happy to crimp the cable to the correct size for you. The tool it's self is about £15 and then you have to make sure all the cables are in the right slots when you crimp it. An independent computer store or even a electrical store like TLC will most likely be more than happy to crimp the cables for a few extra squid.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In order of preference for speed, reliability, and lack of interference your choices would be:

1. Wired Ethernet cable
2. Home plugs
3. Wireless

But in order of preference for cost and ease of installation your choices would be:

1. Wireless
2. Home plugs
3. Wired Ethernet cable

So by choosing the middle ground above you can see that Home Plugs give you the best balance between performance and cost/ease of installation. Plus, you can take them with you if you move!