Setting up Internet

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,
I'm expecting my new AIO in the next few days :D and I'm currently getting backups of all the info and data I need from my existing HP Pavilion Desktop running Win XP(which will become defunct once I set up the new PC, running Win 7).

I'm just a little confused about what I'll need to do when I switch the AIO on for the first time and go about setting up my connection to my ISP (Plusnet).

Will I need to make a note of the POP3 settings (incoming, outgoing etc) and configure these up manually? or, as someone has told me, these will automatically be set up when I plug my Router (Netgear DG834G) into the ethernet socket? Or will I have to load the Router's CD etc and follow the instructions?

Secondly, once it is set up, with the Router connected via ehthernet etc, will my daughter's laptops need to be provided with a new WEP key, or would this stay the same as it has been with the HP Desktop?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but they're the only bits I'm unsure of.

Thanks

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Hello,

So if I get you right you're asking if you need to configure your internet connection manually when you first plug in your AIO?

No you don't you can plug in any PC with an ethernet cable and it will have access to the internet. The router CD is used to set up the router when you first install it, that's it.

Regarding the WEP key, that's to access the Wifi. Plugging a PC via ethernet won't change your wifi settings, the WEP key will be the same. Any PC trying to connect to your wifi will have to enter the WEP key for security.

Oh and btw POP3 is a protocol used by email clients to retrieve your mail, it's a bit different to connecting a PC to the internet :)

Last edited:

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
Hello,

So if I get you right you're asking if you need to configure your internet connection manually when you first plug in your AIO?

No you don't you can plug in any PC with an ethernet cable and it will have access to the internet. The router CD is used to set up the router when you first install it, that's it.

Regarding the WEP key, that's to access the Wifi. Plugging a PC via ethernet won't change your wifi settings, the WEP key will be the same. Any PC trying to connect to your wifi will have to enter the WEP key for security.

Oh and btw POP3 is a protocol used by email clients to retrieve your mail, it's a bit different to connecting a PC to the internet :)

Thanks Wolvo . . . . . so effectively, I switch the new AOI on, make sure the basics are ok, then load my Netgear CD and follow the instructions (which presumably will ask me for Plusnets IP adress etc?).

Sorry about the POP3 . . . I realised after that it was email related . . . . I'm planning to export my old Outlook email to Outlook Express then copy the DBX files on to an external drive and then hopefully import into Windows Live Mail.

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Well if your router is already set up you don't need to, it already connects automatically to your ISP and connects you to the internet. It's like if you bring your laptop to the library and plug it to one of their ethernet cables, you'll have access to the internet automatically.

You use the router CD to set up your router the first time ie when you order broadband and receive the router in the post, or if you want to troubleshoot internet connection problems that are not related to your PC. Then you put the CD in a drawer and forget about it pretty much, that's what I do :)

Last edited:

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
Well if your router is already set up you don't need to, it already connects automatically to your ISP and connects you to the internet. It's like if you bring your laptop to the library and plug it to one of their ethernet cables, you'll have access to the internet automatically.

So all I do is just unplug the router from my HP Desktop and plug it into the new AOI?? Which means the settings are already stored in the Router (not as I thought, on the hard drive)!
I feel so dumb!!!

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
Well yes pretty much a router usually has more than one ethernet ports so if you have 2 cables you can connect both your HP and the AOI at the same time.

It's like when my parents come and visit they just plug their laptop to one of my extra ethernet cables and they can connect to the internet.

If you want to see the settings of your router just type 192.168.1.254 in your address bar in your internet browser. You'll then be able to see info like your ip address, the PCs connected to the router etc.. It's explained here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml

roghun

Bronze Level Poster
Well yes pretty much a router usually has more than one ethernet ports so if you have 2 cables you can connect both your HP and the AOI at the same time.

It's like when my parents come and visit they just plug their laptop to one of my extra ethernet cables and they can connect to the internet.

If you want to see the settings of your router just type 192.168.1.254 in your address bar in your internet browser. You'll then be able to see info like your ip address, the PCs connected to the router etc.. It's explained here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml

Thanks Wolvo . . . you've put my mind at rest :yes:

roghun

Bronze Level Poster

Thanks Wolvo . . . . you've put my mind at rest :yes: