Shogun 2 Total War - Epic Fail?

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys i was wondering if anyone else has got the game and feels that the game is not running "smoothly" the game it self is ok but thier are so many crashes "i just bought my pc and i have a gtx 580, 16gig ram!" It still crashes after everytime i hit the end turn button. its not the pc beause every other game runs fine...Am i only the one a bit anooyed paying for the game?

Last edited:

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
Well, I have gtx460 and 8gb ram, no turn crashes so far, freezes up when exiting the whole game sometimes but that's about it. I am generally disappointed with it though, thought the ninja cut scenes etc would be full screen and stuff, still a decent game but doesnt seem to have improved as much as I expected from the original Shogun considering how long ago that was and moving view over the campaign map is way too clunky/awkward (perhaps there are some settings I haven't found yet though). Oh and the Mutliplayer Avatar Campaign is not quite as good as the hype, I tried one battle, lost but it still gives control of the province you fought in just less experience points, meh.
Having said all that I'll probably be playing it again this evening so its not all bad, but if anyone else is considering getting it wait till it drops in price and maybe has more bugs ironed out.
Oh and Ansab001, dunno why yours might be crashing when mine isn't, only thing I'd suggest is turning view computer turn moves on or off depending on what you've currently got set, I've got Computer Moves enabled, maybe that's the difference or changing could help.

Last edited:

Gishank

Bright Spark
I run it on the specs below (in my sig), it works perfectly fine on the highest settings. In fact it is highly optimised as far as I can tell, Shogun 2 is actually the best Total War game to date since the original Shogun.

Evil Tactician

Gold Level Poster
Mixed feelings here. In terms of combat, skill trees, mechanics definitely the best Total War so far. But the engine is incredibly poorly optimised. Even the campaign map runs rather sluggish - but as soon as the battle engine is fired up you can hear the graphics card spinning up to the max. It's very playable with FPS of 55+ on Ultra, but the AA and higher shader models are still greyed out.

Had a couple of crashes, mainly in Naval engagements (such as the naval tutorial) and nothing beyond that. The game seems relatively bug free when compared to other releases Creative Assembly have done, but there are still a few.

Tom DWC

It's very playable with FPS of 55+ on Ultra, but the AA and higher shader models are still greyed out.

Really? That's a bit of a shame, I assumed they'd just decided to disable them for the demo.

Guessing they'll release a patch to enable these features? Even so, leaves it feeling a bit unfinished on release. Unfortunate for a game that has obviously had so much time and effort go into many other areas.

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
It doesnt have dx11 enabled yet, they are still working on it for a patch in a few weeks apparently, hopefully that'll improve the map scroll sluggishness too for dx11 capable cards.

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
Hi yes that map scrolling is a pain having to use the keyboard not good. Have played all total war games apart from grouping armies prefer the mouse

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Damn....shame about this. The demo played brilliantly for me without a hiccup; was assuming the real game would be the same. I guess the demos battles werent exactly the most epic; and did notice that there were a couple of options greyed out on the graphical side. Well and truly enjoyed the demo though. Simply have too many other games that require this much time for this one to be given the attention it rightly deserves, at least for now.

Post back if the issues improve with a patch. How was the Steam downloading? People have said on Amazon that there is a mighty download to perform, even if bought on DVD, but to be fair there was for the demo anyway lol; was worth it for me.

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
USEFUL STEAM TIP! Yeah, I haven't used Steam for ages, I probably forgot this handy trick that I had to rediscover.
I bought Shogun 2 on disk as it was 5 quid cheaper and it'd save waiting ages for the download, however if you try and install it from the discs, Steam takes over and has to download the whole game, I was like WTF I dont wanna wait 5 hours for this malarky, so I canceled the download and searched how to make it use the discs and finally found this...

"Here is how to force a manual install from the disc:

Right click on the entry for your game in your Steam games list, and select "delete local content." This will uninstall any partial files that already exist.

Go to the menu at the top of your Steam and choose:
Steam --> Backup and restore games --> Restore a previous backup --> Browse

From the drop down menu there, go to the drive letter of your disc drive instead of the back up folder it starts with. Once you do that it might show you some of the subfolders inside the disc, but that's fine. You should just click on the main disc drive letter. Click Next and it should install your game."

Anyway I was pleased that this worked, saved me having to download the damn thing, Steam just took over at the end to update with patches, took about 30mins instead of 5hours!

Evil Tactician

Gold Level Poster
Guessing they'll release a patch to enable these features? Even so, leaves it feeling a bit unfinished on release. Unfortunate for a game that has obviously had so much time and effort go into many other areas.

Yes, DX11 will be patched in (I haven't checked on the status and didn't have time to play Shogun 2 this weekend - but will check again tonight)

I suspect the performance will somewhat increase, but Empire: Total War was horrendous on the campaign map as well - even with high-end machines, so I don't have too much hope on that one.

Shogun 2 is a good game, I would go as far as to say the best Total War so far, but the units are a little uninspiring and the game gets incredibly repetitive very quickly. I'm told the multiplayer is excellent so I'll give that a shot next.

Post back if the issues improve with a patch. How was the Steam downloading? People have said on Amazon that there is a mighty download to perform, even if bought on DVD, but to be fair there was for the demo anyway lol; was worth it for me.

For me the Steam download is fine, but I generally get about 6,5 mb/sec from Steam, so it's usually quicker than installing from DVD.