Should have posted here first, thank you

ChrAyl

Hi all,

Only a quick note to say hello formally, I've already asked a question on here and I'm immensely impressed at the helpfulness of the users.

A little about me, I've done various jobs, laying patios, carpet fitting, motorcycle courier, but mostly Architectural design which I've done now for over 20 years. I've been self-employed for the last 10 years, after quite a severe road accident that took around 3 years to recover from, I figured walking into interviews on crutches wouldn't go down well! So that's me, designing houses, extensions, ride a motorbike. Sometimes nice to know these things, makes people more than just characters on a screen!

I do wish to thank the following members:

@Stephen M @Daniel Super @keithbeaks and especially @SpyderTracks

Some speak of a community feel on various types of online forums, but really it's down to fortune that a select few places on the internet, attract helpful individuals. This is most certainly one of them.

Nice one 👏👏👏👏

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all,

Only a quick note to say hello formally, I've already asked a question on here and I'm immensely impressed at the helpfulness of the users.

A little about me, I've done various jobs, laying patios, carpet fitting, motorcycle courier, but mostly Architectural design which I've done now for over 20 years. I've been self-employed for the last 10 years, after quite a severe road accident that took around 3 years to recover from, I figured walking into interviews on crutches wouldn't go down well! So that's me, designing houses, extensions, ride a motorbike. Sometimes nice to know these things, makes people more than just characters on a screen!

I do wish to thank the following members:

@Stephen M @Daniel Super @keithbeaks and especially @SpyderTracks

Some speak of a community feel on various types of online forums, but really it's down to fortune that a select few places on the internet, attract helpful individuals. This is most certainly one of them.

Nice one 👏👏👏👏
Welcome!

How are you doing now after the accident? Sounds pretty nasty.

I'm actually looking to buy my first house in a few years (just saving for the deposit), am currently looking at a pre fab design. My dream would be to have it designed from scratch, but not sure my budget would reach that far. My dream is to buy a plot of land somewhere quite remote and aside from water, be off grid where possible.

Design fascinates me. Especially with modern materials and green efficiencies. It's a shame the UK government doesn't do more to enforce the larger developers to implement some of these incredible technologies into modern builds.

ChrAyl

Welcome!

How are you doing now after the accident? Sounds pretty nasty.

I'm actually looking to buy my first house in a few years (just saving for the deposit), am currently looking at a pre fab design. My dream would be to have it designed from scratch, but not sure my budget would reach that far. My dream is to buy a plot of land somewhere quite remote and aside from water, be off grid where possible.

Design fascinates me. Especially with modern materials and green efficiencies. It's a shame the UK government doesn't do more to enforce the larger developers to implement some of these incredible technologies into modern builds.
Thank you!

Fortunately enough time has passed, I get a few aches and pains, but that's mainly from the metal I believe (down one leg, back and front of pelvis). Ironically I ache more if I don't move around!

Very best of luck with the new house, I certainly commend you on saving for a deposit (that's the worst bit, almost). Many people want what you want, so do be prepared for competition if you go down that route - there are ways to increase your chances of course.

If you have the intention to design your own house from scratch, I would recommend having an understanding of 'what you would want there' within the building. I invite clients to invest in current methods, however they do come at a significant price and don't necessarily see a return during the purchasers lifetime. Some modern materials/methods are apt in specific situations, but even though SIP's have been around for a good long while, there's still concerns or restrictions with using it.

I'm in full agreement with you, when time permits, I would encourage the government to consider a law requiring houses of £5m+ adopt environmentally friendly methods of heating/cooling. The upfront cost would be negligible to those property types, the intention would be every 3-years the valuation cap would lower, to say £3m, then £2m and so on. For larger proposed developments, it's down to keeping the tender value as low as possible, and renewable's don't assist that. It would be nice if tenders included the principle cost of construction, but have a fixed price for renewable 'extras'. I hope one day to see affordable blocks of flats to have internal hydro water storage and more solar panels than the sun can shake a stick at.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrAyl

Meant to attach a 'house I designed earlier', well in May I think.

Attachments

• CCF_000053.jpg
    CCF_000053.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 182

ChrAyl

Oof not enough RGB! ;)

Joking aside it looks good! Is that a balcony I spy?
:p Knew I'd forgotten something!

It is indeed a balcony, something the client requested - and what the client wants, they get (within reason!).