Should I be a bit apprehensive?

nbd2

Hey all,
I ordered a laptop about a week ago, and as of today, it's in its 7th working day of pre-production. I know the lead times say that pre-production is often the longest stage, but it also said it typically takes less than a week. I'm not using this thread to have a go at PCS, because so far, they've been extremely helpful. I've used their live help twice now, and they even sent me an email the other day to apologise for the delay (although I suspect this could have been auto-generated ;) ). In anycase, I'm a bit anxious, as I recently had a nightmare experience with Kobalt, and I'm starting to worry just a little because of that. So I'm just wondering, for those of you that have used PCS in the past, is this all normal? Are my worries nothing to worry about?
Again, I'd just like to reiterate that I'm not having a go at PCS, just a little concerned, thats all. :)
Neil

nbd2

no the order seemed pretty standard. I didn't go for anything particularly fancy. Probably the only remotely special part was 16Gb of ram, but other than that, nothing too exotic.

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
Times are there as a guide. Could be more, could be less. Suppose it's down to stock. But if PCS have just got stock in then they are busy building your PC and everyone else's. It will be here soon and worth the wait :)

nbd2

ok cool. If there's no movement by tomorrow, I might give them a shout. That puts my mind at ease that I'm not the only one, and that those of you who've dealt with PCS before have calmed things. Cheers folks. :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hang in there nbd...we get a lot of disaffected Kobalt/Mesh/Aliendell customers on here :D Remember that even if it goes over the average estimated lead time, it might only be a handful of days more with the 'puter...which you'll forget all about by the end of the week you receive it :D

nbd2

Yeah I guess I was one of the lucky ones with Kobalt. On the day the notice went up on their site about their ceasing of trading, I got incontact with my credit card company, and they managed to get my money back within 5 days. Not only that but their customer service was absolutely astonishingly good. I don't want to make it sound like I'm complaining about PCS, because I really have nothing to complain about. They were very helpful with live support, were decent enough to send a generated email regarding the delay, and people in the forums seem generally less angry (by comparison to the Kobalt ones anyway!). My concerns came from the awful experience with Kobalt. Waiting for 6 weeks, and being told excuse after excuse will make you apprehensive about buying from somewhere else. Understandable, right?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We're sorry about any delays, we are very busy at present and a few components such as matte screens and the Thailand HDD crisis have slowed us down a bit. We're working to dispatch all orders as quickly as possible. :)

nbd2

uhm.... mine has neither of those... In anycase, I feel a bit more at ease from what the others have told. I'm sure you guys got a good few orders recently from people reeling from Kobalts recent closure, so I'll remain optimistic, and continue to get together all the various files and software I'll be needing for my new machine. Cant wait to benchmark my old machine vs the new one! ;)

Kushan

uhm.... mine has neither of those... In anycase, I feel a bit more at ease from what the others have told. I'm sure you guys got a good few orders recently from people reeling from Kobalts recent closure, so I'll remain optimistic, and continue to get together all the various files and software I'll be needing for my new machine. Cant wait to benchmark my old machine vs the new one! ;)

If it makes you feel any better, I'm on my 15th WORKING day of preproduction.

nbd2

After two very long and tiring days in college, I woke this morning to find an email in my inbox saying that my laptop is "Awaiting Dispatch." In terms of great timing PCS, that's going to be damn tough to beat! That's certainly made my day, and considering that my thesis is gonna need me to do pretty much non-stop 3d modelling till christmas, starting next week, not a moment too soon. Not sure if you had planned the timing to be that ace, but kudos, it made me smile! :)

Iceash

Bronze Level Poster
Nice one nbd2, mine is still at the 8th working day pre-production, just itching to get now, only real problem i'm going to have is what to play first will have bf3 coming with the machine, i have skyrim and totalwar shogun2 waiting to try out and should have patch 1.6 on rift to play with soon as well, i'm going to be a busy little gamer when it comes :)

nbd2

See, I havent bought a PC game in ages. I just haven't had the time! Is that anniversary HD version of halo out yet? I'd get that...

AshleyUK

Bronze Level Poster
Well I can't complain from ordering to dispacthed mine took 2 days, was a quite high end spec laptop with everything I could order, apart from I kept a Glossy screen, so maybe that helped.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Well I can't complain from ordering to dispacthed mine took 2 days, was a quite high end spec laptop with everything I could order, apart from I kept a Glossy screen, so maybe that helped.

=[ im still waiting for mine got the glossy as i new matte would delay it oh well guess I have to wait been 1 week already thou.