Should I ditch the second drive?

So attatched are the spec I've designed so far. I'm planning on doing a lot of gaming on this laptop but I need the smaller size and weight so can't really go for the 15 inch plus monitors (I know some of the larger ones have better options and so do desktops but they're not suitable for me to transport so please don't suggest switching to them). The main question is if it's worth going for 2 drives or just sticking with the single one. Currently I'm considering RAID 0, but maybe I'm better off with switching to a smaller drive for the OS and a larger one for the games. The other option is just having the single drive which is what I've done before, but the only advantage of that I can see is the lower cost point and slightly lower chances of failure, neither of which are really an issue for me. Thoughts?

Chassis & Display
Fusion Series: 14" Matte Full HD 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-8565U (1.80GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Total War: Three Kingdoms & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
AC Adaptor
1 x 65W AC Adaptor
Battery
Fusion Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9560 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
FUSION SERIES SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
TongFang PF4WN2F (2GB MX250, i7-8565U, GB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days
Price: £1,039.00 including VAT and Delivery

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm planning on doing a lot of gaming on this laptop

Define a lot of gaming? The MX250 isn't a gaming GPU and will be incapable of running many titles from the last few years at 1080p.

Unless you have some very specific, niche gaming requirements (one or two specific games you play a lot, that have very low requirements, and that's what you mean by a lot of gaming) don't buy this laptop because it will not do what you want it to. i.e. run games.

What you seem to be asking for is an ultrathin ultralight (1kg) laptop capable of doing a lot of gaming. I'm not sure if such things actually exist, let alone for £1000 with 1TB high end NVMe storage.

so please don't suggest switching to them
If you've explored alternatives including chassis that are only 2kg, then your only option is to not buy a laptop I'm afraid.

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
... also forget RAID0 it is a terrible idea no matter the circumstances. Could you not do with 256GB for system drive and 1TB for data? Or simply go with 1TB single drive... and if in future want another drive just add it later on.
As already been said you will not really game on a MX250 :(

The MX250 isn't a gaming GPU
At 14 inches my only other option is intel, which the MX250 is going to be better than at any rate. Plus the only other gaming laptop at this size is the Razer Blade Stealth which actually uses only the MX150 but costs £1499 for less storage and RAM. I did already explain larger laptops and desktops aren't appropriate and that I didn't want advice saying this because I'm aware it's not perfect but I can't really change the size/weight requirements so it is what it is. I really just need to make the best of what I can get. Thanks for confirming what I already knew though.

Could you not do with 256GB for system drive and 1TB for data?
Yeah that was my other consideration, I'll probably go with that then. Thanks for the advice.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
At 14 inches my only other option is intel, which the MX250 is going to be better than at any rate. Plus the only other gaming laptop at this size is the Razer Blade Stealth which actually uses only the MX150 but costs £1499 for less storage and RAM. I did already explain larger laptops and desktops aren't appropriate and that I didn't want advice saying this because I'm aware it's not perfect but I can't really change the size/weight requirements so it is what it is. I really just need to make the best of what I can get. Thanks for confirming what I already knew though.

Yeah that was my other consideration, I'll probably go with that then. Thanks for the advice.
The Blade Stealth is not a gaming laptop per se, it’s designed to be low profile for portability, then when you’re at your desk you attach an egpu to game. By itself, it wouldn’t be able to game same as this option.

The Blade Stealth is not a gaming laptop per se, it’s designed to be low profile for portability, then when you’re at your desk you attach an egpu to game. By itself, it wouldn’t be able to game same as this option.

It's not a good gaming laptop without it true, but it does call itself a gaming laptop by itself if you look at razer's website. Multiple times in fact but that's by the by, it's expensive for what it offers and you're paying more for the brand than the hardware, I don't plan on getting one.

Could an egpu work with a build of this laptop as well? Because that could certainly be an option. I've not really looked into them much but that might be able to fix my dilemma.

What games are you expecting to run on this and at what settings?

Mostly just pc exclusives from steam, I'm not expecting it to run high graphics stuff like DMC 5 or anything. If a small laptop could that would be amazing, but I know it won't be able to due to the size. I'd switch if I could but alas I'm stuck with the requirements I have. Some online multiplayer games as well for the ones that don't have cross device compatibility. Larger graphics demand games I'll have to stick to playing on console.

Sorry forget settings. I'm guessing I'll have to compromise to 720p, but it's better than not being able to play games at all which is my current laptop situation.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Mostly just pc exclusives from steam, I'm not expecting it to run high graphics stuff like DMC 5 or anything. If a small laptop could that would be amazing, but I know it won't be able to due to the size. I'd switch if I could but alas I'm stuck with the requirements I have. Some online multiplayer games as well for the ones that don't have cross device compatibility. Larger graphics demand games I'll have to stick to playing on console.
Can you name some, it’s impossible to tell the requirements without knowing.

Can you name some, it’s impossible to tell the requirements without knowing.

Not necessarily games I'm specifically planning on getting (some of these I've had access to previously) but I guess here's an idea of the sort of thing I'm expecting to be able to run:

Stardew valley, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Limbo

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not necessarily games I'm specifically planning on getting (some of these I've had access to previously) but I guess here's an idea of the sort of thing I'm expecting to be able to run:

Stardew valley, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Limbo
So even though their smaller games, you’d still need a gaming card. But something like the 1050ti would be ample.

Really you need to decide what you want.

There is no gaming ultrabook which is what your essentially asking for. The closest thing would be the stealth with an egpu, but that’s gonna cost you.