Should I get the Vortex or the Proteus?

DrozenB

Hi, so I noticed there is a difference in pricing when it comes to the RTX 2070 of these models:

Chassis & Display
Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x Proteus Series 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Proteus VII Series Lithium Ion Battery, 47WH
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language
PROTEUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 720P 30 FPS HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
Quanta NLCA FHD IPS 144Hz (6GB RTX-2060, 9750H, 144Hz, GB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Price: £1,206.00 including VAT and Delivery
(£1,371.00 with RTX 2070) (165£ difference)

Chassis & Display

Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Vortex IX Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + Sound BlasterX® Pro-Gaming 360°
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
Clevo PB50RD (6GB RTX-2060, i7-9750H, 144Hz, G-Sync, Thunderbolt)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Price: £1,216.00 including VAT and Delivery
(£1,493.00 with RTX 2070) (277£ difference)

I'm planning on getting one of these systems, but it seems the Vortex is rather expensive even though the parts are the same as the Proteus. I'm planning on buying an extra monitor (1440p 144Hz) so I think the RTX 2070 is necessary and since I'm getting another monitor I don't really need G-Sync in the laptop panel. What got me confused is the difference in pricing, why is the Vortex's 2070 gpu more expensive? Does it perform better?

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Vortex has gsync, and it also has thunderbolt. Since you don't need/want gsync on the screen, you could probably go with the Proteus.

You'll want the RTX 2070 I think, for 1440p, especially given laptop GPUs not being as powerful as their desktop namesakes.

The CPUs and GPUs come with the motherboard for the laptop - so the price difference is for the overall package. Why there should be that price difference I can't say, we'd have to ask Clevo I suppose, but it is what it is.

How frequently are you taking the laptop out and about? Are you going to be gaming on it so infrequently that the gsync screen isn't an issue? In which case are you sure it's worth the disadvantages of a gaming laptop vs a desktop.

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
Hiya i have the Proteus VII i have noticed no issues with it i can recommend it :) very simular to the build you have described only with a 2070 graphics card and a 2TB and 1TB HDDs

DrozenB

Vortex has gsync, and it also has thunderbolt. Since you don't need/want gsync on the screen, you could probably go with the Proteus.

You'll want the RTX 2070 I think, for 1440p, especially given laptop GPUs not being as powerful as their desktop namesakes.

The CPUs and GPUs come with the motherboard for the laptop - so the price difference is for the overall package. Why there should be that price difference I can't say, we'd have to ask Clevo I suppose, but it is what it is.

How frequently are you taking the laptop out and about? Are you going to be gaming on it so infrequently that the gsync screen isn't an issue? In which case are you sure it's worth the disadvantages of a gaming laptop vs a desktop.

I travel a lot and for long hours, also need the laptop with me during lectures. The original plan was a pc, but I have no space here and also I will move to a different place in a few months so transporting everything would be a hassle. I'm going to game on the laptop but will also buy a 1440p monitor with gsync in the future, so I guess the Vortex is not worth it because of the monitor and its high price. Thanks for the help once again!

D

Deleted member 94250

I travel a lot and for long hours, also need the laptop with me during lectures. The original plan was a pc, but I have no space here and also I will move to a different place in a few months so transporting everything would be a hassle. I'm going to game on the laptop but will also buy a 1440p monitor with gsync in the future, so I guess the Vortex is not worth it because of the monitor and its high price. Thanks for the help once again!
how on earth will you get around in uni with a gaming laptop? I'm barely able to do it with mine (grabbed an optimus X as i didnt care about gaming, only coursework)!

-=SS=-

The new Vyper II is ridiculously light as it's all magnesium alloy. It doesn't make this obvious on the sales page but the barebones chasis selling point is it's one of the lightest on the market.

More expensive but could be better for portability?

DrozenB

how on earth will you get around in uni with a gaming laptop? I'm barely able to do it with mine (grabbed an optimus X as i didnt care about gaming, only coursework)!
I don't carry text books with me, only a lab coat and the laptop. I have all my books in the internet so my bag isn't really heavy, I can manage carrying the laptop around just fine, I don't even think they are that heavy anyways. I'm getting the Proteus, which is the lighter one and a 15'6 screen, so not that heavy right?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The proteus is not much lighter than the Vortex - like 100 grams.

Proteus
Dimensions (w x d x h)361 x 246 x 19.9mm (24.4mm for RTX 2070 version)
Weight2.4kg

Vortex
Dimensions (w x d x h)359mm x 258mm x 29.9mm
Weight2.5KG

The Vyper is the light one:
Dimensions (w x d x h)355.5mm x 236.7mm x 19.7mm
Weight1.6kg

That said if 2.5-ish kg is not much to you then it makes little odds I guess.

D

Deleted member 94250

I don't carry text books with me, only a lab coat and the laptop. I have all my books in the internet so my bag isn't really heavy, I can manage carrying the laptop around just fine, I don't even think they are that heavy anyways. I'm getting the Proteus, which is the lighter one and a 15'6 screen, so not that heavy right?
see Oussebon's post. I only know the weight of the Optimus X, its the one I got. = 2.2kg

What course do you do, such that you don't need notebooks?

DrozenB

see Oussebon's post. I only know the weight of the Optimus X, its the one I got. = 2.2kg

What course do you do, such that you don't need notebooks?
I do genetics. I take notes with the laptop aswell, it isn't the best way to memorize the content but I honestly can't write notes fast enough by hand because of the massive ammount of content. The only thing I can't have digitally is my lab coat and a pencil case, also some lab manuals that are a few pages long and not heavy at all.

D

Deleted member 94250

I do genetics. I take notes with the laptop aswell, it isn't the best way to memorize the content but I honestly can't write notes fast enough by hand because of the massive ammount of content. The only thing I can't have digitally is my lab coat and a pencil case, also some lab manuals that are a few pages long and not heavy at all.
Fair enough. Just a tip, once you get home make handwritten notes of your soft copy from the lecture, especially if writing is important for you to memorize.

I'm doing engineering, and the stupidly resource intensive software was the sole reason I bought my laptop.

DrozenB

Fair enough. Just a tip, once you get home make handwritten notes of your soft copy from the lecture, especially if writing is important for you to memorize.

I'm doing engineering, and the stupidly resource intensive software was the sole reason I bought my laptop.
Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind. Genetics is wonderful but also filled with statistics which is one of the reasons for my purchase as well! Good luck with your course!

D

Deleted member 94250

Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind. Genetics is wonderful but also filled with statistics which is one of the reasons for my purchase as well! Good luck with your course!
You're welcome. Good luck to you too!

Arney11

The new Vyper II is ridiculously light as it's all magnesium alloy. It doesn't make this obvious on the sales page but the barebones chasis selling point is it's one of the lightest on the market.

More expensive but could be better for portability?
Do you know if it gets very hot and if the fan noise is loud?

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
I dont find the Proteus heavy at all, the fans can be a little loud when gaming but only a little louder than my last laptop. I use a laptop fan underneath so i cant say whether it gets hotter than a normal laptop but i dont find it hot at all when gaming.. i know those questions where aimed at the Vyper II but i answered them for the Proteus too.

DrozenB

You got the Proteus or the Vortex?
Proteus, still waiting for it to arrive. I wanted 1440p and the vortex doesn't support that, so I'm getting a monitor. That means G-Sync on the laptop panel is not really that necessary and I really liked the design of the Proteus, it is also a little bit lighter and cheaper too.