Should I just use windows defender

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
I have bullgaurd Right now but it uses so much cpu sometimes should I just delete it and use windows defender or what should I do?

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
All im really doing is gaming I don’t really visit random website and stuff should I just be fine to just use windows defender or would you still suggest downloading the thing you said

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
Is there any other premium antivirus software that doesn’t take up to much cpu or only windows defender or any other options
Tbh if I’m just gaming like through steam and the epic launcher will windows defender be enough I’m not really gonna be web surfing much

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Apologies for jumping onto the thread - is uninstalling Bullguard just like any other program (mines up for renewal tomorrow and I won't be)

or are there any particular steps that need to be taken ?

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
Apologies for jumping onto the thread - is uninstalling Bullguard just like any other program (mines up for renewal tomorrow and I won't be)

or are there any particular steps that need to be taken ?
Just uninstall through command panel

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Bullguard isnt great, thankfully this is a family forum so my potty mouth has to behave. At best it's :poop: , Windows defender is completely fine and as you've already been told, Malwarebytes is fine to install. It's a shame that PCS add Bullguard by default, as it seems to cause more harm than good tbh

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It’s just weird I haven’t been a pc guy in awhile I just remember back in the day windows was soo bad at protecting your pc
Windows only got AV with Windows Vista. It's come an awful long way since then, I've been using it along with manual scans with Malwarebytes (which is the industry standard malware scanner) for about 7 years now and never had an issue. I do a manual scan with malwarebytes if I'm at all unsure about something I've downloaded or a site I've visited, but other than that only scan once every couple of months. Just adds another layer of protection.

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
Windows only got AV with Windows Vista. It's come an awful long way since then, I've been using it along with manual scans with Malwarebytes (which is the industry standard malware scanner) for about 7 years now and never had an issue. I do a manual scan with malwarebytes if I'm at all unsure about something I've downloaded or a site I've visited, but other than that only scan once every couple of months. Just adds another layer of protection.
Have you got a real link to the download for it ?

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
it says in the free version of malwarebytes you dont have malware protection isnt the point of you telling me to use that that it has malware protection right im confused

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
That would be active continuous malware protection....basically scans every single site when you visit etc. The malware protection on the free one is from doing regular scans (weekly is most useful)...it will scan for malware, spyware etc on your system

Like Spyder, I have just been using Windows Defender along with periodic Malwarebytes scans (usually when I remember) for getting on for 10 years maybe and in all that time I have only ever gotten one virus and that was my own fault....and I spend a lot of time traversing websites, including some that are problematic shall we say (frequently try to install rubbish on my system but Defender picks it up)

Over the past 20 years or so, I have had a multitude of anti-virus programs on my various systems from Norton to Avast to lots of free ones....and Windows Defender has been the best one to date
is the only way to get viruses and malware to click on the link/websites because im not really on the web that much i just mainly play games on steam and stuff i should be fairly safe from getting anything right?

BartSoul

Bronze Level Poster
what if a virus/malware gets through tho whats malwarebyte gonna do if its allready on the system

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
what if a virus/malware gets through tho whats malwarebyte gonna do if its allready on the system
Nothing, it's about prevention, once a virus is installed, there's nothing any AV can do, you have to do a reinstall of windows, they're simply about prevention.