Should i overclock and how?

phillybrennan

I recently purchased my pc and i was wondering if i dhould overclock it to get the max out of it but i do not know how to overclock.

My specs are........

RAM 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)

Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T (2.80GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3/)

Motherboard ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5770 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Power Supply & Case Cooling 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sleinous

Author Level
If you overclock you will void your warranty on the CPU, just something you need to take into consideration.

Gorman

Author Level
Overclocking voids your warranty, thats consideration 1.

Overclocking is hard to do right, its a real skill which requires in depth knowledge of the processes and components you are tweaking. It takes a lot of research and even more trial and error, unfortunately the error part of it can result in fried components.

If you want to overclock at all you will need a better CPU cooler.

As a reasonably modern CPU you shouldnt have to overclock your CPU at all, but a good starting point is overclock.net, not least for all the cautionary horror stories.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
If you overclock you will void your warranty on the CPU, just something you need to take into consideration.

Hey you've got a PCS picture :D !
And yeah I wouldn't reccommend overclocking unless you do some solid research about it first.

JSG10

Expert
I think you answered your own question in the first place. "Should I overclock and how?" NO. Is the answer.
You've got a fairly potent 6 core processor there, what could you possibly be running that would require you to overclock it?

PS: Love the new avatar Sleinous :) Noticed it earlier but didn't comment :(

Sleinous

Author Level
I think you answered your own question in the first place. "Should I overclock and how?" NO. Is the answer.
You've got a fairly potent 6 core processor there, what could you possibly be running that would require you to overclock it?

PS: Love the new avatar Sleinous :) Noticed it earlier but didn't comment :(

Speakin' of which, where is YOUR avatar? Dun dun dun!!!

JSG10

Expert
Ahh busted. I am avatarless :( Feel free to make me one :p lol and one of those cool sigs with all the company logos in too hehe :D

Gishank

Bright Spark
The general idea is, if you don't need to overclock - then don't. As you won't see a performence benefit, if you still intend to overclock and get yourself an aftermarket cooler then you should give it a good couple of months to make sure that the processor is stable in entirety. ;D