Should power supply sound like this?

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I was wondering if my power supply should be making this noise when I’ve shut the computer down? It never goes silent. It’s not audible unless I go closer to the computer but I didn’t know if this should be happened when computer isn’t on

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was wondering if my power supply should be making this noise when I’ve shut the computer down? It never goes silent. It’s not audible unless I go closer to the computer but I didn’t know if this should be happened when computer isn’t on
I can't make anything out at all. What kind of noise are you hearing?

Is the computer definitely off and not in sleep mode? How do you shut down the computer?

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
@SpyderTracks With my headset on, the one noise I can hear sounds to me like the noise you get when you are near an electricity pylon
Yes thats the sound. It's not loud but its always there even when the computer has shut down. I can only hear when I go to the back of computer but I wasn't sure if it should be doing that

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Okay...I'm currently having a hunt around to see if there's an answer. I have just read suggestions from some that it could be coil whine (not sure I believe that). Others suggest that it's normal because the PSU will still run power through it to power the motherboard lights, the CMOS battery etc (more believeable).
I can confirm some lights do stay on despite being powered down, I'd happily have them turned off though if there was a way

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Sounds more like a capacitor - I assume it stops when the plug isn't on?

I did find a post about turning power saving modes off in the BIOS - I'm wasn't even aware this was an option! Maybe look at whether these are on?

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Sounds more like a capacitor - I assume it stops when the plug isn't on?

I did find a post about turning power saving modes off in the BIOS - I'm wasn't even aware this was an option! Maybe look at whether these are on?
It does.
I just had a quick look but couldn’t see anything like that, I use the b550 motherboard if it helps, don’t know if it has that option?

JohnWalton981

Silver Level Poster
Bing (just realised I'm not on Chrome) shows this on the Asus BIOS and the forum post I read said to disable ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bing (just realised I'm not on Chrome) shows this on the Asus BIOS and the forum post I read said to disable ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology)
Please don't do that, that's nothing to do with this and is only relevant to Intel boards which yours isn't.

You don't need to mess with anything in the BIOS, has no relevance to the PSU.

Don't go messing with things unless you understand what you're doing.