Silly question?

Sleinous

Author Level
Folding@Home,

Its all about folding proteins, the way they fold in your body as they change shape. Apparently they change very very quickly, and occasionally, yes, they get it wrong. The whole point of simulating this, is to understand where and how they go wrong basically. So teh whole concept of folding on your pc is just simulating the changes that millions of proteins make every second.

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
It basically uses spare computing power to help in trying to find a cure for diseases. It's extremely beneficial. I've always used BOINC as it has a wide range of different workings (i.e. mapping the Universe, finding large prime numbers as well as the usual disease ones). Can't say I know what I'm doing with this Folding@Home client though.... I have no idea if it's working or not.

Sleinous

Author Level
Folding@Home as a GPU client and a CPU client.

For unfamiliar users, or those that still need most of their computer's prcessing power, the simple GUI client that only uses one core is best suited. For those that want to use every single core/thread, the SMP client needs to be used.

Then of course theres the GPU, GPU3 client is the latest one.

Nvidia GPUs will thrash ATI GPUs at this as the client makes full use of the CUDA technology.

Gorman

Author Level
Sure why not, we have 745 forum members if 10% of them fold and get say 10k PPD per day thats 745000 PPD.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Do you run a different set of tests everytime you "fold" or does everyone "fold" the same test/animation?

Sleinous

Author Level
edit: cant put in my sig :( ive exceeded the 500 character limit apparently. probs all those list tags and bullet points in sig lol