Silver warranty - does it cover individual parts?

beaver

First off, everything is fine with my PC. Nothing is broken. It arrived yesterday at the exact (literal) time DPD said it would and came out of the box in pristine condition. ARMA 2 runs like I fantasized it would and everything is just plain faster (my previous PC was built in 2008).

But I just can't stand the M-ATX motherboard.

It's an oversight on my part, I should've changed it early on... but I didn't. It's sheer ignorance on my part, but to make myself look a tiny bit better, this is why I thought it would be OK: I'm used to single slot graphics cards. I use a Recon3D sound card that runs off a PCIe x1 slot that my new GTX 660 inconveniently blocks - I'm used to a 9600GT that would leave the PCI slot open. So now I can't use my sound card.

That aside, I've hard to install an old Sound Blaster Audigy SE that has no bracket so I've hard to jury rig and completely inconvenient looking "stand" to keep it firmly in place and not flop around inside the x16 (or whatever) slot.

So I'm wondering if the silver warranty covers the return and replacement of single components. If so, I'd want it exchanged with the full sized equivalent and just pay the extra money like I did when it was still processing via amendments.

If the answer is no, this isn't the end of the world. I'll just have to sell the board I have now somehow and order a new one.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Silver warranty covers any problems you may have with your system but no upgrade or change in your original build unless it is a hardware problem. At least that is my understanding of how it works.

Rakk

The Awesome
So I'm wondering if the silver warranty covers the return and replacement of single components. If so, I'd want it exchanged with the full sized equivalent and just pay the extra money like I did when it was still processing via amendments.

As far as I know, no, you cannot just swap something out and pay the difference for an upgrade, since PCS could now not use your M-ATX motherboard as new and therefore could not use it in one of their builds.

Warranties generally only cover for things that break and need fixing/replacing, not just upgrades you wish to have.

Note: I could be wrong on either of my comments, I think my comments make sense but I don't work for PCS so don't have a definitive answer.

steaky360

As Keynes has said the warranty does not cover upgrading parts -there is a service for that however it might be worthwhile giving PCS a ring to see if they can offer you a good deal maybe?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Now that I've received my PC it lets me log into the website and upgrade my rig I think. I believe to upgrade you would have to pay full price for the parts though. Might be worth checking it out by logging in though?

beaver

I've seen it, but the hassle of actually sending the computer back and being in possession of a brand new motherboard I don't need is just too much. I'll have to get a new one, install it myself (not a problem, I was drawn here for the finance option) and somehow find a way to sell the existing one I have now.

steaky360

Its the warranty issues you'll need to be careful of, I would still get in touch and advise PCS of your plans as it may damage your warranty on the other installed components (CPU/Heatsink etc.). Better to be safe than sorry I'd say!

beaver

That's the first thing I thought of. Guess it's another sacrifice I'll have to make. I'd be mad if this wasn't my own oversight. I might send an e-mail through, but I think we all know the answer.

Overall, I'm still incredibly pleased with PCS in all aspects and grateful of this service. There might be a local PC shop that will take the M-ATX motherboard off me, or maybe I'll just keep it as a backup.

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
Like others on here I can't speak for PCS but I agree you can't expect them to honour the guarantee when the first thing you do with your new computer is take it completely to bits!

But I'm intrigued to know why:
I just can't stand the M-ATX motherboard.

What's wrong with it?

Does the computer not work to your satisfaction?

Did you not post the spec on the forum before purchasing?

I'm rather puzzled.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Like others on here I can't speak for PCS but I agree you can't expect them to honour the guarantee when the first thing you do with your new computer is take it completely to bits!

But I'm intrigued to know why:

What's wrong with it?

Does the computer not work to your satisfaction?

Did you not post the spec on the forum before purchasing?

I'm rather puzzled.

I'm puzzled. Did you not read his post? He can't use his Sound Card (which I believe he already owned separately) because the motherboard cannot support it with everything else plugged in.

Tight Git

Bronze Level Poster
I'm puzzled. Did you not read his post? He can't use his Sound Card (which I believe he already owned separately) because the motherboard cannot support it with everything else plugged in.

No, for some reason I somehow missed that bit.

My theory is that he added it in later to make me look stupid but, as you see, I'm perfectly capable of doing that all by myself!

Thanks for pointing that out, at least we can both stop being puzzled now...

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Hmm tricky one what motherboard is it? The Gene? anyway do you have 2x pci-e slots? if so is there no way of swapping the GPU into the other slot opening up the Mini PCIe for your sound card? most higher end M-ATX boards support PCIe (x16) in both avalible PCIe slots.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
No, for some reason I somehow missed that bit.

My theory is that he added it in later to make me look stupid but, as you see, I'm perfectly capable of doing that all by myself!

Thanks for pointing that out, at least we can both stop being puzzled now...

Haha we all have our moments! I do agree with you though that he probably shouldn't be taking it all to bits even if it is for the sake of a sound card. Personal preference at the end of the day though ey.

beaver

Hmm tricky one what motherboard is it? The Gene? anyway do you have 2x pci-e slots? if so is there no way of swapping the GPU into the other slot opening up the Mini PCIe for your sound card? most higher end M-ATX boards support PCIe (x16) in both avalible PCIe slots.

The card is plugged into the PCI 3.0 slot (I only have one).

Calm yourselves, gentlemen.