Simon Scarrow Book series

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Hi, for many years I have read all the books this author has written, and they are the best pieces I have ever read in my opinion. Simon Scarrow has won many best-sellers, and I highly recommend his books to anyone who likes Historical Books, here is a list of his books -

The Eagle Series!! (my fav Series)
The eagle series is about 2 Roman soldiers under the rule of Emperor Claudius AD 42, Centurion macro who is a grizzled Veteran, and young Cato, who has lived in the Royal Palaces in Rome, whi is orderd by the Emporor to server in the Army after Cato's father's death.

Under the Eagle (2000)
The Eagle's Conquest (2001)
When the Eagle Hunts (2002)
The Eagle and the Wolves (2003)
The Eagle's Prey (2004)
The Eagle's Prophecy (2005)
The Eagle in the Sand (2006)
Centurion (2008)
The Gladiator (2009) (My Personal Fav)
The Legion (2010)
Blood Debt (2009, short story)
Praetorian (2011)
The Blood Crows (2013)
Arena (2013) This one is technically not part off the Eagle series, but has one of the 2 main characters (Macro). The Book is sett before the events of of the first book in the Eagle series, which tells the story how macro gains his rank from optio to centurion.

He has Also got a couple of books set in the war Between Napoleon and the British (Wellington).
He has written a book sett in the great siege of Malta, where the Ottoman is at its peak, and the only thing that stands between the Christian world and the Muslim is a Heavily Fortified rock, Defended by the dying order of St Jhon.

He has also written A series on the Roman arena which I believe is at the moment available Digitally.

Hope i have not missed any books out haha, Here is a link to his website (which is shared by his brother Alex Scarrow who writes the Time Rider series which I believe is aimed at younger people, not 100% sure)

And if you have read some of these books, feel free to share any options, without any spoilers lol

IF YOU FOUND THIS INTERESTING PLEASE BE COOL AND +1 REP ;-D

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
nice info mate. I've got a quite a few of his books, however, I don't have the time to read them all. :(

From the ones I have read, I found they were nothing short of excellent!

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Yeah, I have found getting time to read his latest book frustrating to find, work and study gets in the way haha. Just sat reading boring stuff when in front of me I see The blood crows, knowing it's full of epicness haha

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Hi all, just finished reading Arena by simon Scarrow, and I must say it was one of the best books I have read!! If you choose to read it I highly recommend you to read the first in the Eagle series by Scarrow, as the arena has many links to the first book in the eagle series. Not essential, but highly recomended!!!
IF I HAVE INTERESTED U THEN +1 REP (to see how many come across this post)

Cricky

Enthusiast
I'll add him to my list. Always looking for new authors. :)

If you're into historical fiction you could check out Conn Iggulden. He has a serious about Julius Caesar and another about Genhis Khan. Both good reads, in my opinion. :)

KaneMac

Enthusiast
I'll add him to my list. Always looking for new authors. :)

If you're into historical fiction you could check out Conn Iggulden. He has a serious about Julius Caesar and another about Genhis Khan. Both good reads, in my opinion. :)

Will do, thanks. +1 rep for ya. I have also heard of an author called Ben Kane who also writes Books based in the classical Antiquity, not sure if he has written any in other times in history.

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Here is a couple of other books I have started and going to read that are suppose to be very good -

Helmet for my pillow - It's by an american soldier (ex) who fought in the pacific in the ww2, its his accounts of the horrific encounters of bloodshed, struggles of mental health etc. (If u do not want to read this then u can watch the pacific which portrays Leckie's and many other soldiers accounts, very much like Band of Brothers)

The fort by Bernard cornwell - Sett in the colonies of america, and the struggle of independence.

Shōgun (novel) - Set in 16th century japan, where civil war is tearing through the country.

Gates Of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae

tom_gr7

Life Serving
tell you what is a good book. "Azincourt" by Bernard Cornwell. Bet you can guess what it's about :D - Amazon link

I'd quite like to start reading books again, but i can't seem to find the time to nowdays.

KaneMac

Enthusiast
tell you what is a good book. "Azincourt" by Bernard Cornwell. Bet you can guess what it's about :D - Amazon link

I'd quite like to start reading books again, but i can't seem to find the time to nowdays.
Thanks so much for telling me, totally forgot i bought it, and have totally forgot I had it, thanks man!! is it by any chance to to with France lol

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Hi, been a long time since I been on this forum, decided to get back into it, thought I would update this thread to mention simon scarrows new book Britannia, amazing book!! Finally back in my favourite setting! Very interesting plots and twists as usual

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hi, been a long time since I been on this forum, decided to get back into it, thought I would update this thread to mention simon scarrows new book Britannia, amazing book!! Finally back in my favourite setting! Very interesting plots and twists as usual

I've not read any of his books for ages. I have read Bernard Cornwell's Utred (last kingdom) books though. Very good books! Although the Tv series was dire...

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Yeah man, was never interested in the TV series, does no justice. Sharp series is still amazing though haha. Simon scarrow is releasing his new book in November, cannot wait, set in current day spain. Also started reading his series following the life of Arthur Wesley (wellington) and Wellington from childhood to early adulthood (first book in series) also a fantastic read.

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Simon scarrow's new books "Playing with death" is a completely new setting and style of story. it is a modern time setting set in america. it follows an FBI agent in a thriller of a story. Highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan his books. Plus mad to thing this thread has gained so many views

patty

I'm a big fan of the Simon Scarrow series. You might also like Scott Oden's historical fiction! Give it a try if you're looking for something else soon.

KaneMac

Enthusiast
Been a while, hope all are well!!

Currently reading the latest in the series " Day of the Caesars " which is the 16th in the series. So far it has to be one of the best books in my opinion so far (The gladiator is still to be my favourite) Macro ans Cato return to Rome after a rough campign in the arid landscapes of current day Spain (Invictis 15th book in series). Have also been reading some of Ben Kane's work which so far is really entertaining, both the Punic and Germanic war series.

Feel free to share views and what you are also reading at the moment, plus finally got to see Rome for real last year, amazing place!!