Simple k Type CPU Question...?

dandino

Hi All,

I want the flexibility of being able to overclock my CPU occasionaly for certain tasks such as video transcoding/editing, but most of the time I just want to run in standard stock mode. My question is this: if I order the Intel i7 2600k from the "Desktop" section of PCS rather than the "Overclocked" section will it be in overclock mode when I receive it or will it be in stock mode?

It appears from what I have seen and gathered from reading posts that if I order from the "Overclocked" PCs section I will get an Overclocked k CPU, whereas if I order a k type CPU from the "Desktop" section I will get the same k CPU with the only difference being that the k CPU hasn't yet been overclocked and is ready and waiting should I wish to overclock it. Am I correct in assuming this?

Also due to the fact that I will only overclock occasionally can I get away with a lower spec PC case such as The Coolermaster Sileo 500 Super Quiet Case, or do I need something with a little more ventilation and more/larger fans for when I do overclock?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Grinder

Enthusiast
If you overclock the standard k you will void the warranty on the CPU.if you buy the pre-overclocked chip you should be able to under clock back to standard in the BIOS and you can then boot up in either mode when you want.
Saving money on a case and cooling when you are buying an expensive chip seems like a bad idea to me.

Rakk

The Awesome
If you overclock the standard k you will void the warranty on the CPU.

Not quite :)
You are allowed to overclock your CPU without voiding the warranty as long as your attempts at overclocking aren't the cause of something breaking.

dandino

ok thanks for the info and advice both. Well it appears then that its probably less of a risk to order a pre-overclocked k CPU and set back to stock settings when not requiring overclocked mode. Therefore I think that is what I will do. And yes it probably is a bad idea to compromise on the case - I just wasnt sure about how an occasional overclock might affect the CPU in terms of extra heat? Any way better to err on the side of caution and stick with a reliable case such as Storm Enforcer...yes Ill do that, thanks again guys..

Grinder

Enthusiast
You are allowed to overclock your CPU without voiding the warranty as long as your attempts at overclocking aren't the cause of something breaking.

I think if you blow the CPU while overclocking pcs won't give you a new one.
PCS will do a pre overclock and give you a warranty as long as you don't overclock again with different settings because you could mess up your pc if you don't know what you are doing.

Rakk

The Awesome

I think if you blow the CPU while overclocking pcs won't give you a new one.

Yes, that was what I was trying to get across, but it doesn't mean you can't overclock at all :)

Grinder

Enthusiast
Yes, that was what I was trying to get across, but it doesn't mean you can't overclock at all :)

LOL you mean its ok to overclock your cpu as long as you dont fry it, but if you do blow it (and pcs who have safeguards in place to find out if you have been messing about)
then you warranty will be void.

dont get me wrong and you may be a expert pro overclocker and will be able to get the most out of you chip then by all means go for it .

but you are wrong about giving people the impression that its ok to mess about with your pc and if it goes pete tong dont worry because its under warranty and you can get it all replaced .
My advice would be buy a cheep ass pc to play on if you want to learn how to over clock and be satisfied with a top of the range ninja pc unless you know what you are doing.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
but you are wrong about giving people the impression that its ok to mess about with your pc and if it goes pete tong dont worry because its under warranty and you can get it all replaced .

All I was saying is that overclocking your CPU does not automatically void your warranty :)
I personally don't like overclocking and don't do it, but some do and know exactly what they are doing, so it's an option.