Six core 3930k 3.2GHz OC @4.3GHz

Hi

I recently ordered a custom built PC from PCS. Here are the specs:

NZXT PHANTOM 410 WHITE GAMING CASE

Overclocked Intel® Six Core i7-3930K @4.3ghz

ASUS® P9X79: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011

32GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(8 x 4GB KIT)

2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)

2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80

Processor Cooling:

SPIRE GEMINI REV.3-THERMAX HDT TWIN FAN CPU COOLER

ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Everything runs really well and the temperatures are stable on all the components. However, it has been suggested that the temperature of my CPU is way too high.

Tests: IDLE - 4325 MHz and 1.360v

Real Temp GT - 48C
ASUS AI - 40C
SpeedFan - 48C
Core Temp - 48C

Tests: 100% Load - 4325 MHz and 1.360v

Real Temp GT - 88C
ASUS AI - 56C
Speedfan - 86C
Core Temp - 87C

I need some guidance here. What do I do to reduce the temperature? Without reducing performance?

Buzz

Master
Those temps seem fine under air cooling and with an overclock. Once the frequency changes on the CPU it will boost the temps somewhat regardless. With water cooling (sealed) you could drop those temps by about 8°c and open water loop depending on hardware could drop the temps more. Also could be possible to maybe change the fans on the cooler for a focused flow fan in push/pull. Best way to keep the temps lower is invest in a better cooler, or disable the overclock when not using it and 2bh you wont see any huge difference in performance anyway unless you are benchmarking or the likes.

Ai Suite will show the socket temp rather then the core temp thats why it will be a little cooler.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
On ASUS AI Suite, you can set the fan speed to Turbo mode, or you can set a custom mode that is higher than that

Have a look at HWMonitor as well for temps, I always find that on accurate

I will not be doing anything CPU heavy for about 6 months. After that I will start doing heavy rendering which will put my RAM and CPU under 100% load easily. (lets say about two or three times a week) How long do you think the processor is going to last?

On ASUS AI Suite, you can set the fan speed to Turbo mode, or you can set a custom mode that is higher than that

Have a look at HWMonitor as well for temps, I always find that on accurate

It is in turbo mode already. I was thinking about playing with custom settings but it is an uncharted territory for me. Also, what are the pro's and con's of increasing the performance of the CPU fans?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
as long as you allow it to keep itself at a good temperature it will be fine, when I do run folding, my CPU is usually around 52-53c at the most because I have a custom setting allowing the fan to go higher, set up a custom setting and it will keep it cooler, or if you choose disable on the ASUS suite, the CPU fans should go to 100% speed, and also shouldn't be too loud from personal experience, you should also be able to control the case fans through the same program but you must change the setting to chassis fan from the drop down box, unless you have a manual fan controller on the case then use that to put the fan speed up to allow for more airflow

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It is in turbo mode already. I was thinking about playing with custom settings but it is an uncharted territory for me. Also, what are the pro's and con's of increasing the performance of the CPU fans?

You will not break anything by setting up a custom setting, just drag the points on the graph to where you think appropriate with fan speed going up the side and temperature along the bottom

Increasing Performance of fans, hmm
Pros: More cooling CPU is cooler, prevents it from automatically clocking down when too hot, prolong CPU life
Cons: Louder, May reduce life of fans (although they last so long that you will have purchased a new PC by then)

Buzz

Master
You will not break anything by setting up a custom setting, just drag the points on the graph to where you think appropriate with fan speed going up the side and temperature along the bottom

Pros: More cooling CPU is cooler, prevents it from automatically clocking down when too hot, prolong CPU life
Cons: Louder, May reduce life of fans (although they last so long that you will have purchased a new PC by then)

Yeh I agree mate. I have mine (all 3 pips) dragged to the top so they are on 100% while OC is on or prime or what not. They can be dragged up and down no worries at all. I also run prime and what not a fair bit, never have a problem having full load. I would suggest tho if you are running the comp 24/7 for a few days a week then I would prob invest in a better cooler. The cooler you have OP, is good but there are better for heavy duty constant comp running.

Idle CPU Temp is now at stable 42C. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Yeh I agree mate. I have mine (all 3 pips) dragged to the top so they are on 100% while OC is on or prime or what not. They can be dragged up and down no worries at all. I also run prime and what not a fair bit, never have a problem having full load. I would suggest tho if you are running the comp 24/7 for a few days a week then I would prob invest in a better cooler. The cooler you have OP, is good but there are better for heavy duty constant comp running.

I might get one of those intel liquid coolers in the future. Thanks for the suggestions!

Grinder

Enthusiast
The built in protection in the chip will slow the clock speeds down if the chip is in danger and should last up till your next upgrade.

I've had a few computers and the CPUs all work still even though they are stored away.