Skiing

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Never been, but wouldn't mind giving it a go. My logic is I can ice skate and go roller skates, so how hard can it be :wheelchair:

I don't have much more to add, but I will await the replies for my own information too.

bigben

Master Poster
ME!
Love it. I'm a fairly high standard so need challenging runs. Also , being 20, the drinking is very important too.

I've been to tignes& Val desaire twice. Fantastic skiing, great apres. Expensive tho.
I've been to bormio (italy) too on a school trip, don't remember how much stuff was over there but I remember the pistes were a bit tame (perfect for beginners tho)
My best mate did a season in fernie (Canada) and another mate did a season in Banff (also in canada). Both said it was the best winter of their lives, there is amazing off piste there.

I particularly want to go to st Anton (austria) which in well known for having incredible apres.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been quite a lot although not for a few years. I tried snowboarding about 20 years ago and never ski'd again, love boarding.

I've done the three valleys (merribel, courcheval, val thorens) excellent skiing, but as bigben says, very expensive. Did tignes in France also, also excellent, home of 'the wall', bloody terrifying vertical drop. Worked for a season as a snowboard instructor in Slovakia, the weather is a bit dramatic, but if you want a cheaper holiday, I'd recommend chopok in the south, loads of off piste, really nice skiing: http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/jasnachopok/trail-map/

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
There are a few of us who goto France every year. I am at the off piste / back mountain stage. I have only been there for 3 weeks but we usually hop over the river to France and then spend a week at Chamrousse which is nice a quiet and you have the mountain to yourself. A few bars and places to eat, but the best thing is that it is well cheap. We book this via snowtrex when they have their deals on - around november time and sometimes in Jan/feb. I am hoping to go in Jan and then maybe towards the end of march.

For a whole week, including flights, food, accommodation and ski pass it works out about 500 per person.

As far as other places - I have not been yet but looking to explore somewhere else maybe next year. I am buying some new boots this year and im hoping that I can put them to good use.

Its really worth going if you can get some people to go with you. I love it.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I love skiing, unfortunately I haven't been abroad for a number of years now, but I would say I'm an advanced skier.

I bought my ex a skiing lesson for her birthday at XScape in Castleford. It was great because I just got to bomb down a little slope over and over again whilst she got taught :)

In the past I have been to La Plagne in France and then Kitzbuhel and Salbaach in Austria - Austria was the best!

The day I had loose bindings going down a black run wasn't fun though :( A lump of ice caused one ski to come off just before a tight bend and regrettably that prevented me from turning, so I just went straight off a cliff and into the safety netting. It caused a massive cut to my cheek, and the tip of my remaining ski (not sure how this happened) came up and cut me across my neck near the jugular. Aside from that it was pretty comical to watch, I imagine :)

bigben

Master Poster
The day I had loose bindings going down a black run wasn't fun though :( A lump of ice caused one ski to come off just before a tight bend and regrettably that prevented me from turning, so I just went straight off a cliff and into the safety netting. It caused a massive cut to my cheek, and the tip of my remaining ski (not sure how this happened) came up and cut me across my neck near the jugular. Aside from that it was pretty comical to watch, I imagine :)

Never had anything scary like that, but I remember last time I went skiing on hired (piste) skis there, we were racing down down a steep bit. According to our app we were all going about 45mph. We got to a flat bit where the powder was quite a lot deeper than it had been on the slope. My legs decelerated massively but my torso carried on bombing it down the hill.
I eventually found my ski about 20 metres behind where I had landed. Needless to say, I got fail of the day and had to buy the first round that evening...

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
To be honest, the scariest bit was when we all piled down the slide at the pool on the last day - when I got on the slide the cheek scab was there, when we got off it was stuck on my mates back like a baby tribble...!

GRIM.

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
Sounds fun :)

Like anything, if you go for it then you likely have an accident. Within my first week i ended up nearly killing myself twice because I went a little over the top. First time on a mountain and on black runs 2 days in. Nothing like going in at the deep end. After a set of bruised ribs, 2 black eyes and an aching head I decided that the next few runs were going to be with a helmet and taking it a little easier this time :)

Anyway I am buying some better boots this year. The problem with hire kit (which is what I found) is its not really custom to you as a person. Generally its ok but if you want to really connect with your skis then something like boots are really important.

I am looking forward at going again. Only 4 of us going in Jan but usually there is space for 6 so I think its going to be a little quiet.

bigben

Master Poster
Anyway I am buying some better boots this year. The problem with hire kit (which is what I found) is its not really custom to you as a person.

DON'T do what I did the first time I bought skiing boots and go in the sales. There will be a drastically reduced range and you are less likely to get a perfect fit because of it.
Snow & Rock are a pretty safe bet because they will look at your feet and know which boots will suit your feet (and then do the custom fitting as well), they price match and usually have a decent range. Also, don't be swayed by what they look like, fit is SO much more important! A poorly fitting pair of boots can ruin your holiday (it did for me, and then I lost a toenail as well for the same reason).

Don't be afraid to splash the cash. If the perfect fitting boots cost £200 then lovely, if they cost £300 then so be it. Even if your boots cost £450 + £70 for a custom footbed, then still will have paid for themselves after 6 weeks skiing and they will have improved your technique and most importantly are comfy!

I'm planning on getting a trip with my mate the week before Christmas (restricted by his holidays from uni) and my Dad also mentioned taking my Family in Feb as well! YAY!

WortonTech

Bronze Level Poster
DON'T
Snow & Rock are a pretty safe bet because they will look at your feet and know which boots will suit your feet (and then do the custom fitting as well), they price match and usually have a decent range.

Yep this is who I am using.

I am looking at the Salomon xmax 100's. At the moment I have some rossies but they dont fit very well (a bit of foot movement when doing off piste)

So going for the custom thermal fit and getting my feet measured up properly.

bigben

Master Poster
Yeah, the salomons are a often a good bet. I have xmax 120s and they are lovely. My mate has xpro120s and he wouldn't change them for anything.