Sky is apparently the same as skype

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32593735

This might be the most ridiculous use of EU rules on trademark registration I have ever seen.

So apparently now we (the public) could easily confuse Sky and skype and somehow think they are linked in some way.

My favourite part of the judgement was about the cloud-like logo of skype...

"[That] would further increase the likelihood of the element 'Sky' being recognised within the word element 'Skype', for clouds are to be found 'in the sky' and thus may readily be associated with the word 'sky'."

Seriously? They actually used the phrase "clouds are to be found in the sky"...

Not saying Microsoft are some sort of victim, but this just smacks of far overreaching powers being used for rather odd things :)

Pagey

Bright Spark
Funniest thing is Skype has been around for years, now they're owned by someone big Sky get a bit jelly and want some form of compensation.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Funniest thing is Skype has been around for years, now they're owned by someone big Sky get a bit jelly and want some form of compensation.

It mentions in the article - but the same thing happened with SkyDrive - although to me that is far more understandable. Is it a cloud service offered by Sky, for instance.

Skype though? Nope, I don't see it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Perhaps they'll try to stop owners of small yachts being called "skipper"? I mean, it sounds a bit like Sky and a good skipper is always studying the clouds. What on Earth will we call ourselves now....?!

:surrender:

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Well I think the ruling makes sense - and for additional reasons that weren't covered by the ruling. Skype is a service for talking to other people and the Sky remote looks a bit like a mobile phone.

I can't tell you how many times I've dialled my friends number on the Sky remote and held it to my ear...

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I vote sky should pay for all the global warming prevention measures as they have exploited mother natures trademark.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Am genuinely concerned for work now.

skybus-fly-to-scilly.jpg

Think we might be getting a knock on the door from Murdoch's men soon!

(though we was 'ere first!)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Wait, there's a difference between to two?! I thought if you have sky they give you skype for free?!

I mean seriously, how big a potato do you have to be to get them confused?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Wait, there's a difference between to two?! I thought if you have sky they give you skype for free?!

I mean seriously, how big a potato do you have to be to get them confused?

Well clearly you have to be an EU lawyer to do that.....

[rollinglaugh]