Skyfire II !

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Ok so iv been long awaiting this laptop, and during my wait have been toying with a desktop, but iv settled on a laptop now and wont change my mind again! (hopefully..)

Anyway this is the spec iv come up with, how does it look?
Main use is for gaming, want to be able to play newer games at high settings, skyrim being the first intensive game i will try!

Chassis & Display
SkyFire:17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M - 1.5GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 4 in 1 Card Reader (SDXC/MMC/MS/XD)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & INTEL WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 3 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
SkyFire Series 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 720P 30 FPS HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Hi I'm in the same situation wanting a laptop to play total war games on high settings : ) . And I thought I was going to get a vortex with ib but then this new bad boy came to town and it looms good for a reasonable price too : ). Nice spec too.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Yeh id also looked at the vortex, but imo the design of this laptop is pretty sick and the price is lower aswell which allways helps! haha.

My only issue is whether the 670m will be able to handle new games on high settings??

Lappygamer

Bronze Level Poster
Lol yep price is gooooood! I'm not to savvy on gaming specs mate but I'm only really playing total war games and it should eat them alive I'm hoping : ) . I done a bit of research on the gtx670 and it seems to have gd feedback on multi able sites for standing up to games. Hope fully some one with some real knowledge will enlighten us .

Yevad

The question is does one wait for the Ivy Bridge chip to be released or go for a the existing Sandy Bridge chip, decisions decisions lol....

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Would someone be able to comment on the above posted spec, and if it will run the likes of skyrim at high settings with a decent fps?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Would someone be able to comment on the above posted spec, and if it will run the likes of skyrim at high settings with a decent fps?

Great spec, well balanced! As beanruz has stated it can run Skyrim at 30odd FPS on ultra.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
What is the difference between the 500gb and the 750gb hybrid seagate momentus drives?

500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

Obviously the SATA is bigger on the 750 model, but what exactly does this mean?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I think first one is 300mb per second and the second one is 600mb per second in terms of data transfers. I would assume the second one is faster.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Been doing some research and it seems that a HDD cannot really reach the full 6gb/s? and the 6gb is only really meant for SSD?

Is this true or have i misunderstood?

Finn

Enthusiast
A single 7200rpm hard drive cant even reach the full sata 2 speeds since that is 300 megabytes per second and a very good hard drive can reach around 140 megabytes per second (laptop drives tend to be slower)

Even first generation SSD's are under that at as I think they were in the low 200s, its only the latest SSDs that beat that.

That is oversimplifying ever so slightly as a hard drive still has a cache which is a lot quicker so the bus speed can speed up cache-hits but that doesnt really affect day to day performance.

(if you are wondering why 3 gigabits per second = 300 megabytes per second, although there are 8 bits to the byte there are 2 bits of overhead for every byte sent across the bus so you just divide the bus speed by 10)

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Ok im not that fluent in computer jargin so im afraid alot of that is lost on me Finn :p but thanks all the same for such a detailed explanation

But to clairfy, there is no real benefit of going for the 750gb hybrid over the 500gb hybrid other than 250gb extra storage?

Also im currently deciding whether or not to get a cooling pad, and am torn between Zalman ZM-NC1000 (on the config page) and Targus Lap Chilll Mat (from amazon).
I will often have the laptop on my lap on the sofa so comfort is a big must for me and the reviews on the Targus one look very good comfort wise.

Any advice?

Last edited: