Skyfire not charging

Sukotto

I've had my new SkyFire III 15.6 for four days now - totally rocking system - but this morning I'm getting the same issue 'plugged in, not charging'.

As above, I've also done the whole switching off, unplugging, draining, removing battery, returning battery process. To no avail.

I have found a discussion around this issue, but want to speak to PCS before trying anything too drastic - at least it works plugged-in.

I'll report back if I do/don't find a solution...

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Sukotto

Spoke to PCS Support and they advised me to (remembering that every case is individual and may not apply to your personal machine):

1. Let the battery run dry.
2. Let the battery charge fully without the machine running.
3. Boot back up and hope that issue has been resolved.

This is possibly do to Windows not always playing nicely with batteries, etc...

Hopefully I'll be following up with a success story...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
fingers crossed it works for you bud. How is the skyfire? I wouldnt mind one myself, quite like the look of the MSI chassis.

Sukotto

Solid Machine

The chassis, while fairly hefty, is very robust, well engineered and slick :tank:. The cover is actually frosted/matt-black, non-reflective surface - like it was meant for cloaking :D. It's plastic, but ever so solid :yes:

Basically, it absolutely rocks and has the bonus of the unmentioned short-cuts at the top to allow you to:
  1. Turn on your fan at will (as well as auto)
  2. Turn on/off keyboard lighting
  3. Airplane mode
  4. Screen off (much more useful than I thought)
  5. Disc eject (n/a to me as I took the extra drive caddy instead)

Also, even though I only went for the default sound (Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack), I was watching a film with great sound projection across the room (10-15 feet).

This is a really good piece of kit, and the build/ordering process was actually fun... go figure.

For anyone who hasn't tried PCS before, I highly recommend them (no affiliation what-so-ever).

All the best...

Sukotto

Re my issue - and a big thanks to @tom_gr7 for pointing out that the SkyFire III is a MSI chassis - it turns out that, by design, there are times when the battery will not charge when above 95%. This is to help preserve the life of the battery (always a good idea), and meant to happen.

This can be found on the MSI site.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Re my issue - and a big thanks to @tom_gr7 for pointing out that the SkyFire III is a MSI chassis - it turns out that, by design, there are times when the battery will not charge when above 95%. This is to help preserve the life of the battery (always a good idea), and meant to happen.

This can be found on the MSI site.

That's good info, thanks for posting it.

Sukotto

It's the very least I could & should do - pay it forward, and such.

I've found so much mutual support through forums like this that it would be nigh on hypocritical for me not to pay back what little I can. Besides - not to sound too cheesy here - I've really enjoyed my first PCS experience - and, of course, all the 'oooohs' and 'aaahs' I'm getting from showing off my new piece of kit :D

Last edited: