SLI....worth it?

L33s2good

Gold Level Poster
Hi just checking if my motherboard on order ASUS® CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, R.O GAMERS is compatable with sli, i dont know an awful lot about sli, just that its 2 graphic cards???? i ordered a 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD 6870 PCI EXPRESS but will get another in the future if its worth it?? i play games mainly, and was just wondering if you think its worth getting another card in the near future? if so what are the benefits of doing so?

Thanx for any replies!

Craig

Silver Level Poster
The benefits of doing so is pretty much 2 graphics cards doing the work instead of 1, although this means more heat and more power needed.
If you wish to add another gfx card in the future make sure you're power supply is high enough to handle another one (normally 850W is fine)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The HD6870 is an AMD graphics card so when you use two it's called Crossfire and yes that motherboard will run two HD6870's, SLI is where two Nvidia cards are used together. The benefit of doing this is an increase in frames per second but not all games support it and there's a higher power consumption and more heat and noise produced. So it's worth it if you think that the positives outweigh the negatives, you'll need at least a TX650 power supply to run two HD6870's together.