Sli

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Since getting my new PC I'm now on a neverending quest to discover more and more about the innards. When I selected the GTX690 I wasn't really sure if it was any good. Since then I understand that it's a dual GPU which is essentially two 680's in one card, correct?

Since then I've been hearing a lot about SLI (which after a quick Google means Scalable Link Interface). I'm still not sure what this means though? As I understand the GTX690 supports 4-way SLI. What does this mean exactly? Lamen's terms would be great! How would I go about setting up a 4-way SLI?

Cheers as ever!

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
So would it only be possible to have 2 GTX690's? Say if I wanted 3 690's - that wouldn't be possible?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So would it only be possible to have 2 GTX690's? Say if I wanted 3 690's - that wouldn't be possible?

I don't think 3 x GTX 690s is possible. The maximum you could SLI will be 2 with the GTX 690, diminishing returns will also kick in if it was possible.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Ok I think I'm with you. So when people say "Should I SLI?" They're basically asking if they should have two graphics cards in their rig?

kruppsy

Master
Ok I think I'm with you. So when people say "Should I SLI?" They're basically asking if they should have two graphics cards in their rig?

Yes :) SLI is NVIDIA terminology for multiple card set ups.

The AMD equivalent of pairing two cards is called 'Crossfire'

Some motherboards will support 3 cards working together I think (keynes is right, not the 690 though). Crossfire also gives you the chance to mix different spec cards (within reason) whilst NVIDIAs SLI must use identical cards (not necessarily the same brand)

Last edited: