Slow Boot query

mrmad1966

Hi folks just got a 17" Defiance, i7, 32RAM, 1TB M.2. Didn't want Windows as I'll be running Ubuntu. Issue for me is this laptop boots even slower than the 6 year old Dell XPS it's replacing.
I've had a fiddle in the BIOS with no discernable difference just wondering if anyone has any ideas to help. Cheers

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is it the POST process that takes time or the initial booting of the OS (after POST) that's slow?

In some BIOS setups you can specify what POST testing is done. If that is available, and set to maximal testing, then it might take a while. If you do have a POST setting you might try the minimal setting, bearing in mind that some obscure hardware failures might then not be flagged.

In addition, you have 32GB or RAM installed and it will take some time for POST to enumerate all of that.

Can you please post the full spec from the order page so that everyone knows exactly what build they're looking at? :)

mrmad1966

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking it's the POST process. As soon as the PC logo disappears Linux starts quick enough. I don't think I saw a POST option in the BIOS as I only received laptop yesterday. I did see a fast Boot option but changing that has made no difference so far. Will have another scout through it later. Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking it's the POST process. As soon as the PC logo disappears Linux starts quick enough. I don't think I saw a POST option in the BIOS as I only received laptop yesterday. I did see a fast Boot option but changing that has made no difference so far. Will have another scout through it later. Thanks
As a test try removing one of your RAM sticks (I assume it's 2 x 16GB?) and boot again. If the POST is quicker it'll be enumerating your RAM that takes the time I'd guess.

Can you post the full spec from the order page please? It helps if we all know exactly what build we're looking at. :)