Slow Internet Speed Issue

geordiewomble

Since obtaining my new PC in late November, I have been somewhat plagued by intermittent/slow wireless Internet speeds (frequently just 2 bars, followed by disconnecting and limited reconnection).

Although not that technically-minded, I have been able to make a few tweaks to the system, including the simple step of moving the aerials from the wireless card so they stick out rather than up! The CPU is now running at the maximum 3.4Mhz speed, it's configured for dual-core operation, it's even been downgraded from IE11 to IE10 to see if it works better, but to no avail (and I should point out that I've hooked up my nearly 5-year-old previous PC (running Vista, 2.4Mhz processor) for comparison, and it connects and runs the Internet quicker).

Can anyone think of any other settings that I could look at switching, or might the problem be hardware-based?

steaky360

I note you're talking about wireless access to the internet. To narrow down the causes, I'd first suggest hooking the PC up to the router with an Ethernet cable. That will help decide if its the wireless card (its most often the problem) or the router. If its still slow then the problem could lie with the router, I'd suggest restarting it in the first instance and if that doesn't fix it maybe contact the ISP.

If it is faster plugged in with a wire, chances are its an issue the wireless signal, you could try to increase the gain on the wireless card by repositioning the PC (if possible), getting a wireless repeater or failing all of those, using homeplugs as an alternative.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you already trying uninstalling all the drivers and refitting the card then you could consider a pair of home plugs if it is an option.