Slow reading disks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Apparently my 840 Evo and MX500 SSDs have lower Random Read speeds (85MB/S and ~60MB/S) than your 6TB HDD with the TV episodes on it (~98MB/S).

Case closed?

Rych1506

Thanks for that advice although it does not answer the hickup I get when going to read or write from the disks or when I want to change directories. Although the delay is not that long it is annoying especially when I need it almost straight away. I will time the actual delay and at a guess it is between 10 to 15 seconds. The only visible symptoms are the disk access light being hard on and the computer just freezes in that task. It is still usable in other tasks as long as I do not need to do any disk access.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for that advice although it does not answer the hickup I get when going to read or write from the disks or when I want to change directories. Although the delay is not that long it is annoying especially when I need it almost straight away. I will time the actual delay and at a guess it is between 10 to 15 seconds. The only visible symptoms are the disk access light being hard on and the computer just freezes in that task. It is still usable in other tasks as long as I do not need to do any disk access.
You can check in task manager to see what's using the disk at that time

Rych1506

Thank you all for helping me eliminate another possibility. I have had no luck in finding what is accessing the disks during the lock out but at least I know the memory and drives are not the cause so it could be the CPU or some software that is the problem and it is most likely to be software related. Anyhow, I will try and find a solution but thanks again for all your help

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open the Windows Resource Monitor (enter resmon in the Run box) and expand the Disk section. Click the Response Time header to sort on that column, by default it's descending but each time you click on the header it swaps between ascending and descending, we want descending so that the process with the longest response time is at the top. That's likely to be the process (or processes) that are slowing your disk access time down.

You might also click on the Total (B/sec) header to sort on that field instead (ascending and descending as before). The busiest processes are at the top (when descending sort) and they are also likely to be responsible for much of the disk activity time.

I'm now thinking that there is some process (or processes) running on your system that is hammering your disk(s) and that's what's making them slow. Resource Monitor should show you what these are.

BTW. I notice that you use Process Explorer (procexp.exe)? That is a massively powerful tool that can cause all sorts of problems if used unwisely. Have you every used it to change CPU or I/O priorities? Have you made any other changes with it? Used as a pure status display it's fine, but if you start changing stuff with it you can really screw things up.....

Rych1506

Process explorer is used only as a status display and to kill processes when a normal method fails which happens very rarely.
Will try what you suggest with resmon and let you know the results if any.

Rych1506

Finally a solution. Thanks one and all for helping me eliminate what wasn't the problem. It turned out in the end to be a windows program called CompatTelRunner.exe that was the culprit. After reading about it and how to remove it (was said that you can delete it but all I did was rename it just in case), my system is back to normal. Great forum

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Finally a solution. Thanks one and all for helping me eliminate what wasn't the problem. It turned out in the end to be a windows program called CompatTelRunner.exe that was the culprit. After reading about it and how to remove it (was said that you can delete it but all I did was rename it just in case), my system is back to normal. Great forum
That's the Windows 10 Compatability Telemetry tool, it gathers usage and performance data which is sent to Microsoft. There were issues with it in earlier releases of Windows 10 but this is the first I've heard of it being a problem in recent releases.

One thing I would certainly do is run a few on-demand anti-malware scanners on that file and on your whole system because that level of activity is unusual.

You can disable it in the task scheduler, on mine it's scheduled to run at 3am every day and that is the default setting. I very much doubt that it should be running during the normal day.

Rather than rename the executable, which might have other unforeseen consequences, it would be better to disable the task in Task Scheduler that triggers it. In the Task Scheduler you'll find it in the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience. Right-click on the Microsoft Compatability Appraiser entry and select Disable, it's also worth right-clicking on the ProgramDataUpdater entry and disabling that too.

If it were mine I'd be very uncomfortable with either of these workarounds, clearly there is something fundamentally unusual in your rig. It might be worth opening an elevated command prompt and running the sfc /scannow command. If that fails with errors found and not corrected then run the dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth command, if that fails you should seriously consider a reinstall of Windows. If it indicates no corruption of the compnent store then run the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command and then run sfc /scannow again, you should find that sfc can now fix any errors - if not consider a reinstall.

I would definitely NOT consider this problem fixed on your system.

Rych1506

That's the Windows 10 Compatability Telemetry tool, it gathers usage and performance data which is sent to Microsoft. There were issues with it in earlier releases of Windows 10 but this is the first I've heard of it being a problem in recent releases.

One thing I would certainly do is run a few on-demand anti-malware scanners on that file and on your whole system because that level of activity is unusual.

You can disable it in the task scheduler, on mine it's scheduled to run at 3am every day and that is the default setting. I very much doubt that it should be running during the normal day.

Rather than rename the executable, which might have other unforeseen consequences, it would be better to disable the task in Task Scheduler that triggers it. In the Task Scheduler you'll find it in the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience. Right-click on the Microsoft Compatability Appraiser entry and select Disable, it's also worth right-clicking on the ProgramDataUpdater entry and disabling that too.

If it were mine I'd be very uncomfortable with either of these workarounds, clearly there is something fundamentally unusual in your rig. It might be worth opening an elevated command prompt and running the sfc /scannow command. If that fails with errors found and not corrected then run the dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth command, if that fails you should seriously consider a reinstall of Windows. If it indicates no corruption of the compnent store then run the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command and then run sfc /scannow again, you should find that sfc can now fix any errors - if not consider a reinstall.

I would definitely NOT consider this problem fixed on your system.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and not W10

Rych1506

I have but just in case I missed something that starts it from another process is why I renamed the exe but so I do not lose it in case it affects something else.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have but just in case I missed something that starts it from another process is why I renamed the exe but so I do not lose it in case it affects something else.
AFAIK the only things that start it are those two tasks, the reason I'm unhappy renaming it is just in case some other process references it and fails because it's not there.

That said, and this is a bit later to the above, some websites advocate deleting it. I certainly wouldn't do that but I guess you're renaming is safe then. [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk