Slow SSD causing random fps drops, weird configuration problem.

timnut569

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1866MHz X.M.P(2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON V+200 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (535MB/R, 460MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Ok, so out of the blue I started getting random fps drops in more demanding games (Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite), some pretty huge all the way down to single digits accompanied by a glitchy sound. I checked core temps and GPU performance and it seemed fine. It turned out out that playing them on the HDD solved the problem, so the SSD was at fault.

After testing, AS SSD Benchmark it came up with 'pciide=BAD" which is usually a sign that SATA is configured to IDE causing slow SSD speeds, however it is configured to AHCI so I am at a loss to figure out what is causing the problem.

I tested the SSD in both IDE and AHCI to see the difference and there isn't any significant change.

IDE: as-ssd-bench KINGSTON SVP200S 28.07.2013 14-44-55.png

AHCI: as-ssd-bench KINGSTON SVP200S 28.07.2013 15-02-05.png

Any ideas?

EDIT: Those scores are really low full stop aren't they?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You're right that pciide=bad is a sign that the drive is/was in IDE mode not ACHI mode. However, if you installed Windows in IDE mode simply changing the setting in the BIOS to ACHI is not enough. Windows has registry entries that tell it the SATA mode.

The safest solution is to reinstall Windows having checked that the BIOS is set to ACHI first. If that's really not an option then a Google search found a registry hack at http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...08-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation. I've never tried this though and I'd be a bit wary. If it were mine I'd reinstall Windows.

timnut569

Thanks, according to regedit that value is already set to zero, so I presume reinstall is the only solution.

However, I'm having the same glitches playing games on my HDD now so I think this is a GPU issue after all. :(

Maybe a full reinstall would solve that too, unless its just broken.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, according to regedit that value is already set to zero, so I presume reinstall is the only solution.

However, I'm having the same glitches playing games on my HDD now so I think this is a GPU issue after all. :(

Maybe a full reinstall would solve that too, unless its just broken.

My view has always been that when you have an OS that you're not 100% sure of it's best to reinstall. :yes:

Yamikotai

Expert
My view has always been that when you have an OS that you're not 100% sure of it's best to reinstall. :yes:
Mine too :D Otherwise you always have little niggle in the back of your mind saying 'it's not right... it needs to be right...'